I succumbed...just shoot me now

HudsonGray

I need to do this like I need a hole in my head, but they look so darn cute.............

My friend backed out of doing a cat version of the Marseilles deck. Her loss. I had a few images from online of the Conver Marseilles, and started sketching. One card. Then a second. Then tried to see if I could locate all the majors of the Conver online somewhere (took a while, but I located all of them, though I suspect some that were CALLED Conver actually weren't). I don't have a card back image though.

Long story short, I've got all 22 Majors and a cover card image sketched inside of 3 days & half of them are already inked in with rapidograph pen.

They're so darn CUTE!!!!! Geez!

I didn't trace anything, they're all copied freehand, and I substituted cat heads, paws & tails onto the people figures. Got all the details in as much as possible, though the Death card ran out of room for all the body parts & grass on the bottom. I didn't intend to go beyond the majors because the pips are unillustrated, and it wouldn't make sense to do majors & courts & not the rest. Also printing in color is expensive. This is a 'fun' project, not a serious art one--after all, I just did the cats, I didn't have to design each entire card.

If they're positioned 6 to a page, that's only 4 pages per set to get printed in color--a cost of $3 if I can get the printing on sale, or $4 at full price for color laser copies on card stock at the printers. Hmm. Inexpensive. They yell for color, which is the problem in a way. I don't have any experience at all with watercolor but was thinking of doing the colors in color pencil instead. I think that would work.

Now the problem, or rather problems--

1. Do I stick with the French names on the title and for each card? Do I stick to English. Would cat lovers who love their Marseilles decks object to English wording on the bottom vs would cat lovers who don't know a damn thing about Marseilles or even tarot rather not be confused with French & want English, period?

2. Do I rename some of the cards--the Fool as the Kitten. The Emperor as the Tomcat, The Hermit as the Aged One. The Wheel of Fortune as just the Wheel. The Emperess and Temperance as Empurress & Tempurrance. Do I call the Pope a Pope, and the Papess (god I find that name weird!) as that or as the High Priestess...and is the Bateleur better off as the Magician? How many people would be alienated by taking liberties like this? (There's a very bad joke about what the "Magician" is holding in his paw, by the way).

3. Is a 'short' deck a problem, being only 22 cards.

4. I found two versions online of which way the 'yods' fall, do they go up or down on the Moon & Sun cards--both were supposedly accurate *sigh* (I'm tempted to turn them into catnip leaves & just let them fall as they will).

5. Is anyone interested in such bastardization of their beloved Marseilles? Or do I need to be dragged through the litterbox (a used one) by serious tarot lovers? It's not my fault! The project screamed to be done, and she backed out of the idea after looking at the art online. It fell to me to mess with History.

Major Tom

I love the concept. :)

I think you should use English - you'll reach a wider audience with English. ;)

I've found Conjuror a better translation of Bateleur. Please don't use cute names! :eek:

Read the appropriate threads on the History and Iconography board for references to the yods on Sun and Moon.

Perhaps you should consider doing the courts and pips? The pips could be decorated as you wished. :laugh:

Diana

HudsonGray said:
(There's a very bad joke about what the "Magician" is holding in his paw, by the way).

If you are speaking of the Conver deck, it's not a joke at all.

It has symbolic meanings.

If anyone is interested, they can ask and I will speak of what I know. Hint: what would happen to the Bateleur if he used onanistically the life-force and energy which has been given to him?

firemaiden

ooo ooo, can I see it, where, where?

I think you should use French. :) French looks prettier, and historical-er. And use the original names... that will make it even more fun.

I agree with Tom, I'd love to see pips and courts. (you could use coins with cats on them for the coin cards)

Astra

Bang! (will that do?)

Do the cards. Put whatever names on them they seem to call for. Have fun, dammit, and when you're through and there isn't just one more card calling out to you that you really need to do it, too, then stop. I suspect you'll have another full deck, but let the whims of time play as they want to.

As for the names, have fun there, too. If you're going to rename a few cards, though, try to rename them all. You can always put the original names in parentheses, you know.

Wait on color - you might want to think about doing up a couple and putting them out and seeing what you can get in the way of pre-orders for a colored deck - knowing you're going to make enough to make it at least pay for itself eases the strain on the bank account a lot. Given the way the Ferret Tarot looks, you might not need to even think about color for a first printing - I suspect they'll sell just fine in black and white.

Lady Eclipse

Hi HudsonGray,

Shoot you????????????? Never!!!!!!!!! Hug you, YES!!!!!!!! This idea is great and I can't wait to see the cards. :)

1. Do I stick with the French names on the title and for each card? Do I stick to English.

I think using both French & English would satisfy most.

2. Do I rename some of the cards?

I think you should keep the names more traditional. Some probably would be put off if you used cute names.

3. Is a 'short' deck a problem, being only 22 cards.

I'd prefer to see this have pips too.

4. I found two versions online of which way the 'yods' fall, do they go up or down on the Moon & Sun cards--both were supposedly accurate *sigh* (I'm tempted to turn them into catnip leaves & just let them fall as they will).

Personally, I like the catnip leaves idea. It's different and shows imagination but that's how I like my tarot.

5. Is anyone interested in such bastardization of their beloved Marseilles?

I am. I think it's a great idea and that it will be well received. :)

Joy to you,
Maralee

skytwig

I agree with Astra.....HAVE FUN!!!!!

I like the cat names you suggested.... I think cat lovers will like that.... and English (maybe with the french tucked in somewhere..... ?)

HP = High Cattress?

High Priest = Top Tom?

:laugh:

baba-prague

looking forward to seeing the cards

I would just go with what you feel is right for the deck. It's hard to know without seeing the cards whether "cuter" names would work. I kind of agree that maybe both French and English names could be nice.

As for it being only 22 cards? I'm not sure on this one. I think 78 card decks are much more popular for reading nowadays, but maybe there is a place for a 22 card deck for collectors? (Tarot for Cats is Majors only after all).

Good luck with it - much looking forward to seeing some images
:)

skytwig

Maybe the minors could have kitties playing in the flowers or balancing on the wands or scratching them, for that matter..... napping in a corner of the card or yawning....... that could be appropriate in some cases...... :laugh:

Maybe kittens for the minors!! :)

Chronata

Oh I love this idea!

I can't wait to see them!

I, for one, would be VERY interested in this deck.

But then I like my fluffy and cute mixed with my historical and occult!

I think keeping the traditional names is a cool idea. In English or French. I personally would like to see them in French, because I like the juxtaposition of the traditional with the very non-traditional!

But it's your deck...do what feels right to you...and you will know what feels right...it will come to you!