Let's Do Another Flotsam and Jetsam Swap!!!!

Witchy Woman

Good advise Gryff.................to BOTH OF US. !! thank you.

LadySeishou

You're very welcome.

Yes, drawings will stay on newsprint. Up until a few years ago I still had my newsprint sketches from college. They are from over 30 years ago. I wouldn't use it for stuff you want to frame and look at all the time because they will discolor with age. I had mine in a portfolio, so the light didn't hit them and they stayed very well. It was really interesting to look at the quick sketch exercises. They're kind of amazing, actually. Not hang-on-the-wall good, but fascinating nonetheless.

I think the idea here K is to buy something cheap so that you're not intimidated by experimenting with "good" (expensive, acid free) paper and then just let yourself go ;) Newsprint is pretty cheap. I use to buy it loose, hundreds of sheets at a time.
*running away after butting in*

GryffinSong

I think the idea here K is to buy something cheap so that you're not intimidated by experimenting with "good" (expensive, acid free) paper and then just let yourself go ;) Newsprint is pretty cheap. I use to buy it loose, hundreds of sheets at a time.

Exactly!!! K, think of these sketches as throwaways. Not to keep. Not to treasure. Not to fuss over. Not to turn into finished drawings. They're just exercises. No one EVER has to see them. These are for totally letting go and experimenting. Free yourself of the thought that you have to do a "work of art" and just try things, stretch yourself. It's one of the hardest things to learn, and something all of us struggle with at some point or other. The letting go of the final result and just enjoying the journey of growing.

LS, feel free to butt in anytime!!! :heart:

Witchy Woman

Like Gryff said,,,butt in anytime...first off. its on the net, everyone can see. So, your not butting in...nor am I :/ hehehe But Yeah, K....draw .draw. draw...Gryff has some great idea's that I was taught along time ago...forgot about, but shes right, it realy does work.

kaleanna

Exactly!!! K, think of these sketches as throwaways. Not to keep. Not to treasure. Not to fuss over. Not to turn into finished drawings. They're just exercises. No one EVER has to see them. These are for totally letting go and experimenting. Free yourself of the thought that you have to do a "work of art" and just try things, stretch yourself. It's one of the hardest things to learn, and something all of us struggle with at some point or other. The letting go of the final result and just enjoying the journey of growing.

LS, feel free to butt in anytime!!! :heart:

Morning Gryffin

will have to keep that in mind which definitely is not easy. I guess that is part of my problem that I have to let go of (thinking every one of the drawings have to be finished,LOL). Notsure that I know how to" free" myself, but will try.

kaleanna

LadyS! no running away allowed hun, :grin:

I understand about buying something non expensive. that is why I was asking if it says "newsprint" on the sketch pad. the ones I had looked at were on the pricey side and don't remember any that said newsprint on them.

kaleanna

Like Gryff said,,,butt in anytime...first off. its on the net, everyone can see. So, your not butting in...nor am I :/ hehehe But Yeah, K....draw .draw. draw...Gryff has some great idea's that I was taught along time ago...forgot about, but shes right, it realy does work.

That's right no one is buttingin :), it is everyone sharing ideas, learning, helping each other grow :D

Yes Gryff does have great ideas Witchy :D

kaleanna

best place to find newspaper print sketch pads/paper from?

GryffinSong

Yes, it will say newsprint on the front of the pad. Oddly enough, I just went through this, not having used it in YEARS. But I wanted something cheap and huge for my design sketches for art quilts. I found three sources. Art supply stores, online, and office supply stores. Now, I was looking for large paper at 24"x36". Actually, for loosening up huge is GOOD!!! I got 100 sheets for about $14 plus shipping. I think the total was $21. Amazon and other online places sell small pads. Simply do an internet search on "newsprint pad" to see what's available. If you can afford it, I highly recommend you get the large pad. If you can't, try to get at least 18" x 24". To loosen up you really need to get your arm into it. Think about drawing a small dragon. You're mostly moving your fingers and wrist. The idea is to get your elbow and shoulder moving and your hand sweeping across that paper. You really can't do that while sitting in a chair in front of a small piece of paper.

Edited to add: The office supply stores will probably be loose sheets, and it wasn't any cheaper than buying it in pads.

linnie

Even cheaper, if they have such things over in your part of the world, is the end-of-reel paper, the newsprint rolls that they have as leftovers... but you have to collect it from your local newspaper printery... or, cheaper still, butcher paper, that they wrap meat up in in some butcher shops... Maybe you can't get it any more over there, or even here, but worth a try, as my kids grew up on end-of-reel rolls of paper, or butcher's paper artworks..

Good luck with it all, ... I know from my own artwork that trying something completely different/coming from an unfamiliar slant, can totally open a person up to so much new creative energy... it's wonderful :):):)