Melody's Crystal & Mineral Encyclopedia

photokat

I just ordered this massive book the other day.
YAY!
So excited ... I was always wishing for a big fat Melody book like this with photos.
Does any of you have it?

Hardcover: 976 pages
Publisher: Earth Love Pub House; First edition (January 1, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0962819069
ISBN-13: 978-0962819063
Product Dimensions: 11.8 x 8.8 x 2.3 inches
Shipping Weight: 9.6 pounds

Internationally acclaimed, this Best-Selling Metaphysical Mineralogical Encyclopedia describes over 1400 minerals and crystals illustrated with over 1400 color photographs. This final text in the Love Is in the Earth series and THE Last Testament has been prepared with love JUST FOR YOU by Melody.

This encyclopedia is meant to take the reader on an intimate journey into the subtle realms of crystal energy, assisting one in developing a loving affinity with crystals. The minerals in the photographs have not been enhanced, reflecting them as they are naturally. Many of these minerals have been reported previously in the Love is in the Earth series; within this encyclopedia, all of the new and/or updated information for the old minerals, and all of the new information for the new minerals is reported.

http://www.amazon.com/LOVE-EARTH-Encyclopedia-Fantastic-Testament/dp/0962819069

cardlady22

I really want to see one before I shell out the money. I have her older text-only book and 2 of the pictorial supplements (Kaleidoscopic Z and Mineralogical)

I'm thinking that what I'd prefer to be able to buy is a PDF of the new book's tables/appendices. I don't have the space to lay out a book large enough that people recommend it's own reading stand. Was that a fair comment by that Amazon reviewer?

ETA: Has anyone done a comparison to see exactly how many new stones have been added?

ncharge

I have it. The photos are great! She reduces the amount of text for each type of crystal to make room for the photos, so I haven't thrown out the softback and appendices. And the photos do not show every variation on a stone - for instance, it may show a particular stone in its natural state and you have a polished stone. But, I think it is the best and most comprehensive resource out there for crystals/stones.

Yes, it is huge. It is as large or larger than one of the huge dictionaries you see in libraries. I don't need a stand, though. I just lay it out in front of me in all its glory!

I haven't done a detailed comparison. I will have to do that soon.

kaleanna

I too have this Massive book. It was a Hannakah present.

I have yet to do a comprehensive comparison to see exactly how many new stones have been added but I know I have seen some when going through this massive book.

The pictures are great and It is a desk type encyclopedia book as it is really too large to carry around but with that said, It is an awesome book and I am glad that I have it.

kaleanna

cardlady22 said:
I'm thinking that what I'd prefer to be able to buy is a PDF of the new book's tables/appendices. I don't have the space to lay out a book large enough that people recommend it's own reading stand. Was that a fair comment by that Amazon reviewer?

ETA: Has anyone done a comparison to see exactly how many new stones have been added?

Yes cardlady, that is a fair comment by that amazon reviewer. It does require some space and is why I said it is good as a "desk reference encyclopedia" book.

kaleanna

I just spend the last hour or so going through the table of contents of Melody's text only book vs Her Encyclopedia.

I found that there were 569 "new" stones listed in the encyclopedia that are not listed in the older text only book and I found that there were 11 in the table of contents in the older version that were not in the table of contents in the encyclopedia book.

Hope this helps.

cardlady22

You are a sweetheart! I definitely want to see one now, but buying will have to wait quite a while.

kaleanna

cardlady22 said:
You are a sweetheart! I definitely want to see one now, but buying will have to wait quite a while.
You are quite welcome and it gave me something to focus and concentrate on and it was a welcome distraction!

MsRubyRain

WOW...what a great book!

I have Love Is In The Earth, which I love eh. This will definitely have to wait for a time when I can splurge big time on myself. wtg Photokat!

Mellaenn

Melody has 569 new entries in the new encyclopedia? Well, now with my new crystal mania, this goes on my wishlist!

I have the older version of Melody's book and now I also have 3 or 4 good crystal references, too (The Crystal Bible, Illustrated Directory of Healing Crystals, etc) but I find that more illustrated books I have, the better. I agree with ncharge; it's good to have different views of the stones (e.g. rough vs. tumbled). But to me Melody is the best at describing their metaphysical meanings.