Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP)

tarotbear

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP)
By Estelle Daniels (resource: Llewellyn's Magical Almanac 2000)

Note: 'I' and 'We' refers to the original author. [Notes by Tarotbear are in brackets].

This is an effective grounding and centering exercise. It can be done audibly or silently, with or without the actual motion, visualizing only, and it still works. Technically this will also work if you just say the words and go through the motions without doing the visualizations.
This creates a circle specifically for banishing, cleansing, and warding. It should be allowed to dissipate, not be taken down. You do not have to cut yourself out when entering or exiting. I use it to seal hotel rooms when travelling. I also use it when I cannot sleep at night. It grounds, centers, and shields you from all noise (both audible and psychic), allowing you to relax and sleep. It also helps to cut out extraneous noise when life gets hectic.
All the words should be intoned - almost sung. Be loud. The first few times you do it you will feel conspicuous. That's normal. You will eventually get over it. We make our students do this every morning and evening for at least three weeks, and we do it in a group at the start of each class to get us into class mode.

Before starting, take three deep cleansing breaths and let each out slowly. Let all tensions and outside distractions fade away.

Part One: The Kabbalistic Cross

Stand facing east, feet shoulder-width apart, solidly and comfortably. Take your right hand and hold it above your head, and grab a golden energy beam from above and pull it down to mid-chest. As you do this intone AH-TAY (ATEH in Hebrew).

Next, take your right hand and grab the golden energy beam from below and pull it up to mid-chest height (same place as before- the two beams should meet and join), and say: MAL-KOOTH (MALKUTH in Hebrew).

Take your right hand and reach to the right and pull the golden energy beam from the horizon to mid-chest, meeting the other two, and say: VAY-GEH-BOO-RAH (VGBRH in Hebrew).

Take your right hand and reach across your body to the left and pull the golden energy beam from the horizon to mid-chest, where all four beams should meet, and say: VAY-GEH-DOO-LAH (VGDLH in Hebrew).

Then take both arms and cross them at chest level, hands touching shoulders, bow head and say: LAY-OH-LAHM as you seal the four beams together and feel the energy.

This roughly translates as "The Kingdom, and the Power and the Glory for ever and ever". This part can be done alone. It is a grounding and centering ritual that can help clear the mind.

Part Two:

Facing east, take the first two fingers of your right hand extended together (the universal athame) and make a high magic banishing pentagram in yellow -staring lower left and going clockwise. [This means: starting in the lower left corner, make a clockwise circle. When you get back to where you started, make a five-pointed star starting from that point and ending back where you started from]. When you have finished the pentagram point your fingers in the center of the pentagram. As you point say: YOHD-HAY-VAVH-HAY (YHVH in Hebrew - the Tetragrammaton [the Hebrew name for God]). The window opened by the pentagram will then draw out all the negative air energy from the circle.

Taking your fingers/athame, move to the south, make a pentagram in red, and say: AH-DOH-NAI-EE (ADNH in Hebrew, translated "the great and powerful lords"). You are now removing the negative fire energy.

Move to the west, make a pentagram in blue and say: AY-HAY-EE-AY (EHIH in Hebrew, translated "I am what I am"). You are now removing the negative water energy.

Move to the north, make a pentagram in green and say: AH-GAH-LAH-AAH (AGLH in Hebrew, translated as "Thou art great forever, oh Lord"). You are now removing the negative earth energy.

Return to the east. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms extended out to the sides, right hand pointing up, left hand pointing down.

Say: "Before me RAAF-AYE-EL," and visualize either the Archangel Raphael in yellow robes, or a yellow caduceus.
Then say: "Behind me GAB-RYE-EL," and visualize the Archangel Gabriel in blue robes or a blue trumpet.
Then say: "At my right hand MIKH-AYE-EL," and visualize the Archangel Michael in red robes or a red flaming sword.
Then say: "At my left hand AUR-AYE-EL," and visualize the Archangel Auriel in green robes or a green lantern.

The next part is more complicated. First say the words "Around me flame the pentagrams, above me shines a six-rayed star." There are three simultaneous visualizations that go with this. It takes practice and you can do one at a time until you get good at it. The visualizations are 1) the pentagrams you have made which are hanging in space and are connected by a silvery-blue thread as the circle seals itself. 2) Above your head appears a Star of David, which is two interlocking triangles, a white one pointed upward and a black one pointing downward. 3) Through your body, shaped and directed by your hands and arms will appear a cosmic lemniscate, better known as the infinity sign (a figure 8 on it's side) in gold. Feel the energy flowing around and through your arms and body.

All this occurs while you are saying the phrase. If you need to, take your time, stabilize the energies, and wait until it is all there. With practice it comes quickly.

Part Three:

Repeat Part One. You can bring the energy beams through your body this time if you want. You can also end with 'amen' to seal it.

Sienna

Thank you Tarotbear.

Sx

Leleii

Lbrp

Thank you. I really need to ground and center myself.
Leleii

tarotbear

Take a lot of time to read this ritual and don't rush through it. It really does work! I used to cast it while I was a flagger out in the middle of the roads to keep trucks from hitting me! It works!

Elven

Thankyou tarotbear :)

I just realized that Kate Bush has a song with this ritual in it!!

I'll be 'singing it' :)

Blessings
Elven x

Greywoolfe

Elven said:

Blessings
Elven x

Ooh, ooh, Gabriel before me
Ooh, ooh, Raphael behind me
Michael to my right
Uriel on my left side
In the circle of fire.

Love that song, love the lady! :)

:T2C

Elven

Two of Cups said:
Love that song, love the lady!:)

Totally!! Me too!!! :p Now I cant get this song out of my head this ritual should work quite nicely - I'm protected until at least 2011 :p

Blessings
Elven x

wizzle

LBRP is a terrific ritual and can be fancied up according to Michael Kraig's instructions:

http://www.asiya.org/lbrp.html

In which case it becomes really powerful. But it can also be as simple as

http://home.earthlink.net/~xristos/GoldenDawn/rituals01.htm

Note that according to Kraig you can visualize bright blue glowing pentagrams if the colors confuse you at first. Once you get all the steps down, try doing it around an altar or small table where you've put symbols for air, fire, water and earth. According to Kraig, the LBRP strengthens the aura when done daily.

Thanks TB for posting the complete instructions. Great idea.

isthmus nekoi

Elven said:

Blessings
Elven x

What? Which song??

Speaking of singing the LBRP, there's also note correspondences in Crowley's 777 for the Hebrew Letters. So you can actually sing the words which 1) might make the vibrations feel more natural - although they really should be more resonant than just singing... 2) act as a memory aid.