How Does your Garden Grow?

danieljuk

Loofas galore! LOOFAS! .... GALORE! So many ... I knew that would happen and they would take over but not much grows there in winter and I got extra space.

Started selling them.

Actually might be moving the garden ... take some essentials and move location .... someone is really going to benefit from all the soil conditioning and organic products and bio-char in that soil when I leave.

are they the one's they make sponges from? they used to be really popular in the UK! as a back cleaner mostly :)

Flaxen

I'm attempting to grow some runner beans in my garden this year. It's a very small space so I'm having to put them in containers and have chosen a dwarf variety which doesn't need supports.

My dwarf apple tree won't yield much this year at all thanks to a late spring and its blossoms coming out far too late. I'm hopeful that I will be able to eat a few home-grown beans though.

My garden generally looks really lush in May/June/July/Aug and then it starts to die back for Autumn. I need to be a bit more organised with planting for year round interest. :)

kalliope

We have roses blooming on our back deck. They're actually blooming more vigorously now (this picture was last week), but they've dropped lots of petals so this photo looks nicer.

I'm jealous of your strawberries, Chiska! The previous owners of our house planted blueberries and golden raspberries. The golden raspberries are a mess and aren't even that delicious, though. And the blueberries -- I've never even gotten to eat a ripe one once in the four years we've been here! The birds eat them all! (Yes, I know, I should use bird netting...) But we like the birds, too... :)

Attachments

• Deck Roses and Mums.jpg
    Deck Roses and Mums.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 90

Chiska

Kalliope, your deck looks peaceful and inviting.

PathWalker

Most of my roses are in flower now - I have maybe 8 in total, that's all, but all very scented. Nothing more disappointing to my than a rose with no scent.
If it would stay dry for long enough I wanted to make moist pot pourri, but there's too much rain and drizzle and I think I'd get mildew :(

We have Mock Orange out, with a lovely scent, the white Wisteria is just ending but there's Jasmine to come. The vetables aren't thriving (again) not enough actual sunny days.

Herbs are in pots out the front, south facing so they do well, There's some mints, rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, tarragon, caraway, 2 types of chives.
Lots of lavenders.

And today in a roadside verge I saw a plant I didn't recognise. Over 50 I am, with an interest in my native flora, but I hadn't seen it before. It was this

http://www.stewkley.org/wildlife/flowers/images/img_2596_4.jpg

Grass vetch, and I'm hoping to get it growing in my wild patch at the end of the garden. I have a circle of bricks (laid into a trench on an angle, so they make a "toothed edge" you know?) which create a ritual space about 8 foot across, it grows wild and I cut it once a year with a pair of shears, on my hands and knees LOL

Rhubarb doing well, not sure about the fruit trees, greengage, damson and quince.

I'm trying to grow more flowers, there's some delphiniums this year, and lupins, gardens are an ever-evolving thing aren't they?
No digital camera here I'm afraid, so no pictures right now.

celticnoodle

Strawberries. Something so easy to grow and prolific. These are descended from composted Costco strawberries.
Oh Chiska! your berries are beautiful!!! I'm not a fan of strawberries & hub could really care less about growing them, but these are so pretty! I could just love this on my deck edge. :)

Your gardens sound beautiful. I would live a Greenhouse someday.

I find great peace when I am puttering in my little garden.

The first picture was the garden in April. The second shows the sage in full bloom.
Your sage is much prettier then ours. :p I am not including a picture of mine. It took a real hit this winter. I should've planted a new one this year, but didn't and I'm afraid I won't have any fresh sage for my cooking now to last the year.

I don't have any good photos right now, but we are currently growing rosemary, Thai basil, sweet mint, spearmint, and peppermint.

We also have some sweet potatoes started (balanced in glasses of water on the window sill) and we are trying to decide whether to plant them directly in the ground, or build a raised box for them.
I LOVE rosemary and have some and spearmint and peppermint too--in pots on our deck. Also lavender, oregano, chamomile and lemon balm. This is my first year for lemon balm and OMG, the lemon balm tea is delicious--even without sugar! :)

Loofas galore! LOOFAS! .... GALORE! So many ... I knew that would happen and they would take over but not much grows there in winter and I got extra space.

Started selling them.

Actually might be moving the garden ... take some essentials and move location .... someone is really going to benefit from all the soil conditioning and organic products and bio-char in that soil when I leave.
I'd love to see a picture of this. can you provide one? Like Daniel, I also wondered is this the loofa you scrub your back with? I loved how Daniel worded it in his post. :laugh:

We have roses blooming on our back deck. They're actually blooming more vigorously now (this picture was last week), but they've dropped lots of petals so this photo looks nicer.

I'm jealous of your strawberries, Chiska! The previous owners of our house planted blueberries and golden raspberries. The golden raspberries are a mess and aren't even that delicious, though. And the blueberries -- I've never even gotten to eat a ripe one once in the four years we've been here! The birds eat them all! (Yes, I know, I should use bird netting...) But we like the birds, too... :)
and again, OMG! such gorgeous roses! We have a few rose bushes/trees, but again, they do not look as good as yours, I really need to work on them. The one is actually more of a 'tree'. Just the roses never seem to look very pretty. :( What do you do to get yours so gorgeous? My mother tells me I need to put crushed eggshells and chopped banana peels around it and into the soil. Have you ever done this?

We love to garden and we add to it each year. We try to grow the majority of our vegetables and herbs. We have not really started with fruit yet, but we think of adding apple trees one day and also tapping our maple trees for syrup. I think that may have to wait till we are retired and not traveling quite as much though.

here are some pics of our gardens:
the lilac 'tree' as I call it is the one that gave me the hives. :laugh: but, I still love it anyway. It is a very small lilac flower, and is always the last lilac to bloom. It never blooms until the second week of June here, when the other lilacs we have are all done and over with. It is also the most potent lilac we have.

Attachments

• white poor mans roses.jpg
    white poor mans roses.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 83
  • poor mans roses.jpg
    poor mans roses.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 88
  • poor mans roses two.jpg
    poor mans roses two.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 84
  • lilac tree.jpg
    lilac tree.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 84
  • herb and black eyed susan garden.jpg
    herb and black eyed susan garden.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 88

celticnoodle

this is our vegetable garden. we also use the above ground gardening technique like someone else on here has. so much easier!

Attachments

• herbs and tomatoes.jpg
    herbs and tomatoes.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 86
  • beans, kale and spinach.jpg
    beans, kale and spinach.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 88
  • spring onions, chili and jalapeno peppers.jpg
    spring onions, chili and jalapeno peppers.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 89
  • potatoes, carrots and garlic.jpg
    potatoes, carrots and garlic.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 82

Chiska

Pathwalker - I look forward to pictures in the future! Vetch is so pretty - we have it growing here and it is so simple and elegant! My mum and I spent forever trying to identify a "weed" last week. Of course it is NOT a weed - it is a native plant and always welcome. We both get accused of having weeds in our gardens - but they are native plants, so I am not sure why anyone would classify them as weeds?

Noodle - your flowers are GORGEOUS! I am jealous. I have a peony (those are peonies, right?) in my garden (keeping my rosemary company). It is still very small and had only one puny flower this year.

I am not sure your climate, but we are in USDA 8B and it is quite mild here. I have sage whenever I can be bothered to walk out and get some. Not as nice in the winter, but still fresh. Same with rosemary and thyme. The oregano dies back.

I noticed your statuary. I haven't seen something like that in years - not since we lived on the thumb in Wisconsin where all our neighbors had similar in their gardens. I just have a little plaque that says, "No Boys Allowed." :D (naughty of me, I know!)

celticnoodle

Noodle - your flowers are GORGEOUS! I am jealous. I have a peony (those are peonies, right?) in my garden (keeping my rosemary company). It is still very small and had only one puny flower this year.

I am not sure your climate, but we are in USDA 8B and it is quite mild here. I have sage whenever I can be bothered to walk out and get some. Not as nice in the winter, but still fresh. Same with rosemary and thyme. The oregano dies back.

I noticed your statuary. I haven't seen something like that in years - not since we lived on the thumb in Wisconsin where all our neighbors had similar in their gardens. I just have a little plaque that says, "No Boys Allowed." :D (naughty of me, I know!)

:laugh: yes, they are peonies. And, thank you. We call them "Poor Mans Roses", thus I labeled them as such. :D We are in zone 5b. Oh, how lucky you are! I LOVE the smell of sage. Well, really all my herbs really. We also have thyme which smells divine too--I have quite a few of them. I love their flowers. One is still flowering, because it is in a more shadier area-so it was the last to flower. And, we have sweet woodruff that unfortunately took a real beating from the contractors when they were working on our home. I hope that comes back.

the statuary in the garden with the red peonies has a sun dial on top of it. In our herb garden and black eyed susan garden is a statue of the Blessed Mother. I have two garden Blessed Mothers. This one was gifted to me by my Church. Its in sad shape though, but still pretty.

ravenest

are they the one's they make sponges from? they used to be really popular in the UK! as a back cleaner mostly :)

Yes; skin defoliator, dish washing sponge/scourer , dud ones make great fire starters for the fireplace, worse or worn out ones go in the compost and make a light spongy soil. Plus you can eat the fruit and flowers when young (like a zucchini, and batter the flowers and fry). When it finally all dies and dries out I am going to test the vines for basket weaving.