How do you make your own spreads?

manmer15

A bit confused

I'm a little inexperienced with the tarot (however I can assure you I'm getting there), so I've been wondering about several things, particularly one thing that has to do with the things I've come across on this site.

How exactly do you make your own spreads? Do you just think of one or is the process more complex than that? And usually I ask questions regarding deceased family members and I draw three cards, each meaning the same thing, so I can see if they all share a similar meaning (since I understand that every card has several meanings and it's quite difficult for me to choose to listen to one meaning out of like six). Am I doing things correctly?

**edited by moderator to remove request to make new thread**

Sheri

Hi Manmer15 :)

There is no right or wrong way to read the cards and there's no right or wrong way to create your own spreads. As you work with the cards, you will develop preferences for layouts and positions. Before long, you will be making your own spreads, too!

If you are going to make your own spread, you might want to try this process -

1. Determine purpose of spread
2. Figure out important aspects of that purpose
3. Formulate positions that are associated with those aspects
4. Experiment, experiment, experiment

This is what I do when I create a spread for myself. If cards relate to each other, you might want to consider how you want to lay them out to assist in interpretation.

There are ALOT of great spread designers here - I am sure they have many more tips and ideas for you!

The most important thing you can do, though, is to just dive right in and experiment - you are already on the right track by developing your own way of looking at the cards :)

valeria