how do we read runes that fall sideways?

zorya

:confused:
yesterday, i laid out a rune and it was lying on it's side. not sure how to read it i tossed it to see how it would fall. it fell sideways again, but in the opposite direction lol.

so what should i do? do i turn it one quarter turn clockwise, or read it upright, maybe just look at the basic meaning of it or decide based on the other runes, or.............?

Angel Star

Sounds like the negative and positive part of the rune is trying to get your attention. I would read both aspects of the rune into the reading myself. You tossed it twice and it was still on its side which sounds like to me both meanings are tryint to get your attention. Which rune was it?

Umbrae

Positive

Merkstave is very specific (in layout, or casting).

If it is not in a Merkstave position when drawing (for layout), or a definite Merkstave position for casting, it is to be read as a regular Rune.

On the other hand, Angel Star stated that both the positive AND negative aspects of the rune were attempting to gain you attention. Good Call!

Some Runes don't have a Merkstave reading for casting, only for layouts (which comes a bit later in the study group).

Thanks for the question!

Phoenix

Merkstave is reversed, right, Umbrae??