Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

thorhammer

I personally love Llynn's idea of interviewing the Majors - although I'd be more inclined to apply it to the Court cards. I am actually quite excited about this, and in my head this morning at work I've been mulling over some questions I could "ask" the various cards.

Would it be best to come up with a list of questions that I ask each character, the better to compare and contrast? Or perhaps come up with questions for each one, to fill in the gaps in my understanding of that particular character? It bears thinking about . . .

Thankyou, Llynn, I really like this idea, and I hope to try it out soon!

\m/ Kat

Faolainn Storm

Myrrha said:
Alamaris, how does this work? Do you do find a fictional character who is in a predicament in the story and do a reading for about the predicament or just general readings for the character? Or do you make up the character and then do the reading for them? Any chance you could post an example?

James Ricklef wrote an entire book on this way of reading called "Tarot Tells the Tale" (review here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/tarot-tells-the-tale/ ). He takes characters from stories or from history and does a three card reading for them, as if they had approached him and asked him a question.
So Cinderella asks him how she can meet Mr Right, and Dorothy (from Wizard of Oz) asks if she will ever have som fun in her life. He then draws three cards and reads them to answer the question - pretending he doesn't know the future of the character. Finally he analyses the reading with the knowledge of how the story develops.

FS

Scion

Indeed! Ricklef's book is a delight, and the exercise is well worth trying with fictional and historical characters.

thorhammer

Hmm . . . I have it, and since I got it about six months ago, I've flipped through it once . . . I must say it struck me as being trite in the extreme. But then, as I say, I did nothing more than flip through it. I will have to sit down and read it properly.

Just as soon as I'm done with Forest of Souls and Ticket, Passport and Tarot Cards!!!! The latter has a great spread in it, upon which each small section of the book is based. It's a great spread, and I tried it the other day. It made me think that I've passed a watershed in my relationship with my deck, and that in turn made me more confident about my reading abilities. So when one of my work colleagues asked me to read for him I said, "Sure!" and I did, last night. Great reading. Well, it felt great, anyway . . . it remains to be seen whether or not it makes any sense to him at all.

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Scion said:
I did something right when the IDS started that's proved surprisingly powerful. Windows XP & Vista have an animated screensaver that uses images from a folder to create a three dimensional animated slideshow... forming cubes and carousels out of images. Well, I set it to use only the Liber T deck. And the funny thing is, I've gotten in the habit of using it for "readings on the fly" even when I'm on the phone or mulling a problem. My computer just fans through these images in 3D layouts. The amazing thing is, it's come to be a kind of Tarot "subtitle" to my day. I catch myself flicking my eyes to it during conference calls or when I'm outlining. Not because I'm reading for myself at every moment, but because it has made me aware of how patterns and resonance plays out between the Liber T and what I'm doing. My virtual animated Liber T maps Time constantly fo rme, and it's started to spill iover into the way I read situations. Readings extend beyond the cards. My intuition is more penetrative and specific. Little bits of research connect in startling ways at strange moments. Time.

Thanks so much for sharing that Scion, what a wonderful way to immerse yourself even further in the world of the Liber T :) I'd like to try this myself. I find myself viewing life through the lens of the Alchemical deck right now. I've done a lot of work with my natal chart lately and have even matched up cards to the different archetypes at work in my chart. It's been amazing. At the end of each day I feel so grateful to Robert Place for creating this deck - what an amazing man :D

Scion said:
An entirely rewarding experience, this IDS. The writing is racing along. The deck is more specific and direct than ever. Stars Eternal, baby!

So pleased to hear the book is coming along well. I can feel how committed you are to this deck and I have no doubt that your future readers will enjoy the benefits of that when the book is published :)

sapienza

thorhammer said:
Just as soon as I'm done with Forest of Souls

I found that book impossible to get through. I just got lost in what felt like going around in circles. It wasn't that I didn't understand what I was reading, I just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I did get some great insights in the early chapters but in the end I gave up. Do you have her deck Kat? I wondered if it might be easier to follow if you actually had the deck? I wasn't about to get it though as it doesn't really appeal to me.

Alamaris

Myrrha said:
Alamaris, how does this work? Do you do find a fictional character who is in a predicament in the story and do a reading for about the predicament or just general readings for the character? Or do you make up the character and then do the reading for them? Any chance you could post an example?

This sounds like a good way to do some readings but I'm not sure how to get started.

--Myrrha
I make up a character from scratch and then do the reading. I can't find my notebook at the moment, but I was planning to post the upcoming results anyways... probably on Saturday. Keep an eye out. :D

Its a great way to do practice readings, although it does feel kind of awkward at first. I use it primarily because I'm too much of a wuss to read for real people.

thorhammer

sapienza said:
I found that book impossible to get through. I just got lost in what felt like going around in circles. It wasn't that I didn't understand what I was reading, I just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I did get some great insights in the early chapters but in the end I gave up. Do you have her deck Kat? I wondered if it might be easier to follow if you actually had the deck? I wasn't about to get it though as it doesn't really appeal to me.
I feel exactly the same way! As you say, it's not like it's above my head (I'M NOT DUMB!!!), it's more that there's no point, no direction, it's rambling and lost in its own inner spiral!

Her deck was the first one I ever owned - I loved it and miss it horribly :( - but I honestly don't think that you'd get all that much more out of the book with the deck. She uses lots of images from other decks, including my IDS deck, and it's not helping me at all. I think I might give it away entirely. Shame. But it's just frustrating me and after battling my way through to the end of 78 Degrees which also took on the same rambling tone, I just wonder if it's worth it! Maybe I'd be getting more out of Ricklef at this point, especially considering my struggles with finding questions to read for with my WoC.

Who knows, though, after the reading I did for the guy at work, I might have clients bashing down my door! :D My best mate works with me, and she was talking me up today, as I pull a few cards for her every now and then. She's a sweetie.

\m/ Kat

Myrrha

Alamaris said:
I make up a character from scratch and then do the reading. I can't find my notebook at the moment, but I was planning to post the upcoming results anyways... probably on Saturday. Keep an eye out. :D

Its a great way to do practice readings, although it does feel kind of awkward at first. I use it primarily because I'm too much of a wuss to read for real people.

Thank you, that is a great idea! I've done practice readings where I just lay out the cards with no querant and see what they would say "if it were a reading" but this sounds like more fun.

--Myrrha

Llynn

Thank you thorhammer for the idea of interviewing the Court cards.

thorhammer said:
Would it be best to come up with a list of questions that I ask each character, the better to compare and contrast? Or perhaps come up with questions for each one, to fill in the gaps in my understanding of that particular character? It bears thinking about . . .
You're right about the questions but thankfully I've still got some Majors to finish first :)