Kaplan Encyclopedia Question

SixDegrees

(Mods - Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.)

Hello Everyone-

I have a question, and any help you can give me in answering it would be much appreciated. I am undertaking an academic project tracing the historical development of the tarot (no easy feat, I know). From what I know, Kaplan's Encyclopedia volumes would seem to be a valuable resource. Unfortunately, I do not own any of them and am somewhat strapped for cash. My question is this: Does volume four encompass most of the important information regarding historical development, or would I be better off purchasing volume two (which seems to be more focused on pre-20th century decks)? Or is there something else I should know about volumes one and three that would help me in my project?

I suppose that's two questions, in the end. Thank you for all of your help!

le pendu

Volumes 1 and 2 cover history. 2 in particular, I think, is the most valuable by far. 3 doesn't, I don't have 4, but my impression is that it too, like 3, is mostly about modern decks.

I would never talk you out of getting the Encyclopedias. They are wonderful. A LOT of information though is available on the web.

I would HIGHLY recommend this as a starting point for you:
http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Tarot_History

[website removed by moderator]

Rosanne

Le Pendu is right! I use Vol 1 and 11 for History.
Vol 111 for RWS- Vol 1V for its great bibliography on sources.
and all those sites that he mentions....
plus Andy's Playing card site- and here is just about the richest if you are good on searches.
http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards64.htm
~Rosanne

SixDegrees

Thank you both so much for your replies! I think I will end up getting the second volume to start with, and I'll certainly peruse those websites your suggested as well. Thanks again!

jmd

Resources that are essential will undoubtedly depend on what level is meant for "undertaking an academic project tracing the historical development of the tarot".

The Tarotpedia.com entry mentioned by le pendu (and essentially written by mjhurst) is, as far as I'm concerned, about the best succinct exposition there is anywhere.

Of the Encyclopedia of Tarot, my own preference (if only one is going to be purchased) remains vol. II. However, each volume adds omissions in previous volumes, so the whole set allows for self-checking.

Mention, I think, must also be made of the two-volume historical books by Dummett & al.. should the focus be tarot's development in its non-gaming uses:
Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot (with Ronald Decker and Thierry Depaulis), 1996, ISBN 0312162944; and

History of the Occult Tarot: 1870-1970 (with Ronald Decker), 2002, ISBN 0715631225.​

Debra

You have a PM, SixDegrees.

SixDegrees

Thank you all so much for your replies, suggestions and guidance. I really appreciate it. I think I'll start with the second and move on to the others as the project progresses. Thanks again!