jenea's deck: first eight cards

jenea

Hello all!

I invite you to check out the beginnings of my (as yet unnamed) deck here: http://jenea.com/art/tarot/index.htm (be sure to surf around to see all the cards).

The cards I have completed are:
II: The High Priestess
III: The Empress
XII: The Hanged Man
XVI: The Tower
Five of Cups
Queen of Pentacles
Eight of Wands
Page of Wands

No swords yet!

Let me know what you think! Be kind, I'm a beginner using deck creation as a learning tool! :)

-jenea

Rhiannon

Very interesting jenea! I like it. It took me a second to figure out the perspective on that Hanged Man... but then when I saw it I said "Wow! How original!" Makes you feel like you're part of the card.

keep it up!
R :)

Major Tom

A very good start. :) I hope you enjoy your journey of discovery as much as I'm enjoying mine.

By the way - welcome to the community. :D

Faerie Lin

Lovely! I especially love the hanged man and the Queen of Pentacles!! You are moving along quite nicely!

Mimers

Jenea,

I just want to start by saying I think your deck is awsome. I also realize it is your deck and your creation. I don't know if it is meant for just you personally, or if you go public with it, but there is one thing I must comment on. When I saw the Tower card, I did not get any sense of "this card is not always bad" that you use in your description. There was nothing good about that day. My stomach is tight and my eyes are welling with tears thinking of all the people that died that day. All the children I know who's Mom or Dad never came home. The most earie thing about that day for me was driving past the train station and seeing all the cars sitting in the parking lot belonging to people who never came home. That coupled with the person falling from the building is a bit much concidering real live human beings jumped from that building else they die of flames. If you plan to share this on line perhaps you might consider these things. You asked for people to be gentle because you are a beginner. I am asking you to be gentle because I know people that died that day.

jenea

Hi Mimers,

I'm sorry you had such a poor reaction to my Tower. Do you suggest I put some kind of warning on the site for others who might respond as you did (sort of like I did with the warning about nudity)?

-jenea

Major Tom

Jenea - Mimers' reaction is particularly useful and if you think about it, validating. You certainly aren't the first to use that imagery. (Actually, since I designed my card within days of the event I'd like to think I was).

I wasn't there, but I know people who were. When I first posted my Tower card, there were people who told me that I was evil and only trying to glorify the event. My response to that is I've seen no other event in real life that better represents the energy of the Tower. It was a sad day yes, but it also caused massive change in the world at large, perhaps especially in America.

Put up a warning if you think you're going to need it. Bad reactions to my card stopped within days. I've actually had more good reactions and compliments than complaints, including those who've said my Tower card inspired them to create their own cards. Which is what I've always hoped my deck would do. ;)

rota

I've enjoyed looking over these first cards in your deck. This is a wonderful effort -- very clearly worked out and well made.

It'll be interesting to follow this as time goes on. I'll be curious to find out what sorts of things change as you continue to make cards: source imagery, format, colors, work technique. I'm a fellow deck-maker, so I understand some of what you're going through. Best of luck in this endeavor!

Mimers

jenea said:
Hi Mimers,

I'm sorry you had such a poor reaction to my Tower. Do you suggest I put some kind of warning on the site for others who might respond as you did (sort of like I did with the warning about nudity)?

-jenea

Jenea,

I got your message, and thank you for considering my feelings. I want to say that I think it would be a good idea to put a warning so that people looking at your site can decide for themselves. I was totally enjoying and admiring your deck, then I clicked on the Tower and BOOM, I felt like someone punched me in the stomach.

Before I make more comments, I would like to say that your work is inspiring and you have a true gift. I encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. I also would like to add that it is your deck and your site and I respect that even if I object to how you portray The Tower.

May I also give you and Major Tom something to consider? In the Tower Card, what does the lightning bolt, the source of the chaos, represent to you?

Thank you again, Jenea, for being so considerate.

Mimers

SherryZoned

Absolutely Love the Hanged man..I really am enjoying your deck. I hope you are able to finish and print it out cuz I wanta copy!

I completely understand mimers view. and I understand yours. To me. The tower looks unique but also like any other tower on another tarot deck.. people falling down..Fire..chaos. but it does bring about change. A warning may be neccesary.