I&#39m so ticked . . .

Kiama

I have been to two of these Psychic show thing sin the past two years. One was with Keith Charles: He's a cop, and he's psychic, and he lives in Britain.

I went with my friend Luke, and we sat in the audience with my father, who was looking very sceptical.

Keith Charles walked on the stage, and the lights went up, and he started chatting. Then he went into it. He was very accurate, and I'd say about 80% of what he said hit the spot...

The most amazing one was where two ladies were sitting opposite to me and Luke in the row across: Keith asked if there was a Sarah in the audience. Five women put their hands up. He then asked if they had a dog called Samantha. One woman remained with her hand up. He looked at her, and went into something about she had distant relatives who were miners. She said she doesn't know, but that her family is Welsh, so it could be right: She didn't know much about her family's history. Then the man said, yeah, but I'm getting a relative's name as Lucy... Do you know a dead relative called Lucy? And this woman next to Sarah gasped and said, yep that's me, I'm Sarah's twin sister!

Just three names he picked out of billions. All were right. All shoes fit the foot....

This same man reduced one widow to tears by telling her that her 'Bertie', who she used to call 'Snuggle Bum' (BTW: If you have anything to hide, don't go see this man!) was telling her to take his old mucky hanky out of her handbag and wash it! She cried, and revealed that in her handbag was the hanky he had in his pocket when he died.. Kieth also used the dead man's mannerisms saying 'You silly bugger' to the woman. The audeince was shocked, but the woman said that that was her husbands' fave saying...

My father came away from that show feeling alot less scpetical, but he still reckons those people were set ups...

Personally, I'd like to believe they weren't set ups. I'm not sceptcial. and I don't see what people find so hard to believe about talking to people after they die. I mean, when we die it is only our bodies that decay... Science has proven that the energy remains th esame, because energy cannot be destroyed: It merely changes form. So why can't we still communicate with the dead guys!? Surely live transcends life and death....

Kiama

Yarnie

(bows graciously) Thank you...glad you enjoyed my little funsie!

I agree that its an interesting subject and I'm glad to see so many varying opinions come out regarding Ms. Cleo and John Edwards. (Not to mention that its nice to see that this discussion hasn't sunk into a flame war!) Personally, I think I come closer to believing John Edwards than Ms. Cleo (who, in my opinion, is WAY over the top!), who obviously is a fantastic business woman--I won't venture to guess her aptitude with tarot since I have no personal experience on which to base an opinion.

Actually, John Edwards' apparent talent is only a step or two away from the gift of psychic sensitivity that seems to run in my family. Contact with those on the other side is something that I'm more familiar with than tarot. (shrugs) Maybe that is why I'm a bit more skeptical of Ms. Cleo than John.

CAVEAT: Don't take this as an endorsement of one of these people over the other. This is just my opinion and, as far as I know, they could both be the biggest fakes or the most gifted that is out there. As stated in my "funsie" post, "Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see."

destinyawaitsme

I forgot who said something about therapy, but I guess this is a kind of reply to that. The reason psychics are so popular is because I thnk you can always blow it off and say, "well I was just curious...I wanted to see if it was real or not." BUt no one would spend an hour at a therapist and spend 120 bucks just to say, "um...i wanted to see what it was like." I wish there wasn't such a stigma attatched to mental health...my mom and brother are manic depressive...it doesn't mean your crazy...it's a disease. I think you should be considered crazy if you have real live problems and you soley stick to a tarot reader for all your advice. True, tarot is a great tool, but it you can't talk back to it. It should never replace therapy. I have read for people that seriously have problems (not that everybody doesn't...i'm talking about big ones that stress me out by just hearing about them.) that I could read for them for hours and still not get all the answers to their questions. So, sometimes I do reccomend counseling...because frankly everyone needs it! People go for all sorts of reasons, to learn how to raise a kid, or how to get along with other people. Saying you don't need counseling is saying that there's no reason for you to go to school because you know everything there is to know. Ok, after all that rambling I forgot what I started out to say but basically...um...yeah.

tarotbear

What was that movie a few years' back when Steve Martin played the phony evangelist who staff did the same thing- followed people around listening to then, recording when they said, then transmitting the info to Steve by headset ' The lady in the front row of section two, in the hat with the red cherries- her unwed daughter is pregnant'. He then came up with some BS line and led into the fact that her daughter had a big problem and had something important to tell her. The audience was always amazed at what he 'knew'. I think it was called 'Leap of Faith'.

Logiatrix

i'm with mojo, destiny, et al...
the aforementioned t.v. personalities have served as wonderful "spring-boards" for discussing tarot with people--eventual querents, whom i believe would have had no other reference for it other than the negative, but instead were allowed to be curious. like it or not, "pop" culture does that sometimes!
i enjoyed john edwards' biography, for what that's worth. my take on his work is this: whether his or miss cleo's or anybody else's gifts are as they profess them to be, and truly merit the commerce represented, i think that is between him/her and Spirit. hopefully, one who serves others with such gifts doesn't forget Who provided the gift!
;)

tarotbear

It's kind of interesting to note that this forum is filled with many of us who are in the field, yet we are skeptical of others in the same field.

truthsayer

Quote:destinyawaitsme (04 Sep, 2001 23:26):
I forgot who said something about therapy, but I guess this is a kind of reply to that. The reason psychics are so popular is because I thnk you can always blow it off and say, "well I was just curious...I wanted to see if it was real or not." BUt no one would spend an hour at a therapist and spend 120 bucks just to say, "um...i wanted to see what it was like." I wish there wasn't such a stigma attatched to mental health...my mom and brother are manic depressive...it doesn't mean your crazy...it's a disease. I think you should be considered crazy if you have real live problems and you soley stick to a tarot reader for all your advice. True, tarot is a great tool, but it you can't talk back to it. It should never replace therapy. I have read for people that seriously have problems (not that everybody doesn't...i'm talking about big ones that stress me out by just hearing about them.) that I could read for them for hours and still not get all the answers to their questions. So, sometimes I do reccomend counseling...because frankly everyone needs it!

exactly my point, destiny! i once worked for a crisis hotline and some of the ppl i hear on these shows w/ psychics are so much like the ppl i once counseled. you can consult a psychic for "fun" and blow off the $120+ you spent. but if you go for some real help that means you have to come out of denial and face the fact you have real probs that may be an illness that requires meds or something you need objective support w/. you can still kid yourself some things aren't as bad as you thought if a call to a psychic helps w/ the prob. i think the key to tarot or any intuitive ability is about the forgotten art of LISTENING. so much suffering in this world could be eased if we could slow down our busy lives and listen to each others pain. being busy only hides the real you that comes out after everyone else has gone to bed and the only place left to call is the psychic hotline. sad statement for our modern society.

tarotbear--i agree it is indeed interesting that as intuitives ourselves we are so suspicious of others who claim to have similar gifts. could it be some jealousy that we aren't making the big bucks like them? instead of doing what our hearts call us to do, we are all stuck in the same mundane jobs? i'm a nursing student. don't think for one minute i wouldn't rather be self supporting reading tarot cards. at least i can be honest w/ myself about this. the only thing holding me back is fear. fear of not making it financially, of being rejected, laughed at, of being doubted like tv psychics... ;D

Jimilyn

Or maybe we are correctly skeptical sometimes...our own intuition may be letting us in on the other person's true abilities.

Jimilyn

:)

Yarnie

To expand on Jimilyn's post: Perhaps we are skeptics because our subconscious sees just enough evidence to cause our intuition to timidly raise its hand and say, "Hoax?"

I've often heard intuition defined as the ability to take the tiniest bits of information, correctly discern the hidden parts, and come up with a meaningful part of the whole picture. Perhaps that is what we have done: we've seen things that don't fit with being genuine, we've seen how the "phone-a-psychic" industry works (remember that article someone posted the link for in the old fora?), and our intuition is saying "hey, something's not quite right here!"

(shrugs) Oh, well, just my rambling away in the pre-dawn hour with some thoughts on this.