"Jung and Tarot" by Sallie Nichols ??????

Freddie

I finally ordered this book. I've debated on it for years, because I didn't know if I was ready to absorb it yet. I feel I've found a deck I'm 150% comfortable with and I am "tarot card meaning" confident enough (though that is a life long journey I never want to stop with) to move on to learning about a deeper "psychological" level with the cards. Any opinions on it.

I enjoy reading Jung in general so I'm looking forward to getting my little paws on this book.

God Bless,

Freddie

JustBlue

I didn?t know that Jung made use of Tarot.
But I do recall reading a snippet about Jungs connection to the I ching though. (and astrology I think)
Do stop by later on and give us a little "mini" take on the book, if you find the time.

jmd

There are, apparently, a series of unpublished lectures which Jung made on the Tarot, recorded by Hanni Binder.

This is mentioned in the Jungian-oriented The Tarot: a Myth of Male Initiation, p125 (published by CG Jung Foundation for Analytical Psychology, 1983).

If any-one has access to these lectures, I would definitely like a copy...

Freddie

Hi,

I'll let everyone here know my take on it. Jung is one of my all time heros and I wish the man was more well known to the general public. The world would be a better place to live if so. I have benefited greatly from his writings and he has straightened my head out more than a few times. I'm not the only one either, Sting (the rock musician) for example, credits studying Jung for basically saving his life.

If anyone here is in moderate "everyday type" suffering and can't seem to get out of the black hole they are in, go to the library and get yourself some Jung books to read. This will help, I promise it will if you open your mind, soul , and heart to it.

"With one breath, with one flow, you will know Snchronicity. A sleep trance, a dream dance, a shared romance. Snchronicity". "IT'S SO DEEP, IT'S SO WIDE, YOUR INSIDES, SNCHRONICITY...".

Freddie

blue

Freddie;

Good choice! I read it years ago and still reread sections to this day. I think you won't be disappointed.

tarotbear

Yes- but this book is not a transcript of those lectures, if that is what you are expecting. Nichols was a disciple of Jung and these discussions are hers based on Jung's system, not writings taken from the master's mouth on his deathbed or something....

Freddie

Hi Tarotbear,

I enjoy reading almost anything written by Carl Jung or anything strongly based on his work. I've read books by his former students, friends, and co-workers and found some of them to be quite good. I'll have to seek out his material concerning the tarot someday soon, it sounds very interesting.

Freddie

catlin

Hi,

I started reading this book some weeks ago as wanted to dive into the subject of Jung and the Archtypes but frankly speaking I was a bit disappointed.

There were some interesting points in it but I found it abit difficult to read as S. Nichols seemed to jump from one thought to the next (maybe there got something lost in the translation. I read the German edition as it was a special prize offer) and so I found it diffucult to hang on. Ok, maybe it was not the right book for reding it in hospital.

I will give it another try during my Christmas vacation.

tarotbear

Catlin, IMHO - you're not too far off!

I bought the book since 'everyone' keeps hearing/talking about "Jung &Tarot, Jung & Tarot, Jung & Tarot". I am no expert here, mind you, but all I ever seem to find is that Jung was 'fascinated' with Tarot since it fit into his theory of archetypes. He was not a reader or anything like that; nor did he do extensive writings about it, either. We, as tarot enthusiasts have taken maybe 6-8 pages of text on the subject and have elevated it into the Encyclopedia Brittanica!

I bought the book since I thought the analogies of 'Squeaky Fromme' as the Fool and some of the other connections was interesting, but I too, thought the book jumped from subject to subject.

Weren't Jung's writings originally in German or Dutch and translated into English?

Thought the book was interesting, but as I have said, it is the compilation of someone's lectures based in Jung's theories, but not a direct writing of Jung himself.

Freddie

Hi Tarotbear,

I understand what you are saying. Are you talking about Squeaky from the Manson family? If so, what the hell kind of book is this? LOL.... Oh well, if so, it's not the first time I've been ripped off. I can't stand that Manson Family at all. She's not my idea of "The Fool" at all, the woman is a killer.

Freddie