Light and Shadow Study Group - The World

missy

First Impressions -

A figure which may represent Mother Earth is in the center of the card. In her belly is a turtle, and inside the turtle is a human fetus. There is a symbol between her legs. Surrounding her are white shapes which I cannot make out. In the four corners of the card appear to be animals.

Keywords I use for the World are integration, accomplishment, involvement, fulfillment. I also see the World as representing completion (of the Fool's journey, or our journey).

Symbolism* -

Lotus - The mother figure is seated on a lotus. The lotus petals are what surround her.

Turtle - Symbol of the earth. Turtle's head is a "yin-yang contrast, a symbol of balance, harmony, and endless struggle."

Embryo - Offspring of the World, "an emblem of the human soul waiting to unfold."

Woman - "Deep-breasted, fertile, and powerful, she never runs out of mother's milk."

Infinity symbol - On her brow, combined with the third eye.

Four elements - Symbols of the four elements in the corners: eagle, angel, cat, bull.

Spiral - Symbol of "universe and endlessness."

"She shelters all nature and makes it possible for humankind to thrive ... she also stands for our consciousness."

"She is the perfection and the completion of the human and the cosmic; a unity of mind, heart, and soul; within the self, and in and within the fabric of the universe."

*Note: All symbolism is taken from the companion book to the Light and Shadow tarot. First Impressions are written before looking at the book.