Melvis' Tarot Deck

Melvis

One of the Majors I've completed...the Hermit. (I've only completed 6 cards.) I believe I'd showed this one here in another thread in the Tarot Deck Creation area.

The quote on this one reads:

Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul. Marcus Aurelius

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Melvis

Oops...here it is!

Melvis

Attachments

• hermit.jpg
    hermit.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 136

rota

Melvis: these cards are delightful!

HudsonGray

Melvis, is your Hermit wearing tennis shoes??? LOL!

(Nice juxtaposition--the Stonehenge, desert, Hermit)

Melvis

Hee. Only if N. C. Wyeth painted him that way, HudsonGray! :D I suppose that's one of the reasons that this will always be just a personal/display deck: I don't pay much attention to copyright issues when I use artwork that I like! :rolleyes: Oops.

Peace,

Melvis

P.S. The cards I have done can now be found here.

baba-prague

Melvis,

These are really nice cards. It's good to see them.

Can I ask you a couple of questions:

is there a theme to the deck? (I don't mean theme in a "theme park" sort of way, just any loose idea that is the main impetus behind it)

what are you going to do about copyright? You don't have to answer this (of course) if it's too early days to say. But this whole copyright thing is such a bugbear (and we seem to have a couple of threads going about it) that I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

By the way, I particularly like the Nine of Swords, it creates a real atmosphere :)

Major Tom

Melvis said:
I suppose that's one of the reasons that this will always be just a personal/display deck: I don't pay much attention to copyright issues when I use artwork that I like! :rolleyes: Oops.

That's fine if your deck is only for personal use Melvis, but as soon as you start to display your cards on the internet - you could get yourself in trouble.

Your cards are delightful. :) I would urge you to stick to original work or at least images in the public domain.

Melvis

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! And thanks for the warning, Tom! I will keep that in mind. The only link to that page anywhere, though, is the one in the post above! :) I don't link to it anywhere on my own site, so hopefully I won't get into trouble anytime soon.

(And thanks for giving my deck its own thread. <blush> Awe shucks!)

As far as a theme, so far the only one I have is: Artwork-that-I-Really-Like-That-I've-Collaged-In-Paint-Shop-Pro. When I was first learning tarot and would be looking at an art book of some sort, I would catch myself thinking of a particular Renaissance painting as rather Queen-of-Wands-ish in nature. It followed that if these paintings and sculptures reminded me so strongly of the cards, I should design some cards around them.

Theme-park. Hee. I think we have the beginnings of a whole new thread, there, baba-prague! ;) Can you imagine going on the Devil's Ride through your own personal Hell? :D (Off to start that thread now...)

Peace,

Melvis

Melvis

Okay, so I'll start that Theme Park thread after just one more thing.

HG: On the Hermit I wanted there to be a real sense of time: the shifting sands changing shape in the course of an hour; Stonehenge as a marker of time over the centuries. Eons and seconds and no time at all.

The bird was in the original illustration of the 'hermit' and I almost chopped him out of the picture. I realized that the Hermit goes off by himself in order to gain perspective, which the bird has (at least in physical terms) in abundance from it's lofty position. It reminded me of the story of Merlin and Arthur, when Arthur flew like a bird and Merlin kept questioning him about what he saw until Arthur finally realized that he saw no borders or divisions between one country and another. Perspective!

On the Nine of Swords is a portion of a painting about the crucifiction. (By Botticelli, I think?) The woman on the right is Mary, who has just witnessed her son Jesus being crucified. I thought about how much Mary knew about her son's fate. Did she have any idea how he would meet his end? Even if she didn't, how hard must it have been to watch her son be vilified by the elders of the community his whole life? Even knowing that the strength of God was with her, I'll bet it gave her more than a few sleepless nights.

When I see the painting featured on the Three of Swords, the first thought that always comes to mind is, "tangled up in blue." ;) When you get your heart broken you just want to curl up into a little fetal ball, just like this. I chose to put one sword pointing up to symbolize that there is life after heartbreak, that you can climb up out of the depths of sorrow. Of course you're going to get a little bloody doing it, but someday you'll make it.

I'll be interested to see if I can get anywhere else with the Disks suit by following the start I've made with the Ace. It just seemed to form itself, and when I was done I thought, "Well how am I going to do 9 other minors plus 4 courts like that?" I wanted the Disk suit to be very earthy and nature-themed. We'll see what happens!

The figure on the Death card is from a Diane Arbus photograph. Love her work.

Peace,

Melvis

baba-prague

Nice to hear your thoughts behind the deck.

Please don't take my question about copyright as any implied criticism. It's just that it is often a topic raised in this "creation" area and any new thoughts are always of interest.

We've even been been told on occasions that taking a photo of a scuplture in a public place could infringe copyright - this is of course ridiculous. I think the whole world has gone copyright mad. on the other hand, you can understand an artist wanting to
protect their own images.
Still, Tom is right - as long as the deck is for your own use there is no problem (and why should you limit your creativity?) but if it is ever "published" whatever that means, then you could have a real issue.
It's a shame really. I like many of the images you are using. This will be a lovely deck.