Lenormand images as story-telling devices

stella01904

The images of the Lenormand seem pretty universal, one often encounters them in film and literature. I thought it would be nice to collect them in a thread.
Let's start with a no-brainer: the opening credits for Gilligan's Island shows you a Clouds-Ship combination! "The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed!") That's when they get blown off-course - one of the few plausible things you'll see on that show! So you can bring this to a reading - Clouds-Ship could mean danger, or ending up where you didn't intend to go, at least metaphorically.

Alfred Hitchcock, Tales of the City, and the Bouquet
When you see cut flowers in Vertigo or Armistead Maupin's Hitchcock homage and wonderful screenplay of Tales of the City, someone always dies soon after.

The Bouquet is not normally read as a death omen in a reading, but it is important to remember that cut flowers have begun their dying process, they are temporary. This gives your more depth than simply thinking of the Bouquet as a small token of affection.

Jane Eyre Is Lenormand Paydirt

Whitcross is the Roads, Pilot is the Dog, nearly everyting in this novel seems to have a symbolic function. The Moon, especially, seems to recur at important events:

At the age of ten, Jane is in an orphan's institution where half the girls are dying of typhus. Her best friend, Helen Burns, is dying of tuberculosis, but Jane is only aware that she has "consumption" and thinks she will eventually get better. Jane is outside late one evening and the wind blows the Clouds away from the Moon. Jane has a realization that she had better go see Helen that very night, and she is correct. Helen dies later that night.

Jane survives and becomes an adult, the Moon initiates her meeting with Mr. Rochester, shines in her window and wakes her up when the madwoman escapes and knifes someone, and "the room was filled with moonlight" near the end of the book where Jane has her clairaudient experience. The Moon in this book infuses knowledge, it seems to clear mental obscurations. "She shines her light in the darkness". I've found this handy for reading, as well. :D

Hope everybody adds to this thread!

silverr

Fun idea. :) I don't have anything to contribute to the list just now - except perhaps loyal and faithful Lassie for the Dog card.

stella01904 said:
Alfred Hitchcock, Tales of the City, and the Bouquet
When you see cut flowers in Vertigo or Armistead Maupin's Hitchcock homage and wonderful screenplay of Tales of the City, someone always dies soon after.

The Bouquet is not normally read as a death omen in a reading, but it is important to remember that cut flowers have begun their dying process, they are temporary. This gives your more depth than simply thinking of the Bouquet as a small token of affection.
On this one, I'd really hesitate to consider death as a regular aspect to consider when the flowers are drawn. While it could represent death (because really, any card could if the reading called for it), I'd really think that would be the exception rather than the norm since the emphasis of Bouquet is on their beauty and the sentiment.

However, if you put Scythe next to Bouquet, the emphasis is on the cut aspect. In that combination, I'd be more inclined to consider death. That Scythe can cut through pretty much anything. ;)

stella01904

silverr said:
Fun idea. :) I don't have anything to contribute to the list just now - except perhaps loyal and faithful Lassie for the Dog card.

That's actually a very good one - what does Lassie do besides function as a companion to Timmy? (or Jeff, or the Ranger, etc. - whichever era Lassie we are considering....)

She guards and protects. She finds beings that are lost or injured....

On this one, I'd really hesitate to consider death as a regular aspect to consider when the flowers are drawn. While it could represent death (because really, any card could if the reading called for it), I'd really think that would be the exception rather than the norm since the emphasis of Bouquet is on their beauty and the sentiment.

That's what I was trying to say, I see now that I wasn't very clear about it. It's NOT a death omen, but it IS something very temporary and ephemeral. The situation shown by the near-lying cards probably won't be around for the long haul.

However, if you put Scythe next to Bouquet, the emphasis is on the cut aspect. In that combination, I'd be more inclined to consider death. That Scythe can cut through pretty much anything. ;)

Yes, that could work.

BTW, ever notice how nobody seems to consider the "harvest" angle of the Scythe? Sometimes I get Scythe-Fish for "payday"...:D

MareSaturni

That's a really fun idea :D

Also could inspire us to write our own 'Lenormand-driven' stories. You pull a combination and make a story...then pull more cards, see how this continues. I like the idea!

Astraea

Creating a narrative is also a good way to learn the sequence of the cards, e.g., "A Horseman rides over the Clover toward a Ship that will carry him to his House..."

stella01904

Remember the famous shot of Vivien Leigh (Scarlett O'Hara) standing by the big tree in Gone With The Wind? (If I'm remembering correctly, earlier in the movie she's standing there with her dad and he's telling her how important the land is to the family.)

That's a good angle on the Tree card. Rootedness. Family. Rhett can leave, but Scarlett will still be okay because she has Tara. ;)

Here's the Fox card, BTW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynard
A European reader would make the connection pretty quickly. Here in the US, we don't see much of Reynard, but there are other trickster heroes to call to mind: Coyote, Inktome, Anansi, Brer Rabbit, Bugs Bunny!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iktomi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi
etc.....