Im New At This Can Anyone Help??

audrea

Can anyone help me figure out how to read a normal deck of "playing cards"? How do i deal them and how do i read them once i have them dealt out? Whats the best layout to use? I am looking to buy a regular set of tarot cards in the near future, Can anyone recommend a good deck for beginners such as myself??? Thanks.

Stregaverde

For reading with playing cards, down further in these forums is the Non-Tarot area. Look in the Oracle Decks forum, it covers all kinds of non-tarot cartomancy, and there are some folks who are very active in there whom I'm sure can help you. :)

As far as a beginner deck, use the search engine and you'll find several extensive threads on the subject, with loads of great information. Off the cuff, though, I'd recommend the Hanson-Roberts, if you like the illustrations. Follows the Rider-Waite-Smith imagery closely (which is what most 'learning tarot' books use as a basis) but is a lot prettier.

Welcome to Aeclectic!

crystal cove

Welcome to Aeclectic!

Try:

www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing_card_meanings.html
or
www.talisman.net/tarot/regcard.html

As far as spreads and beginning tarot decks are concerned, that is largely a personal choice. Tastes in decks change, so just choose one that appeals to you now.

Silaria

When I'm talking to people interested in starting to learn the Tarot, I usually recommend the Hanson-Roberts or Robin Wood tarot.

The Hanson-Roberts deck is very similar to the Rider-Waite(-Smith) deck, but with, IMO, much nicer artwork. (The artwork is one of my favorate things about this deck.)

The Robin Wood deck is also similar to the Rider-Waite(-Smith) deck but the artwork has a more Pagan twist due to Ms. Wood's beliefs. As with the Hanson-Roberts deck, the artwork and coloring on this deck is OUTSTANDING.

Some other decks you may want to look are the Rider-Waite(-Smith) deck, Connolly Tarot (Universal Tarot), and the Radiant Rider-Waite (this is the Rider-Waite-Smith deck with more brillian colors which some people prefer).

There are links to all of these decks in the "Sites that Show the Whole Deck" thread (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=17948) so you can at least get a look at some of them before you buy one.

Keep in mind though, that there are HUNDREDS of different decks out there of various themes and styles. A deck who's theme appeals to you may be more beneficial than a "starter deck" because you will be able to relate to the imagry.

Little Baron

Hi there.

At the moment, I have shelved a lot of my tarot decks and am working with Playing Cards also.

I have wanted to read with playing cards for some time. I know that some read with tarot meanings but I wanted to try and keep those meanings with the tarot. I looked around but never found anything that felt right, until ....

I found a site which Kara linked a thread to recently and it is so good ... it completely clicked. The webmistresses friend has written two 'how to' essays about how to read with playing cards and is in the process of completing the third and final. They really are very good. By the end of the afternoon, I was practically reading the cards as they came out of the pack. The writer teaches you how to read firstly be colour combinations, then using suit and number combinations. It really is interesting and using the combinations of three makes the readings really alive. Take a look. I doubt that you will be disappointed.

Also, Pheonix Rising has started a group here focusing around reading the playing cards. We are refering to the above mentioned site as a resourse. If you like what you see, send her a pm - I am sure she will be thrilled to have another cartomancer in the threads. We pair up and do readings there.

In terms of a tarot deck, I would say go with what grabs you. A lot of people suggest an illustrated minor aracana for the beginner but if you get the hang of the playing cards, I cannot see why a pip deck would not be an option.

Hope that this helps

LB

audrea

Thanks

Thank you very much. Thats very nice of you to help me like that. I am really looking forward to checking out that site and learning this all. :)