Leftover energy?

BlueSun

Recently, I have been doing readings on a particular topic fairly frequently. For the last two times or so, when I immediately asked about ANOTHER TOPIC in the same sitting, the resulting cards did not make sense. It seemed like the cards were still talking about the previous subject. Could it be that the cards were still carrying the leftover energy of the previous topic?

Has this happen to anyone? How long should one wait before asking a question of a different topic? Or how should one "cleanse" the cards of the previous energy?

Grizabella

I don't feel any need to cleanse cards. As long as they're well shuffled between times, there's not really any problem, unless you didn't shuffle enough. To take care of that, I deal the cards out in four stacks to totally randomize them between readings and then just re-assemble the deck and I'm all set.

Maru

Recently, I have been doing readings on a particular topic fairly frequently. For the last two times or so, when I immediately asked about ANOTHER TOPIC in the same sitting, the resulting cards did not make sense. It seemed like the cards were still talking about the previous subject. Could it be that the cards were still carrying the leftover energy of the previous topic?

Has this happen to anyone? How long should one wait before asking a question of a different topic? Or how should one "cleanse" the cards of the previous energy?

That's rather strange. You shouldn't have to cleanse in-between readings.

Anecdoctal evidence in-coming, so have some salt handy, but when I was new with Tarot, they preferred strongly to be read a certain way. So if I didn't cover the last reading in the entirety (i.e. I withheld information from the querent (or myself)), then Tarot may re-reflect them in the next reading... until I "finished" it. I think this is just the cards helping with intuitive channeling... this strongly depends on your methods.

As for them coming back blurry. You could just be having issues with moving in-between readings. That is common I think in the beginning, especially if you're a slow burner when it comes to getting your meanings. If your first interpretations came pretty quickly, then I would re-frame the second reading to see if it's still chatting away about the previous... I get this reaction from my cards showing me that I need to confront the other issue more intently with the querent. It's because I work as a healer as the Tarot is a focus tool for my type of intuitive work.

BlueSun

Grizabella, If I remember correctly, I did shuffle pretty thoroughly.

EnergyPipes, You're probably right in that I didn't do a well enough transition or break to the next topic. I asked with pretty intense focus a series of questions for the 1st topic (the answers, by the way, were pretty consistent). Then I immediately asked about something completely different about a completely different topic, maybe the cards got confused. It's like when you have been talking to someone intensely about one topic for an hour, then immediately change topics. The other person would get disoriented and had to shift focus with some effort.

Grizabella

Dealing the cards into 4 piles would break the energy of the last reading, in my opinion. You might try it.

And don't get me wrong. Others here aplenty do feel the need to cleanse their deck in whatever way they feel works best for them. :)

BlueSun

Ok, I will try cutting the deck into four's while reshuffling. I usually only cut them into three's. Thanks!

Maru

EnergyPipes, You're probably right in that I didn't do a well enough transition or break to the next topic. I asked with pretty intense focus a series of questions for the 1st topic (the answers, by the way, were pretty consistent). Then I immediately asked about something completely different about a completely different topic, maybe the cards got confused. It's like when you have been talking to someone intensely about one topic for an hour, then immediately change topics. The other person would get disoriented and had to shift focus with some effort.

I've never known the cards to be "confused" per say. All seems pretty intentional when they disregard me. :p There's a possibility you didn't shuffle thorough enough, so I would troubleshoot this first. If it happens again, ask the cards why they're not giving you a straight answer... seriously.

Diessa

Yes. You are correct. This does happen. If you are familiar with the I-Ching, when a divination is done frequently, it will "muddy the waters" so to speak, and there is text that uses this phrase. An unchanging hexagram 4 is a common result when a divination is being done frequently, but the message is not being received.

It is entirely possible that there is a message you aren't processing, which can result in one of two outcomes. The first is that the cards don't answer your question directly and shift to another topic. The second is that when you shift to another topic, they don't, as you describe.

This is likely to occur when what you are asking about is working on a deep level. It appears that sitters are 'stuck' on something, which causes irritation in readers, and a loop with the cards, but if you trust the process, the karmic and/or spiritual task will work itself out and the question will be resolved.

Barleywine

I agree with Griz. I don't cleanse decks either (I did at one time, but it's been many years and was mainly a ritual thing), since I don't think they accumulate energy. Since I believe tarot links to the subconscious (your own or another's) it could be you haven't let go of that subconscious preoccupation yet, by channeling it through the cards and into conscious awareness. You might do a reading asking "What am I missing about this situation?" to see if it clears the air. You might also try switching to another deck if you have any doubts about that angle.

SunChariot

I don't tend to believe the cards carry energy from previous questions. My belief is more than the energy is inside the reader and the cards are simply the tool that brings it out in a form we can work with.

In my mind when what you described happens it could be one of 3 things.

1) There was more you needed to know about the previous reading that you did not think to ask. But you may have needed to know it. When that happens, the cards can take the next opportunity you use the cards to give you much needed info, it if is important for you to know. This does happen.

2) Your mind was not clear enough when you started the second reading and you were still thinking of the last one in the back of your mind. Since, imo, it's YOUR energy that manifests in the reading, it was still on your mind and you were still maybe focusing on it a bit inside. Possibly your mind was not clear when you were shuffling.

3) This to me is the one that is most likely in my experience anyway. The right cards DID come up to answer the second question. Maybe the cards to answer to second were similar to the ones to answer the first, but BOTH sets of cards were right. Or the right cards did come up but you were still interpreting them according to their meanings for the last reading, when there were meant to be some variations in the meaning.

Those are my opinions when this kind of thing happens.

But no, it's not my belief that the cards carry leftover energy from the previous reading. no matter how many times we read on the topic. But we ourselves may be carrying that over. Still focusing a bit on it inside.

BTW, I never cleanse cards either. I tend to go try to "cleanse" my mind instead, if readings come out foggy or confused. Then I take a break, take a walk, listen to some music, meditate...whatever helos. Then come back and try to read when my mind is clearer.

Babs