How many ways will only answering questions limit a future in Tarot reading?

Stark Raven

I have taken to reading online, for free. My own life offers me no way to gain Tarot experience at all. I felt it simpler to answer specific questions whilst offering the free readings - I now have a fair amount of experience answering specific issues as a result; but have only the experience I had previously gained from reading for myself to apply to general Tarot readings.

So my question is this, how many of you have found yourself in this situation? I mean that you began by answering targeted questions and eliminated general readings altogether? I realize this limits one in the way that they can't do public readings spontaneously without further practice. I'm curious though, for those that had begun this way, did you stay with it, or did you move on from there. How did it go? Tell me more...

Grizabella

I started doing both kinds. It's all good for practice but if you're wanting to move on to getting paid for readings, I'd definitely get in some practice with general readings because that's what a lot of people are going to ask you for. My suggestion would be to continue with doing practice readings that will include general readings until you feel confident that, no matter what is asked, you can answer the questions.

Rev_Vesta

When doing readings, alot of times the querant has nothing specific to ask so general overview is really important, especially when doing Fairs, expos and in stores (impulse readings)....
Practice both types online and face to face..... if someone doesn't want to be specific, welcome it.......

Have fun.... took along time before I felt I was ready for paid readings......after much much practice....

nisaba

The cards in front of you, and the feelings and thoughts tehy evoke in you on that particular occasion will tell you what the reading is addressing.

The vast majority of my clients don't necessarily want to tell me what they want a reading on - they want me to be "good enough" to find out. I don't know about my being that good, but Tarot certainly is. And many come along because they've been given a gift voucher, or because it's been a while since their last reading (much like you'd go to a dentist before you have a toothache for a checkup).

If you are uneasy about reading without a subject, why not pull an extra card slightly apart from the rest of the spread, and read that first, and trust that card to tell you what the subject of the reading is?

VGimlet

I mean that you began by answering targeted questions and eliminated general readings altogether? I realize this limits one in the way that they can't do public readings spontaneously without further practice. I'm curious though, for those that had begun this way, did you stay with it, or did you move on from there. How did it go? Tell me more...

When I started out reading tarot I didn't know anything about general readings, and I only read about specific situations. This was the way I read for a long, long time.

It was totally freeing when I found out about the whole 'general reading' thing. I went from doing specific questions to general readings really easily. In some ways, I think it was good I started out with specific readings. I think it would be more difficult going from general readings to specific readings, in many ways.

Stark Raven

The cards in front of you, and the feelings and thoughts tehy evoke in you on that particular occasion will tell you what the reading is addressing.

The vast majority of my clients don't necessarily want to tell me what they want a reading on - they want me to be "good enough" to find out. I don't know about my being that good, but Tarot certainly is. And many come along because they've been given a gift voucher, or because it's been a while since their last reading (much like you'd go to a dentist before you have a toothache for a checkup).

If you are uneasy about reading without a subject, why not pull an extra card slightly apart from the rest of the spread, and read that first, and trust that card to tell you what the subject of the reading is?

Thank you Nisaba, I love this suggestion! Somehow it seems that it could make a general reading much the same as answering a specific question.

Stark Raven

When doing readings, alot of times the querant has nothing specific to ask so general overview is really important, especially when doing Fairs, expos and in stores (impulse readings)....
Practice both types online and face to face..... if someone doesn't want to be specific, welcome it.......

Have fun.... took along time before I felt I was ready for paid readings......after much much practice....

Thanks for this comment Rev_Vesta, appreciated.

When I started out reading tarot I didn't know anything about general readings, and I only read about specific situations. This was the way I read for a long, long time.

It was totally freeing when I found out about the whole 'general reading' thing. I went from doing specific questions to general readings really easily. In some ways, I think it was good I started out with specific readings. I think it would be more difficult going from general readings to specific readings, in many ways.

Thank you for sharing this VGimlet, it helps me to see that there is a great possibility to get through this with minimal difficulty!

I started doing both kinds. It's all good for practice but if you're wanting to move on to getting paid for readings, I'd definitely get in some practice with general readings because that's what a lot of people are going to ask you for. My suggestion would be to continue with doing practice readings that will include general readings until you feel confident that, no matter what is asked, you can answer the questions.

Thanks Grizabella, advice that I can use. From here it's hard to know what people will expect in live in-person readings, so this helps.

Zephyros

I was actually the other way. When I started to do readings, I was reluctant at first to do specific question readings since I was afraid I would be wrong, it was a question of faith in the validity of Tarot, I guess. Since then I've gotten used to both of them, and I prefer first time people to do a general spread, it helps both of us to know each other. But I guess I do specific readings all the time, even if it's one card I pull on random questions.

But general spreads are tiring sometimes, and they take so long...

annabel398

Having some good "general reading" spreads might help... Strong positional meanings could keep you from that what-the-heck-is-going-on-here feeling.

For a short one, I like the toast Salud, Amor, y Dinero (y Tiempo para Gustarlos)... That's health, love, and money, and time to enjoy them. Omit the last card if you like, or use it as a clarifier.

Another cool one comes from a coffeetable book on Tarot I bought a long time ago, because it had Rachel Pollack's name on it. This is from memory and I've modified it some...

Right hand - what you offer
Left hand - what you hold back
Left foot - where you're coming from
Right foot - where you're going

You can stop there or continue with...

Head - what you're thinking
Mouth - what you're saying
Heart - what you're feeling

And if you want, continue with

Stomach - Your gut feelings
Root - what you lust for

Stark Raven

I was actually the other way. When I started to do readings, I was reluctant at first to do specific question readings since I was afraid I would be wrong, it was a question of faith in the validity of Tarot, I guess. Since then I've gotten used to both of them, and I prefer first time people to do a general spread, it helps both of us to know each other. But I guess I do specific readings all the time, even if it's one card I pull on random questions.

But general spreads are tiring sometimes, and they take so long...

Yes, I was wondering how those with experience felt about the amount of time it takes to do a general reading... thanks.

Having some good "general reading" spreads might help... Strong positional meanings could keep you from that what-the-heck-is-going-on-here feeling.

My gut instinct is to say 'how right you are Kenny boy'! But I'm not too sure if anyone else watched that show to catch the humour in that comment. So instead I will say, yes, this is apparently a very astute observation, thank you!