How to pronounce...?

Hooked on TdM

Since Ross was so kind to explain how to pronounce Tarrochi (I probably just spelled that wrong! lol) I thought it would be a great idea to figure out how to pronounce many terms I struggle with.

So how do you pronounce:
Vieville? (I've been saying it as Vee-Vie)
Visconti Sforza? (Visconti as Vizz-con-tee and Sforza I have no clue)
Marseille? (I've been saying it as Mar-Say)
Minachite? (probably spelled that wrong.. LOL)

Hooked

franniee

I don't know about the Vieville but I thought it would be Vie Vil

Sv or za

Min a shet

the rest I think you got. :)

prudence

I am pretty sure that Vieville is pronounced "vee-ay-vee"

I think you got the Marseille pronunciation correct...

umm, as for Viscontic Sforza...I am at a loss and say it (in my head) as Vis-konti Sorza...

Minchiate...I just say "Min chee it" but am fully open to the fact that I may be incredibly wrong.

I am sure Firemaiden will pop in and give you some good information, she speaks a whole heckava lot of languages. :)

The crowned one

Marseille
In English we say : Mar-say
In French sort of like: Mar-say-yu ...fade on the "yu"

Sforza is sort of like "sforwt-ah" ...so (s as in (s)cience).. 4 .. "wt" from wart and "ah" on the end...did that make sense?

Visconti is more like "vees cont ee"

philebus

I was informed that minchiate was "min-kay-ar-tay"

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Hooked, all -

Hooked on TdM said:
Since Ross was so kind to explain how to pronounce Tarrochi (I probably just spelled that wrong! lol) I thought it would be a great idea to figure out how to pronounce many terms I struggle with.

So how do you pronounce:
Vieville? (I've been saying it as Vee-Vie)
Visconti Sforza? (Visconti as Vizz-con-tee and Sforza I have no clue)
Marseille? (I've been saying it as Mar-Say)
Minachite? (probably spelled that wrong.. LOL)

Hooked

Accent has a lot to do with pronouncing them "right", but you can avoid errors due to orthographic conventions alone (like the "-occhi" issue).

Viéville is "vee-yay-veel". The "veel" is kind of drawn out.

The Crowned One is right with the French pronunciation of Marseille - given the habits of English, we say "mar-say", but the "lle" is actually pronounced at the end - "mar-say-yuh". It's hard to put that last sound into some kind of casual transcription - it's not a full syllable, just the end of the second one.
The main problem for English speakers is the French "r" - it's actually more like "mahr-say-uh". You have to learn that r.

Visconti is "veess-CON-tee" (the s doesn't turn into a z - only before vowels).

Sforza - if you can say "sphere" you can say "sforza". Sforza is "SPHOR-tsa" (or "tsuh" - whatever makes sense to you -it's a short sound).

Minchiate is "meen-kyee-AH-teh". This is how I've heard it from Italians anyways. I haven't noticed an "ar" sound, but maybe there is one in some accents. I guess the open AH might begin to sound like an ahhr sometimes. (The faster you say it, the better it sounds. Try to put on an Italian accent ;)

Hope that helps.

Ross

Hooked on TdM

It helps a lot! Thanks everyone! I am practising saying these as close as possible till I don't have to think about it! :)

Hooked

Trump Lloyd

How's this for anglicized pronunciations?

Jacques Vieville: zhaak vee-ay'-vil
Visconti Sforza: vis-kon'-tee sfort'-za
Tarot de Marseille: ta'RO di maar-say'
Minchiate: min-kee-aa'-tay

Here's a cut-and-paste of the pronunciation table I used:

Consonants:
b bit
ch chin
d dog
f fat
g got
h hit
j jet
k kill
l lot
m mud
n not
ng song
nk lank
p pin
R rot
r fear, pure
s sit
sh she
t top
th thin
TH this
v vat
w wit
wh whet
y yet
z zeal
zh vision

Vowels:
a cat
a [unstressed] sofa
aa spa
ay day
aw law
e get
ee feet
ew few
i sit
I die
o got
O tone
oi oil
OO food
oo look
ow cow
u cup

Words with R:
aar hard
air pair
eer beer
er enter
ar artistic
IR fire
oor tour, poor
awr lord, lore
ewr pure
owr power
ur bird, urge

frelkins

the s in the sf is very light, almost more a quick outbreath than a big heavy hissing s.

for example, listen to the pronunciation of this common italian sf word meaning "chore" or "housework" by pressing the speaker icon:

http://it.thefreedictionary.com/sfacchinata

the f is definitely the heaviest part of that sound.