Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Emily

Hi sapienza,

I feel much the same way as you do. I started using my Liber T in September last year and since then I've bought two other decks, the Mini-Universal Waite and the Bohemian Gothic. I've never read with the BG and the Mini-Universal once. I haven't wanted to look at other decks or read with them.

I think I realised that the Liber T was the one I'd been looking for almost as soon as I started to read with it. Usually when I think I've found the 'one', I fall pretty hard and there have been quite a few that have been the 'one'. But with the Liber T it was different, I didn't fall head over heels for it, I didn't gush about how pretty it was or how colourful.

Instead I realised that I could read it which being fully immersed in RWS symbolism was a miracle it its self. I can't read other Thoth clones like the Haindl or the Via tarot, I can't even read the Thoth but the Liber T was different, it comes across much gentler than other Thoth clones. I still think its the smaller images on the Minors that help.

It was Scion and a few other members that made me look up this deck again after trading it when the deck was first published, and I really disliked it then. I only bought it the second time because after looking at the online scans I couldn't 'see' what I saw last time to dislike it so much.

I needed a way out of the RWS rut I'd got myself into, something that was going to give me a challenge but without making it an uphill struggle and the Liber T has been perfect for that, I use this deck daily and still I'm not tempted by other decks - infact, I too have been thinking of trading on some of my other decks because I've already had them in storage for the last 8 months.

I'm pleased I gave the Liber T a second chance because it has changed the way I read and I'm finding it perfect for any kind of reading and spread. :)
 

Alamaris

Well, today my cards got a little ocean breeze between them. I had to take two hour and a half long ferry boat trips today, and brought the deck along. The friend who originally said she wanted to help me do fictional tarot readings decided that she didn't want to read after all, which was pretty disappointing -- I didn't get those readings done after all. And after being fully awake all last night, taking two ferries and two long bus rides today, and eating soggy chicken for dinner, I'm no match for a tarot deck at the moment. On the weekend I'd like to do some of those readings I'd planned, as well as some readings for dead people. Hitler and Princess Di, anyone?

On an IDS sort of note, I have this weird feeling that I'm going to buy a new deck on Sunday. Its bizzare because I know what the local shops stock, what they definitely won't bring in, and so forth... and I'm not interested in any of the stock. I can certainly say I'm not tempted to play with any of my other decks, though. One seems quite complicated enough for the moment -- I very nearly gave myself a migraine when I tried a reading with the Circle of Life last week.

And now, some sleep.
 

afrosaxon

Major interest...LOL

Well, I'm working with the majors now, and starting from Carnival [The World] and going backwards (for some reason, this approach works well for me).

Some cards I get right off (like XIX -- Gros Bon Ange [The Sun]); others, because of the obscure symbolism used in the NOVT, I can only write a few lines on (like XXI -- Carnival [The World] and especially XX -- Ancestors [Judgment]).

I'm still typing up my notes on the Rada and Congo suits in between errands and naps (catching up on sleep deprivation). Hopefully I can get them posted within the next few days.

Hope everyone's IDS-esque studies are going well.

Any more news on Rodney, his partner, or Gazel and baby Tristan?

PeterS/Knight of Wands, are we going to do any more IDS reading exchanges before the IDS "officially" ends in June?

T.
 

Attachments

  • 21 -- Carnival.jpg
    21 -- Carnival.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 52
  • 20 -- Ancestors.jpg
    20 -- Ancestors.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 19 -- Gros Bon Ange.jpg
    19 -- Gros Bon Ange.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 47

thorhammer

I've finally opened up my copy of 21 Ways, and I'm taking that, my journal and the WoC on holiday with us. Hopefully I get some spare time to sit by the pool in the resort and journal like mad!

\m/ Kat
 

Disa

thorhammer said:
I've finally opened up my copy of 21 Ways, and I'm taking that, my journal and the WoC on holiday with us. Hopefully I get some spare time to sit by the pool in the resort and journal like mad!

\m/ Kat


That sounds perfect. Have fun!

D
 

Gazel

Forrest of souls - my opinion - and about my IDS - or lack thereof

Thorhammer said:
Just as soon as I'm done with Forest of Souls

sapienza said:
I found that book impossible to get through. I just got lost in what felt like going around in circles. It wasn't that I didn't understand what I was reading, I just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I did get some great insights in the early chapters but in the end I gave up. Do you have her deck Kat? I wondered if it might be easier to follow if you actually had the deck? I wasn't about to get it though as it doesn't really appeal to me.

Actually, I reread the book in question while I waited for the birth to start. I was sort of in a limbo so I just grabbed something read before, that did not need my full attention. That is I read the beginning and the end of the book, and left some chapters in the middle to themselves. I do understand what you're saying, but I do like the "ramblings" and especially the connctions Pollack makes. I don't at all feel like using the Shining Tribe Tarot, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

I think I should try to make the Opening of the Heart spread in the book - when I get the time for it - if I ever :(

My IDS is like dying slowly - but I dont really feel bad about it, since I think I'll continue using the UW after the official end anyway. And I have sort of lost track of my intentions from before Tristan was born - nothing like nursing can turn ones brain into a swiss cheese.

As I have stated before, my tarot experience is like one long UW IDS anyway. I have managed to do one or two readings for my self since Tristan came along, and I have been reading on and off in Tarot for Yourself.

The good thing about nursing is that it gives my the opportunity to read alot - tarot related as well as other stuff.

Happy to read about how you all get along, anyway.

Love, Gazel

(Eek, now he woke up again)
 

rwcarter

All kinds of catch-up and a few questions

I've been absent for awhile, but I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so will have lots of free time to continue with the IDS.

Last week was one of highs and lows. I managed to finish my study of all 78 cards by Tuesday the 13th and printed out the whole thing on Wednesday. I posted the whole Disks suit to the Study Group on Saturday, so now the AET Study Group is complete. I even PMd those original contributors to the Study Group who are still active at AT and invited them to contribute again.

Partner's well on the mend. He's able to do most everything for himself but I still took him to his appointments last week. He had four appts Friday afternoon, so we were at the hospital all afternoon. Then we ended up in Emergency all night. He got the dressing changed for his PICC line as his last appt. When he went to do his infusion Friday night, he couldn't cause the line didn't work. Long story short we spent 11 hours in the ER, 10 of which were simply waiting, until they finally removed the new dressing and fixed the kink that the woman had introduced when she put the bandage on. 11 hours for a whole 10 minute process. UGH.

Now that I've completed the "intellectual" part of my IDS study, I'm ready to form a more intimate relationship with the cards. As I've mentioned before most of the cards had a lot to say during my intellectual study, but a number of them didn't have much to say at all. I thought someone had posted questions they were going to use to aid in journaling with their cards, but in glancing back through the whole thread, I didn't see anything. I saw Gazel's IDS Interview Spread (which I meant to do but never got around to). I also saw a post from Disa in which she mentioned 15 questions (which sounds about like the number of questions from the post I was remembering), but I didn't actually see any post listing what the questions were. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, can you tell me what post number it is in this thread or point me to what other thread the information might be in?

Interviewing the cards is a good idea, but I have no idea what questions to ask. Anyone have any ideas there?

Glancing back through the thread was a worthwhile exercise in and of itself. KnightofWands, did you ever find your Princess of Pentacles from your Druidcraft?

On unrelated news, we picked up our new puppy this morning. She's a Tibetan Spaniel and is actually the daughter of our male, who is curious about her and at the same time doesn't wanna get too close to her. Guess he thinks she must have cooties or something! :laugh:

One thing I'm going to do that will hopefully help with those cards that don't speak to me is to look at the astrological associations of the cards. For example, Aries (The Emperor) is ruled by Mars (The Tower). The Queen Wands and Prince Disks are both related to the Emperor and the Tower, as are the 2-4 Wands. Hopefully by looking at how all those cards interact, I'll be able to make some connections and get a better understanding of all the cards, esp those that currently don't mean much to me.

And I need to get back on track with my Daily Draws.

The IDS has changed the way I will approach decks in the future. At this point I don't think the AET is the only deck I'll use from this point on, at least not until I feel comfortable with (almost) every card in the deck. Theoretically I only have a little more than a month to go before my IDS can be over. At this point I don't know if I'll continue past 19 June with this deck or if I'll do something else at that point. Guess I'll know more closer to 19 June.

Rodney
 

Promise

I've been lurking this thread for the past few days, but have been afraid of posting. I'm afraid that once I start, I won't be able to stop myself.

While I have been using only my ToP, I can't say that I've been exactly studying it. To make a long story short, what was supposed to be a routine surgical operation turned into much more than that, and after kind of accepting the devastation of it all, it's been hard for me to get my head anywhere near normal. Being 20 and having to reconcile with the fact that you'll never be able to have children is quite...I can't really describe it. But it's not nice. Then to add insult to injury, I lost a long-term relationship over it.

But even when I didn't feel like studying or reading or even getting out of bed, my ToP was there with me, and even if it was just mindless shuffling or taking out the Majors and playing Solitaire, I used it all the same.

With all of the other things going on in my life, I haven't really been able to make the IDS a priority, but I've enjoyed it nonetheless. Bonding intimately with a deck is an amazing process, and it really opens your eyes to the things you look for in a deck, in other people, and in yourself.

Once my life settles down a little bit and I'm able to really devote the attention and time that it deserves, I'd love to take on another IDS, and really get into the "study" aspect this time.
 

Disa

rwcarter said:
Now that I've completed the "intellectual" part of my IDS study, I'm ready to form a more intimate relationship with the cards. As I've mentioned before most of the cards had a lot to say during my intellectual study, but a number of them didn't have much to say at all. I thought someone had posted questions they were going to use to aid in journaling with their cards, but in glancing back through the whole thread, I didn't see anything. I saw Gazel's IDS Interview Spread (which I meant to do but never got around to). I also saw a post from Disa in which she mentioned 15 questions (which sounds about like the number of questions from the post I was remembering), but I didn't actually see any post listing what the questions were. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, can you tell me what post number it is in this thread or point me to what other thread the information might be in?


Rodney


Rodney I can't recall having 15 questions. I scoured my posts and I can't seem to find a post like that. Maybe someone else had the questions? The main thing I've done is use the spreads in the Tarot of the Crone book- there are tons of them but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

I'm glad you partner is doing so much better. I hope you have an enjoyable time off and that you keep your cards well away from your new puppy. :)

As for me, I'm not progressing as much as I had hoped with the IDS. I was actually off 2 days and had the weekend as well where I thought I could spend quality time with my cards, but I think now I have bronchitis so mostly I've surfed the net and slept all these days. Back to work for me tomorrow. Ugh.

I've done well not to order any new decks, but I have now received all of the ones I had on pre-order at the time we started the IDS. I'm getting anxious to start with my Bohemian Gothic and the Buckland Romani. I think those I will study together and see how that works once we are finished here. I still have tons to learn with the Tarot of the Crone, but I'm losing steam.
 

Disa

Promise said:
I've been lurking this thread for the past few days, but have been afraid of posting. I'm afraid that once I start, I won't be able to stop myself.

While I have been using only my ToP, I can't say that I've been exactly studying it. To make a long story short, what was supposed to be a routine surgical operation turned into much more than that, and after kind of accepting the devastation of it all, it's been hard for me to get my head anywhere near normal. Being 20 and having to reconcile with the fact that you'll never be able to have children is quite...I can't really describe it. But it's not nice. Then to add insult to injury, I lost a long-term relationship over it.

But even when I didn't feel like studying or reading or even getting out of bed, my ToP was there with me, and even if it was just mindless shuffling or taking out the Majors and playing Solitaire, I used it all the same.

With all of the other things going on in my life, I haven't really been able to make the IDS a priority, but I've enjoyed it nonetheless. Bonding intimately with a deck is an amazing process, and it really opens your eyes to the things you look for in a deck, in other people, and in yourself.

Once my life settles down a little bit and I'm able to really devote the attention and time that it deserves, I'd love to take on another IDS, and really get into the "study" aspect this time.


Promise, I'm so sorry to hear of the trials you've gone through. I'm sure it felt overwhelming at times and I hope you will find peace somehow, soon. I have also noticed that having our decks with us as we sort through the different phases and obstacles of life does help us to bond with the deck and it is comforting in a way to know it's always there with us. Somehow, the decks help us through, like an old trusted friend. Take care of yourself xoxox

With love,
Disa