How has Tarot really benefited you?

Annabelle

Yes, tarot has benefited me.

I have found many of my personal readings to be extremely accurate. I use tarot as a means of seeking and receiving advice, as well as for fortune telling. The cards very rarely steer me wrong. I trust them; I trust the messages I receive through them.

Tarot is one of many ways that I communicate with the Goddess.

Friture

It has opened my mind and heart.

This. My intuition is stronger as I practice reading tarot, and that has led me to read people (motives, deep feelings, real thought etc) better.

Asbestos Mango

I'm a terrible journaller- I journal sporadically, going months without writing. I've found that doing a daily Tarot reading encourages me to journal, since I write down all my readings, and in the process, write about my day, my feelings and emotions, my insights, all of which would go unrecorded if I didn't have the habit of reading my cards to prompt me.

Journalling is supposed to have great mental health benefits, especially with regards to depression, which I suffer off and on and have for years.

So that's one benefit I get from Tarot.

Rhinemaiden

After a hiatus, I came back to divination (it's been part of my life since I was a child with a magic 8 ball and a ouija board) because I wanted to put magic back into my life. I found this forum, began (re)collecting tarot cards, doing daily readings, and feel my life has been immeasurably enriched. :)

coeur

Patience. When the tarot says he'll call in 5 weeks, then you should just wait the 5 weeks and not bug yourself out about it.

firefrost

It shows me things that otherwise could have (And have!) been overlooked.

Chiriku

I agree with the others that Tarot has so many benefits simply from a learning perspective. My doubts were really on the usefulness of readings rather than of Tarot as a whole.

I will address this addendum rather than the title of the post, which speaks to tarot more broadly and has elicited the several useful answers you've already received on the point.

The question of how beneficial I find tarot self-readings is a salient one for me, and one I've asked myself many times over the years when wondering why I do them so rarely. As Asbestos Mango said above, increasing the frequency of my readings has forced me to write down (or type up as it were) the details of my life, and that is something of value to me, as I've confirmed every time I come across an old journal or hand-written log of tarot readings from years past and read it with great interest.

But that is still a general way that self-readings have improved my life, and you want to get down to brass tacks.

However I wanted to have more tangible advice. The constructive advice given just seems too vague to act on. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from it?

My answer is two-fold:

1. The onus is on the individual reader to glean whatever more concrete and "tangible" advice he or she wants. If you are reading about what you can do to improve your outlook in X or Y situation and you come up with several Wands from the RWS, you could interpret that in generalities ("be more proactive;" "show leadership;" "don't back down"), or you could choose to get more specific and mundane, interpreting the images on a more literal level (3 of Wands--wait three week/months, etc; it will benefit you to travel to the coast or sea, etc).

2. I don't expect what you do from the tarot, so I'm not disappointed in that regard. I have never seen it as something that, in my hands as a reader, offers more than broad advice. I knew other readers, especially those reared in a more fortune-telling school of thought, might glean many specifics from the cards, but given where my interests lie in tarot, I did not hold any expectations of receiving highly detailed, "go down to the riverside on the third week of May" instructions.

The other thing is that my interest in self-readings themselves has never been great to begin with. This may be because I viewed tarot primarily as a tool for problem-solving and brainstorming and because I already have a cadre of sensible advisers in my life with whom I discuss problems from different perspectives; by the time we finished systematically analyzing a dilemma, there wasn't much organic want or need for me to read the cards about it.

But I have recently increased my self-readings for a variety of reasons ranging from the "enforced journaling" effect to an increased desire to interact with all the decks in my collection, to seeking insight on topics I cannot broach with the esteemed cadre described above.

I just don't expect what you seem to, so I can't say I'm disappointed with the self-readings.

Just wish I had the discipline and time management skills to do them more consistently. The trouble is that for me, "doing" a reading entails writing up not only the cards drawn but what amounts to a journal entry about my thoughts, life, circumstances, etc.

SilverSquirrel

It's one more obsessive anchor-point to fixate on, and fill up the dreaded vacuum - fear of no-self - by running away from silence and stillness. That's the real spiritual truth right there.