Lo Scarabeo decks

jcwirish

I'm wondering if anyone else feels the way I do. I think that Lo Scarabeo publishes decks with some of the most beautiful artwork, but I really don't like the way they do their borders on many of the decks. Those white borders with the names in four languages are so distracting to me. I find myself just ignoring their decks because I can't get past my aversion to those ugly borders. I'm sure I'm passing up some good decks with this attitude. I was so pleased with the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight because the dark borders didn't seem to detract from the cards themselves. Anyway, just wanted to know how you all felt about these borders. Also, would enjoy your thoughts on LS decks you love despite the borders, or because you like the borders.

thorhammer

LOL Soooo many people start with that attitude. But when you get an LS deck in the hand, the titles fade into oblivion; yes, many of their decks are exceptional, extremely valuable contributions to the development of Tarot.

I thought that way, too . . . then finally got one. It was the Tarot of the 1001 Nights, and it honestly blew me away. I now have A LOT of LS decks, and love the vast majority of them.

Not the Celtic, though. That one I hate. I may bin it yet.

\m/ Kat

jcwirish

Bummer Thorhammer,

I just traded a deck for the LS Celtic (decided to give them another try). Please tell me why you hate it. I'm very interested in your thoughts.

Golden Moon

jcwirish said:
... but I really don't like the way they do their borders on many of the decks. Those white borders with the names in four languages are so distracting to me.... just wanted to know how you all felt about these borders... ... or because you like the borders.

Well Jcwirish, you can always trim the borders :).

RiccardoLS

I think that MANY here on AT hates the borders and the multilingual titles.

Still - expecially among beginners and more casual Tarot lovers - the titles (and reading them in their own language) are important.

So, we need to balance, as we can.

Ric

missy

Circle of Life, one of my top three decks

As a beginner I like the keywords, and I'm okay with the other languages. As a collector I would never, ever trim a deck. (I know; never say never! :p Still.) I want the deck in its original format. Otherwise, to me, the deck feels ruined. From a collector's point it has no value once it has been trimmed.

In an ideal world, I would only have English titles. And slightly less border. But when I have a deck like the Circle of Life, which is one of my top three decks, as thorhammer says, the borders fade into oblivion, and all I am left with is a beautiful deck.

Plus, given Lo Scarabeo is printed in Italy, they could easily leave off the English keywords and just give us foreign language ones, which for me would not work at all, since I use the keywords. So I'm happy they have given me my language, and I'm sure other people in other countries feel the same way.

missy

jcwirish said:
Bummer Thorhammer,

I just traded a deck for the LS Celtic (decided to give them another try). Please tell me why you hate it. I'm very interested in your thoughts.

jcwirish, I, too, solicit the opinions of others when it comes to decks, all the time in fact! :party: :eek: but as I'm sure you've noticed, if you look through the threads here on favorite decks, you'll see time and again that people name different decks that don't match with others' opinions. :) Everyone has their own favorite or combination of favorites. One man's trash is another man's treasure. You'll never go through a thread and see everyone naming the same deck as their favorite deck.

So what might not work for thorhammer might work for you. Just sayin'. ;)

Again, this comes from someone who solicits opinions from others all the time! :eek: :D (But in the end, I have to listen to my own inner voice.) :) So even if thorhammer hates it, you may find yourself loving it.

jcwirish

I don't want you guys to think I have something against foreign languages. I love other languages and cultures and countries... I just don't like the way the borders look. Yes, I could trim them, but I don't always want to do that, especially if it destroys the design on the backs. I am fine with many other deck borders( of course this really isn't a big deal... borders), There is just something I am turned off by with these particular borders.

jcwirish

Missy,

I am hoping I will love the deck. I just thought it was funny that Thorhammer mentioned hating this particular deck mere hours after I traded for it. I'm actually more interested in it now. We'll see how I feel about it when I get it. I love the artwork of the Majors( still not the borders), but I guess the artwork for the Minors was done by someone else and is quite different. Still sounds interesting to me. Maybe I'll love it... ya never know.