Magick with Tarot cards...

DoctorLecter84

It's easily available on amazon. 27 used copies available from $1.10 upwards.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post...only $1.10 upwards? That's a deal.

Alta

It's easily available on amazon. 27 used copies available from $1.10 upwards.
What she said, I used fetchbook. Lots of cheap used copies but it is an excellent book.

RiverRunsDeep

Lots of great advice in this thread! As Tanga has posted, it is great to develop a knowledge of ritual and all the bells and whistles that go with it, but they are not necessities. Imo, the most important parts of magickal work are intention and visualization.

In my own experience, the intention needs to be as specific and focused as possible. I haven't found lengthy, rhyming spells to be of much use. A few key words or a phrase repeated a few times lends the power of laser-beam focus to your intent.

When you do your visualization, make sure you are visualizing the end result. I know your focus is on love spells, but here is a different example: If you were looking for a job, you wouldn't want to see yourself as applying for jobs or waiting for calls to come in. Rather, you'd want to visualize yourself as already doing the job itself and being secure in the knowledge that it belongs to you.

Best of luck with your magickal workings!

DoctorLecter84

Lots of great advice in this thread! As Tanga has posted, it is great to develop a knowledge of ritual and all the bells and whistles that go with it, but they are not necessities. Imo, the most important parts of magickal work are intention and visualization.

In my own experience, the intention needs to be as specific and focused as possible. I haven't found lengthy, rhyming spells to be of much use. A few key words or a phrase repeated a few times lends the power of laser-beam focus to your intent.

When you do your visualization, make sure you are visualizing the end result. I know your focus is on love spells, but here is a different example: If you were looking for a job, you wouldn't want to see yourself as applying for jobs or waiting for calls to come in. Rather, you'd want to visualize yourself as already doing the job itself and being secure in the knowledge that it belongs to you.

Best of luck with your magickal workings!

Thank you for taking time to read and reply to my post.
Visualization is something I need practice with. Which is why I use one of my Magician card to represent me trying to create my own destiny. I use the Princess of Cups to represent the woman of interest as her youthful looks makes me think of that fairy tale princess. With one of my person favorite cards, the Lovers representing relationships, sexuality, and strong, intimate bonds and my top favorite card, the Devil to symbolize that uninhibited passion -- those two cards are my intent and end result. I start with four because I tried six cards last night and I've found it difficult to focus.

Anyhow, I'm babbling. Thank you again for taking time to reply. I appreciate your insight.

Alta

I was reading RiverRunsDeep's post and wanted to add something. About rhyming spells. Experience may vary there but the best magick worker that I have met, and she is effective, tells me that the powers actually respond best to rhymes and/or semi-chants. As I said, experience may vary but at least don't rule them out.

earthair

I was reading RiverRunsDeep's post and wanted to add something. About rhyming spells. Experience may vary there but the best magick worker that I have met, and she is effective, tells me that the powers actually respond best to rhymes and/or semi-chants. As I said, experience may vary but at least don't rule them out.

It works because rhymes and semi-chants are repetition, and repetition of new thoughts breaks old habits. If rhymes are too twee for you then reduce the whole spell to one key word, like a verbal sigil, (there's a proper word for this which I've forgotten, but hopefully someone will know!).

DoctorLecter84

I appreciate the fact that you've taken time to write on this post.
I think Magickal powers are more effective to rhymes and/or semi chants because of the artistic and creative aspect to it -- for some strange reason, it makes me think of poetry, like expressing your feelings, wants in desires in an creative, artistic way.

DoctorLecter84

It works because rhymes and semi-chants are repetition, and repetition of new thoughts breaks old habits. If rhymes are too twee for you then reduce the whole spell to one key word, like a verbal sigil, (there's a proper word for this which I've forgotten, but hopefully someone will know!).

Me, being an artist myself I will sit and write some stuff on paper until I come up with something. By me being in my experimenting stage, I like to try things out and see what works for me and what doesn't. So, my next move will be to try a short rhyme. I say my next move because I don't know if I've already mentioned, but my first attempt tanked, I felt that I've had too many cards, which caused me to lose focus and I was just all over the place. But hey, that what it's all about, learning. And one can't learn anything if he or she is afraid to make a few mistakes.

Tanga

Yes. And I'd say keyword - or phrase.
'Sigil' is not quite the word - as a proper sigil is supposed to be contracted and dummed down so it's unrecognisable. I use written sigils (usually turned into patterns or drawings) - but somehow reciting gibberish (a verbal sigil of some sort :) ) - would just not be my thing.
I don't know if there is a word...

Most of my regular chants have a rhythm, or pattern which makes them easy to remember and recite over. These will be ones for casting a circle, calling the quarters, addressing a particular entity etc. (and I do like the KISS principle - not up for memorising reams of stuff :) ).
e.g. "Sun, moon, stars, infinity, I am that of which I seek.
Lord, Lady, Sacred Androgyne, I am all that which I meet..."

New or one-off spells may not rhyme, but I will make their descriptions short and to the point. Or I may just visualise the end result.
Sometimes - when I'm feeling arty - I might draw the end result, in Tarot form if it takes my fancy (I've drawn myself in a tarot card before now).

And @ DoctorLecter84 - all this writing and drawing goes through a lot of rough trials (and sometimes a bit of quiet swearing) as lots of ripped-up paper is tossed into the bin. :joke: .

Prayers often have a memorable rhythm and cadence too:
"Oh angel of God, my guardian dear - to whom God's love commits me here..."

It's all poetry and art - WAHEY!