Joel's Tarot

Lady Eclipse

Hi everyone,

Here are four of the cards from my friend Joel's tarot deck he's making. I was not able to critique his deck and I'm hoping some of you can. I stuck them on a webpage so you can form your own opinion. He would like to know what you think and I will direct him here later so he can see what you have to say about them. Here is the link: http://www.geocities.com/the_metetron/JoelsTarot.html

Joy to you.
Maralee

Major Tom

Judging by your previous thread Maralee, Joel will surely gather some clue what you think. :laugh: I applaud your generosity in finding some webspace for him and do hope he will appear to talk about his deck.

I like his images for their refreshing naiveity, but do wonder how much Joel really knows about tarot? The Tower card looks nearly completely black? The High Priestess card has a bunch of bananas?

Joel might think about joining 78 Weeks of Study. ;)

Astra

Well, my first thought was that they look as though they were done by four different artists - three, actually, as I could not make out any detail in The Tower, so it's anybody's guess. Going from one card to another was a bit startling, as I was expecting some continuity between them. Might or might not be a problem in doing readings with them, though I would want to see more cards before I'd be sure one way or another.

The images look as though they might have been put together in MSPaint, which doesn't have the tools to blend and enhance a collage effort. Joel might want to see about getting a copy of PaintShop Pro, which has many of Adobe PhotoShop's features, but at a much lower price, if he doesn't want to spend the bucks. He can find the program at http://www.jasc.com if he's interested.

And I really, really want to know what's with the bananas...

baba-prague

Ah - not sure what to say here! There is collage and collage. Personally I think collage only really works well when the person making the images can draw (call me old-fashioned!). The problem is that it LOOKS like an easy technique - but to do it well actually takes longer than drawing images from scratch.

So - do you think you could gently suggest something like Joan Bunning's site? It might at least prompt him to rethink the cat and the bananas (!?)

It's always nice to see someone making an attempt - but beyond that I honestly can't think what to say. If it was the work of a first-year student I would sit down and get them to look at some real collage work - and also at some real tarot cards.

On the other hand, if he is just doing this for his own fun, then why not?

Lady Eclipse

Major Tom said:
Judging by your previous thread Maralee, Joel will surely gather some clue what you think. :laugh: I applaud your generosity in finding some webspace for him and do hope he will appear to talk about his deck.

I like his images for their refreshing naiveity, but do wonder how much Joel really knows about tarot? The Tower card looks nearly completely black? The High Priestess card has a bunch of bananas?

Joel might think about joining 78 Weeks of Study. ;)

Hi Major Tom,

Thank you for responding. Yes, I do realize Joel will get an idea of what I think, but, just because I didn't care too much for the way they were put together doesn't mean he couldn't improve it if he took the time.

I have 35+ web pages for various reasons so it wasn't too hard to find a place to put his cards. He doesn't know how to make a web page so I thought it would be nice to help him out. :)

He doesn't know much about tarot. He expressed an interest about two years ago. I bought him several decks so he could get an idea of the different styles and possibly learn to read at least some of them. I bought him the standard RWS, Robin Wood, Voyager, Gendron, Omaggio a Erte, Lo Scarabeo's Celtic Tarot, and Cosmic Tribe. I even gave him the Tarot Universal Dali and a Miss Cleo deck for the holidays last year. He loves the Voyager and seems to work with it most often.

I'm pretty puzzled by the images too but I think what bugged me the most was those borders. They don't go with any of the designs and stick out like a sore thumb, IMO.

Maybe I can get him to join. I think he would learn a lot from you!

Joy to you,
Maralee

Diana

I am very curious about the bananas. He must have put them there for a reason. Could you ask him and let us know? They are very unusual, to say the least.

baba-prague

Lady Eclipse said:
I bought him the standard RWS, Robin Wood, Voyager, Gendron, Omaggio a Erte, Lo Scarabeo's Celtic Tarot, and Cosmic Tribe. I even gave him the Tarot Universal Dali and a Miss Cleo deck for the holidays last year. He loves the Voyager and seems to work with it most often.

Good grief! Well, in that case ignore my comments. I just assumed he hadn't really seen any tarots before.

Does he like or use the Omaggio a Erte? PLEASE do tell him I would buy it like a shot if it is just somewhere gathering dust (it's a deck I love and it is generally too expensive for me right now). Sorry, but I once saw a rather hopeless case would-be tarot designer who CUT UP a rare deck to make her dreadful sketches - it has haunted me a bit since - don't let him do anything awful to the Erte please (no, no, I'm sure he realises how special it is).

You have obviously been incredibly generous and helpful. I can understand now why you feel frustrated!

Oh dear, it's a difficult situation. Well, as Diana says, please at least ask about the bananas. We all wonder about those I think.

Lady Eclipse

Astra said:
Well, my first thought was that they look as though they were done by four different artists - three, actually, as I could not make out any detail in The Tower, so it's anybody's guess. Going from one card to another was a bit startling, as I was expecting some continuity between them. Might or might not be a problem in doing readings with them, though I would want to see more cards before I'd be sure one way or another.

The images look as though they might have been put together in MSPaint, which doesn't have the tools to blend and enhance a collage effort. Joel might want to see about getting a copy of PaintShop Pro, which has many of Adobe PhotoShop's features, but at a much lower price, if he doesn't want to spend the bucks. He can find the program at http://www.jasc.com if he's interested.

And I really, really want to know what's with the bananas...

Hi Astra,

Thanks for responding and for the link. It looked that way to me too (You should see the other four I didn't post! I'll post them if you're ready to partake such an adventure). I'm guessing he didn't have a particular style in mind or couldn't decide upon one?

I don't know for certain what he used to make them...I didn't ask. I do know he has PhotoShop on his computer since he mentioned purchasing it some months ago.

I REALLY want to know what's with the bananas too!

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse

"On the other hand, if he is just doing this for his own fun, then why not?"

Hi baba,

Thanks for responding. He actually has plans to submit this deck to publishers so it's definitely not for his own fun.

Joy to you,
Maralee

allibee

Hi Lady Eclipse

When we show our work publicly, and request feedback it is hoped that one can learn from that feedback, so let us hope that Joel is willing to listen with an open mind ....

I will first give my opinion as an illustrator ... joel could do with some classes
Opinion as a tarot reader ... joel could do with some classes.
If required I could dress this up in 'interesting' ambiguities ... but that would not help Joel if this is something he REALLY wants to do.

I would like to see his 5th deck, when it is made.