If you were designing your own deck....

Moonbow

As I see it there are 3 types of Tarot deck and their so called 'clones'. RW,Thoth,Marseilles.... Tell me if there are any others... I know someone mentioned the Wirth the other day but I know nothing about this deck. Well, if you were designing your own deck which of the 3 would you use as your 'theme'. Or maybe you would combine them. And why............

Moonbow*

WolfyJames

Next week, when I'll get my new computer, I'm going to start on designing my deck, a projet of mine I've been thinking for a while.

I'm going to base myself on my tarot The Enchanted Tarot (Zerner-Farber), because I love this deck and I think the meanings are rather clear with it and I'm used to it. The Enchanted Tarot is mostly based on Rider-Waite, but there are cards based on Le Marseilles and Thoth in it as well. Best exemple in this deck is The Lovers, where a man is torned between two women, one virtuous and one perverted. I like this card very much, better than the Rider-Waite one. And in my deck, the scene is going to be similar to this.

So, I'm guessing that my deck is going to be a combination of all these tarot traditions, whatever pleases me most.

Le_Corsair

Everyone would like their own dream deck, wouldn't they? :)

Mine would measure 3" wide by 4.25" long (76mm x 108mm), which is the exact size of Rota's Ator Tarot; the deck would be RWS in style, the people in the cards would be dressed in early 18th century fashions. Each suit would have either a thematic device or color to differentiate it from the others. The suits would be titled coins, swords, staves and cups. The Hierophant would be retitled The Pope, the High Priestess would be retitled The Witch. Key 13 would be based on Marseilles or the 1JJ Swiss instead of RWS. The card backs would be a field of navy blue, with a silver Eye of Horus in the center. The people featured in the card to be normal looking, not artistically beautiful. No fluffy bunny elements of any kind. Card titles in English with Arabic numerals, not Roman.

The deck would come with a custom-made wooden box for storage at home, preferably a tropical hardwood: Kingwood would be my choice. There would also be a Cordura Nylon pouch for the deck to carried in when travelling.

Bob :THERM

Moonbow

WolfyJames said:
Next week, when I'll get my new computer, I'm going to start on designing my deck, a projet of mine I've been thinking for a while.

Go for it WolfyJames! I'll be looking out for it, I admire people who can do this, it must be very satisfying puting your own ideas (and the best of other peoples) into your own deck. Keep us all informed of the progress wont you?

Moonbow* :)

Moonbow

Le_Corsair said:
Mine would measure 3" wide by 4.25" long (76mm x 108mm), which is the exact size of Rota's Ator Tarot; the deck would be RWS in style, the people in the cards would be dressed in early 18th century fashions. Each suit would have either a thematic device or color to differentiate it from the others. The suits would be titled coins, swords, staves and cups. The Hierophant would be retitled The Pope, the High Priestess would be retitled The Witch. Key 13 would be based on Marseilles or the 1JJ Swiss instead of RWS. The card backs would be a field of navy blue, with a silver Eye of Horus in the center. The people featured in the card to be normal looking, not artistically beautiful. No fluffy bunny elements of any kind. Card titles in English with Arabic numerals, not Roman.

The deck would come with a custom-made wooden box for storage at home, preferably a tropical hardwood: Kingwood would be my choice. There would also be a Cordura Nylon pouch for the deck to carried in when travelling. :THERM

Come on Bob, dont be shy about it..... :rolleyes: sounds like you've put (just a little) time and thought into this.... when will we see your deck then?

Moonbow* :)

Chronata

I am working on my very themey, mostly RWS deck at the moment.
But I can't help but be inspired to make a Marseilles type Majors only deck too.
(it would certainly take less time, I think!)

Mystic Zyl

Well, for one thing I would have the same theme all the way through in figures and art work. The minors would be illustrated.
I have gold foil and colorful pictures like New Palladini. The cards would measure 3.5 by 5.5 and the backs of the cards would have a giant red rose with a golden lion jumping out of the center of the rose.

SherryZoned

i made a small majors only cat deck..I guess it would be more of a rider waite style..But i did not use any numbers.so I dont really knwo if that fits or not lol

Moonbow

Hi Redwood

Do you have a link to your deck?

M*

SherryZoned

Not yet...Currently I am trying to get it online..I used colored pencils..and I dont have very much artistic ability.. I have debated about making a full deck..but have not decided to or not..

I dont study tarot, I dont technically know what type to do..or even much difference between them all..
I would say my deck is more Rider waite but not based on anything but whatever the heck i feel like drawing for the moment.

(now that i thought about your question more)