Looking into Lenormand

Eeviee

After reading The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination by Robert Place and Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson, I've delved into the historical arena of Tarot and Cartomancy.

A couple of days ago, upon compiling a list of Major Historical Decks and their re-publications, I stumbled upon Lenormand. The lack of information (compared to Tarot), smaller deck size, and cheaper prices are intriguing!

Thinking of putting an order in (with Amazon US) for the LoS French Cartomancy, Mlle Lenormand Blue Owl by USG/AG Muller, Art Nouveau Oracle by LoS, and The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle by Sylvie Steinbach. I figure, one with Playing Card insets (FC), one with verse insets (BO), and a modern rendition (AN) will give me a lovely overview!
I've been eyeing the Art Nouveau Tarot, but just can't get into it's imagery. I think the Oracle will suffice quite nicely! ;]

Been reading through some threads here, and also taken with Pixie's Hidden Lenormand, and starlightexp's Day of the Dead Lenormand! -But first, I must get into the system before plopping down $40 of my hard earned cash on these miniature deck beauties!

What do you Lenormand users think of my selection? While I think it appears to be rather balanced, let me know what you think of these decks!

Also, any other English Lenormand books I should keep an eye out for?

annie27

Your choices are good. May also want to consider a great beginner deck -Piatnek- Jeu fde Destin. Beautiful clear illustrations and inserts. IMHO -a must have for beginners.

kalliope

Hi Eeviee,

I agree that the small size and cheaper prices make the Lenormand decks very attractive. I've found them addictive!

If you're looking for decks that are available through US Amazon, then I think you've chosen well. Although I agree with annie that the Piatnik deck is another good choice. The French Cartomancy is bigger than most Lenormand decks, so I preferred the Piatnik because it's smaller, and I like the backs.

If you're willing to shop at the Book Depository, which also ships for free to the US, you have several other reasonably priced options:

They stock the Blue Owl with playing card inserts (no verses), so unless you just want the verses for the sake of completion, you might prefer this one. You're unlikely to use the verses once you learn your own method of reading the cards, and you or your sitter could find them distracting or contrary to your meanings. (If you want verses but don't want to be distracted by them, and you don't read German, you could try the Red Owl, which is the same as the Blue Owl otherwise.) There is also the brightly colored White Owl (otherwise very similar to the Blue Owl with only a few differences in the actual illustrations), the very nice Koenigsfurt Orakelkarten, and the Lo Scarabeo Lenormand Oracle.

If you'd like to add a minimalist deck to your mix, the TBD also stocks the Bernd A. Mertz deck and the Gluck Wahrsagen Lenormand (this one is the tiniest of them all!).

As for books, there unfortunately aren't many in English out there. Many people like Sylvie's method, and I do have her book and found it interesting. But if you're at all intrigued by the more traditional reading methods, or by the Grand Tableau, then I'd encourage you to take a look at a few excellent websites: AndyBC's blog and his great free Lenormand course, Cartomantes Cabinet (you need to request access); Melissa Hill's Sassy Sibyl site and course, and Note: link removed by moderator - no links to forums please

I've attached a couple of pics for you. :) Have fun!

Attachments

• Piatnik_Gluck_Mertz.jpg
    Piatnik_Gluck_Mertz.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Blue_White_Koenigsfurt.jpg
    Blue_White_Koenigsfurt.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 185

Eeviee

Your choices are good. May also want to consider a great beginner deck -Piatnek- Jeu fde Destin. Beautiful clear illustrations and inserts. IMHO -a must have for beginners.

Thanks for your reply! You are not the first, nor the last, to recommend the Piatnik deck to me! I shall have to look into acquiring one. =]

Eeviee

Hi Eeviee,

I agree that the small size and cheaper prices make the Lenormand decks very attractive. I've found them addictive!

If you're looking for decks that are available through US Amazon, then I think you've chosen well. Although I agree with annie that the Piatnik deck is another good choice. The French Cartomancy is bigger than most Lenormand decks, so I preferred the Piatnik because it's smaller, and I like the backs.

If you're willing to shop at the Book Depository, which also ships for free to the US, you have several other reasonably priced options:

They stock the Blue Owl with playing card inserts (no verses), so unless you just want the verses for the sake of completion, you might prefer this one. You're unlikely to use the verses once you learn your own method of reading the cards, and you or your sitter could find them distracting or contrary to your meanings. (If you want verses but don't want to be distracted by them, and you don't read German, you could try the Red Owl, which is the same as the Blue Owl otherwise.) There is also the brightly colored White Owl (otherwise very similar to the Blue Owl with only a few differences in the actual illustrations), the very nice Koenigsfurt Orakelkarten, and the Lo Scarabeo Lenormand Oracle.

If you'd like to add a minimalist deck to your mix, the TBD also stocks the Bernd A. Mertz deck and the Gluck Wahrsagen Lenormand (this one is the tiniest of them all!).

As for books, there unfortunately aren't many in English out there. Many people like Sylvie's method, and I do have her book and found it interesting. But if you're at all intrigued by the more traditional reading methods, or by the Grand Tableau, then I'd encourage you to take a look at a few excellent websites: AndyBC's blog and his great free Lenormand course, Cartomantes Cabinet (you need to request access); Melissa Hill's Sassy Sibyl site and course, and also Note: link removed by moderator - no links to forums please.

I've attached a couple of pics for you. :) Have fun!

Thank you so much for your reply! These sources are very useful!
And THANK YOU for mentioning the "White Owl" deck to me! I did not even know it was in existence! I am VERY intrigued!

Emily

Also Amazon sell the Blue Owl with English verses, it wasn't available for a long time and I couldn't track it down, the Amazon start selling it just when I'd resigned myself to never getting it.

Eeviee

Also Amazon sell the Blue Owl with English verses, it wasn't available for a long time and I couldn't track it down, the Amazon start selling it just when I'd resigned myself to never getting it.

I actually already placed my order and received my cards days ago. =]
I got the Blue Owl with English verses from Amazon, like you mentioned. x]