Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Skimo

sravana said:
Hey Skimo,
My intention is to IDS with the Maat - and use the Druid Animal/Plant Oracle for the second deck (some of us were talking about limiting to a tarot and an oracle).

We could have big fun!

Of course, I've just started studying Japanese, so the IDS will be a slow thing for me.. :)

It could be fun indeed and I need my faeries, so I will use them for my oracle.

The only thing is my next IDS won't begin before august (I will need to work with the deck I will choose for the larp in july).
My birthday, the 8th day of the 8th month of 2008 could be a good time to begin for me. I will think about it!

I may join you then!

shamoness

Next IDS

Just wondering if this thread will stay open for those who will be starting their IDS. Or will a new thread be started?

Alamaris

I think a new thread should be started, perhaps on the 22nd. Its a little intimidating to see a 100+ page thread! We could call it "Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread: Phase 2" or something.

SolSionnach

Skimo said:
It could be fun indeed and I need my faeries, so I will use them for my oracle.

The only thing is my next IDS won't begin before august (I will need to work with the deck I will choose for the larp in july).
My birthday, the 8th day of the 8th month of 2008 could be a good time to begin for me. I will think about it!

I may join you then!

That sounds very good - what is a larp?
I like the alliteration of your birthday: 08/08/08! I bet the strength card is important for you - that, or justice (the 8/11 controversy...)

Disa

Alamaris said:
I think a new thread should be started, perhaps on the 22nd. Its a little intimidating to see a 100+ page thread! We could call it "Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread: Phase 2" or something.

That's a good idea. Once this IDS is over, I do plan to do another IDS with a new deck to at least last through Halloween.

(Can I still call it an IDS if I use 2 decks at once? I'm thinking of the Bohemian Gothic and the Buckland Romani together)

PeterS

12 days to go!

I am very thankful to have foudn this IDS early and happy that I took this voyage. I will still continue to study the Liber T due to its depth and the breakthroughs I have had in the IDS.

I am looking forward to getting into a few different decks as well. I think that sticking with one deck is great and though I don't think that the Liber T will be my main reading deck it opened a few doorways and is teaching me a different concepts that I would not have learned any other way.

For the sake of those who may embark on this path later those of us who have participated in the IDS might take a moment and share our experiences. What was great, what was tougher than you thought, what would you change and what should stay the same. This all started out as a One Deck Wonder exercise and we adapted it based on that experience. It might be helpful for the second round to have our accounts to learn from as they go forward.

Peter.

thorhammer

shamoness said:
Just wondering if this thread will stay open for those who will be starting their IDS. Or will a new thread be started?
The mods approached me a while back about starting a new thread when this one got to 1000 posts long, and as it so happens, that event coincided nicely with the unofficial *end* of the first IDS! So the new thread is here:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=100284
PeterS said:
For the sake of those who may embark on this path later those of us who have participated in the IDS might take a moment and share our experiences. What was great, what was tougher than you thought, what would you change and what should stay the same. This all started out as a One Deck Wonder exercise and we adapted it based on that experience. It might be helpful for the second round to have our accounts to learn from as they go forward.

Peter.
Great idea! Although some might have to go in the new thread, when the mods close this one.

For mine, I learned new discipline. It ended up being more about me than about the deck, in a way, because I learnt that when you get the wrong answer, or a hard answer, or an obtuse one, you don't achieve anything by running to the next deck for *clarification* - it's just backing down. I learnt to push myself, and as such I'm just reaching a point now where I'm getting more out of every card than I ever expected, and in a totally different way.

While I'm intending to technically break out of the IDS mode, pursuing the Thoth/Liber T, I'm still going to be working with my Wheel of Change. I've learnt a great deal about this deck's tone in the last few months, and now I understand that it will be a great antidote when the intellectualisation of the other two gets me down. It's a lot freer than I expected - wanted, even, as I was really after something that I could buckle myself to - but I found out that it is a deck that marries up with my personal worldview very well.

I'm a better, more patient, more open-minded reader now. My mind is more tenacious with difficult conceptions - both intellectually difficult, and emotionally/psychologically difficult. I have grown a great deal. And I love *my* deck.

\m/ Kat

Skimo

sravana said:
That sounds very good - what is a larp?
I like the alliteration of your birthday: 08/08/08! I bet the strength card is important for you - that, or justice (the 8/11 controversy...)

A larp is a live action role playing game. Here is a link about the subject :
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=100077

As a leo vet, I feel more related to strength than Justice... the VIII is my soul card and 8 is also he number that shows up when I makes the math with my name...
I should do a big party this year!

The IDS has helped me to learn to read.

It finally didn't prevent me to buy more decks, but I guess that reading with all my decks while I am beginning to learn would have been more confusing than helpful for me.

The Halloween tarot is a great deck for me.

Prism

Skimo said:
The IDS has helped me to learn to read.

It finally didn't prevent me to buy more decks, but I guess that reading with all my decks while I am beginning to learn would have been more confusing than helpful for me.
Me too! As a beginning reader, I'm really glad I found this group. It made me stay focused on the cards. I haven't been as disciplined as I thought I would -- my journal is a mess, and I jump around from plan to plan as far as my daily practice is concerned. But since I have never been very disciplined about anything, that doesn't really surprise me all that much.

I have bought a couple of decks, and I'm looking forward to doing another IDS with one of them. Now I have to make up my mind between the VR and the Golden. Hmmm.

teomat

I really want join this group when I get my Deviant Moon deck - but it could take months. :(

At the moment I'm using my Spanish Tarot...however I'm not sure I can keep the commitment of doing an IDS with it. It would feel like I'm killing time with it, while all the time lusting after the Deviant Moon.

Would it be fair to do an IDS with the Spanish, knowing that it'll be dumped when the DM arrives..?