If you could design any tarot deck, what would it be like?

evangelion

Just for fun I would create a deck revolving around the story and characters of my favorite anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion". I just love the beautiful art and the captivating storyline and I think anyone who's seen the anime or read the manga would agree! ;)

sapienza

I am a HUGE travel bug and so I'd love to design some kind of tarot deck to reflect that. Now I've never actually considered this before reading this post so what I type now is coming right off the top of my head.

But perhaps for the minors, suits could be say AsiaPacific, Europe, Americas and Middle East? Each suit could follow a journey through the different countries in the region but looking at historical events.

The majors could be either natural or man made wonders from around the world? Not sure if it would work or not, might have to do some more thinking. Perhaps linking it to historical events might work better?

I think travelling is a great way of learning about both the world and about yourself. Travelling for me has been a great method of self-discovery, as has the tarot, and therefore I'm sure they could link together well.

Some great ideas in this thread guys!

angela

blue_fusion

i actually have a lot of decks i plan to make. currently there are my 2 works in progrees: the masque tarot (where all human characters save one wears a mask for different symbolic purposes0, and my anime deck. by the way, they can be viewed
at: http://necromance.topcities.com

and although there is an already existing majors only necromantic tarot (lovely!), it's OOP and hard to find, i'd like to make a Tarot of the Necromancer. a Tarot of the Fates (featuring a three-suit minor arcana) is still being conceptualized. also, a Filipino Mythic Tarot, a Filipino Cultural Tarot, Aswang Tarot, Four Seasons tarot, Rayearth Tarot (Pollux, you mught be interested in collaborating with me on thsi one :) ), Bt'x tarot, Tarot of the Armageddon, Tarot of the Four Horsemen, perhaps a Byzantine Tarot, and a lot more!!! :)

sparrowspirit

yoga tarot

I have been thinking that I am surprised that I haven't come across a Yoga tarot deck. Is there one?

I haven't thought much about the possible attributions - maybe -

Majors -
The Fool - lotus pose
The Magician - breath of fire (pranayama)
The High Priestess - seated forward bend
The Hierophant - yoga mudra
The Wheel of Fortune - karma, (or maybe wheel pose) too obvious?
Hanged man - headstand or possibly breath retention(pranayama)
Death - shavasana(corpse pose) too obvious?
The Moon - downward dog pose
The Sun - tall mountain pose
The World - OM

Maybe the court cards could be yoga masters, like Patanjali. I am not sure about the pips or suit attributions. Maybe I could use the doshas for the suit attributions and spices or food combos for the pips. I'm still learning about Yoga, so there could be other possibilites.

What do you guys think?

Ravenswing

lady frieda coleman??

laural--

i've been studying tarot and (c)(k)qabala for about the last twenty years. i've made several starts at decks, but have never been satisfied with them.

your visions sound like what i've been attempting to do. i see a web-work of inter-relations that i have just not quite pinned down.

i've attached a pencil rendering of the fool. i'd love to attempt manifestation of your visions.

let me know
raven

Attachments

• fool2.jpg
    fool2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 105

pixienyc

Hi,

I've been thinking about "Tarot of the Trees" (ok, I'd have to come up with a title that wasn't quite so lame.)

Each major would be a specific tree species, for example, Strength would be Tree of Heaven (alianthus altissima), because this tree can grow from anywhere, even the sides of buildings (!) but it is also very graceful and beautiful.

Minor suits would be a tree part, like seeds, leaves, flowers, fruit? Well, I haven't thought that through too much...

My other idea was a tarot deck based on "The Mysts of Avalon" but there seems to be an overkill of Arthurian-based decks. I did have a fun afternoon once trying to figure out which characters would fit each of the Majors.

Great question, thanks for asking it!

pixie

Kirali

pixienyc said:
I've been thinking about "Tarot of the Trees" (ok, I'd have to come up with a title that wasn't quite so lame.)

Each major would be a specific tree species, for example, Strength would be Tree of Heaven (alianthus altissima), because this tree can grow from anywhere, even the sides of buildings (!) but it is also very graceful and beautiful.

Minor suits would be a tree part, like seeds, leaves, flowers, fruit? Well, I haven't thought that through too much...

What a great idea Pixie! I would love a "tree" deck! Or a mushroom one! I know there is a mushroom one on the Tarot Garden website, but it's majors only. Anyway! I hope your idea materializes itself oneday! :)

~Kira

sparrowspirit

Great ideas

Raven: That sketch is so amazing! I really like the action in it. What color scheme would you be using? Would you be interested in working on a yoga deck with me?

Pixienyc: I also really like the tree idea. I just traded a book about Qaballah, I can't recall the entire name of it but the author is Will Parfitt. He has an index in the back that correlates the sephira with different species of trees.

rota

Here's a deck idea I was thinking about...

Here's a couple of images from a set of majors I worked on last year. I called it 'The International Icon Tarot'. It's a hybridization of the standard Waite/Smith symbology with the bowling-ball-headed figures found on international signage in airports and on restroom doors. Sounds pretty stupid, I know, but it actually made for a fairly elegant deck.

(c&p the following huge address, and you should find 'The Fool' and 'The Magician'.)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/isisish/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.dnm=the+fool.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/isisish/lst%3f%26.dir=/Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.src=bc%26.view=l