Land lines: Necessary?

Shade

I haven't had a land line since 2002 or so and have been completely cellular ever since. I have been contemplating getting a land line in order to read for online companies but with all the focus on Skype these days is one strictly necessary?

OOnaOwl

It depends on the company(ies) your work for. Most of them do not require a landline, nor is one necessary. I just use my mobile phone and a headset & laptop. Most readings I do by IM chat on the laptop.

Yineth

Like OOnaOwl said, landlines really depend on what company you end up working for. It's best to browse your options before re-investing in something :)

[Land lines are cool though! They're stable and available when the power goes out and your cellphone kicks the bucket :p]

Grizabella

All I have is my cell phone. I voluntarily chose that. It's just a lot more personal to me and it goes wherever I go. No need to be home to avoid missing calls, etc. I have a phone that's blue tooth capable, although I'm not sure what that is, but doesn't it mean something that you put in your ear and you don't have to use your hands? So it's kind of like a landline headset? I put the cell phone number on my business cards and plan to use it as my all-purpose phone.

Shade

Unfortunately my cel phone reception is terrible in my apartment and dropped calls are quite frequent - was wondering if skype would be a substitute.

Thank you all though for your advice.

OOnaOwl

Unfortunately my cel phone reception is terrible in my apartment and dropped calls are quite frequent - was wondering if skype would be a substitute.

Thank you all though for your advice.

Yes, lots of places allow Skype.