Justice vs. Adjustment, Strength vs. Lust, etc.

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Hi everyone! So I recently got my hands on the Thoth deck and I decided I would try mixing in the alternate Major Arcanas: Adjustment, Lust, Aeon, Art, Priestess, Fortune, and Magus.

Could anyone help me in brainstorming ways I can differentiate the energies of these cards from their more common counterparts?

For example, I can imagine Strength as compassion, inner control of one's wilder nature... while Lust would deal more with reveling in the power gained from mastering your beast, maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p

Nemia

I wouldn't compare it with the RWS but just learn the Thoth as independent tarot, including the astrological attributions and the Tree of Life (which I feel are much more necessary for the Thoth than for the RWS although it's possible to use the Thoth without this knowledge - but it's so much better if you study it). I'd buy a good book, Snuffin or DuQuette Milo, which give you a good and not too difficult entry into the world of the Thoth, and just start to work with it.

IMO it's easier to understand Adjustment and Lust in the context of the whole deck and its back story, than to compare them to trumps from other decks. For the learning stage, that seems confusing to me although for a later stage, when you know them all well, it might be a very interesting study.

But this is only my opinion, based on how my brain works, and by no means representative. I'm curious what others will have to say.

(I have to say that I worked with the Thoth for many years before I bought my first RWS and for me, Thoth is my primary deck. I learned the RWS with a separate compartment of my head ;-) - I feel these two decks are best read with different reading styles... )

ETA: I assumed that with the "more common counterparts" you meant the RWS, seeing that you're in the US, and not the TdM. I hope that was correct.