Miss Cleo now being sued by the Feds

AquarianGoddess

The Federal Trade Commission is suing Miss Cleo for fraud. The company is owned by Steven Feder and Peter Slotz. I'm assuming the "Miss Cleo" in the commerical is only a spokeswoman, although authorities are targeting her to prove she's from Jamacia.

AG

Liliana

Yep they are trying to put a ban on her psychic line, no commercials using her until the trial, I hear she called the cops when someone tried to issue a summons, once she found out what it was she acted happy.

Thirteen

Quote:AquarianGoddess (16 Feb, 2002 10:33):
The Federal Trade Commission is suing Miss Cleo for fraud. The company is owned by Steven Feder and Peter Slotz.

Oh, yeah. Don't know about Miss Cleo herself, but dee company dat Miss Cleo she work for, dey in BIG trouble!

See, they lied about giving people that "free" 3 minute reading they keep advertizing. Folk have been calling up for the free reading, but those first three minutes vanish in a question and answer period (when's your birthday, what's you're phone number, etc). To keep people on the phone, "psychics" *lied* about when the free minutes started, so callers *thought* they weren't being charged when they were.

Calls ran $4.99 a minute. Average calls ran upwards of $60 for the unsuspecting caller. Even worse, "psychics" apparently called people back, upward of 10 times a day, leaving messages that "Miss Cleo had had an important dream about them! Call back now!" When callers asked the "psychics" not to be phone at home anymore, the psychics got belligerant.

Nasty stuff.

january

Quote: Even worse, "psychics" apparently called people back, upward of 10 times a day, leaving messages that "Miss Cleo had had an important dream about them! Call back now!" When callers asked the "psychics" not to be phone at home anymore, the psychics got belligerant.

This part really got me, Thirteen. I keep getting spammed by Miss Cleo about an "urgent message about my future". To quote an email -

"I had such a vision about you I nearly dropped my cup of tea! The feeling was so overwhelming I knew I had to urgently contact you about your future. I know you don't get the love you deserve, but I can see that you have a wonderful opportunity and it saddens me to think that you may miss it".

The sad part is wondering how many poor souls and desparate, lonely people take solicitation like this seriously and call for their FREE reading.

Now, don't be lyin' to Miss January, Miss Cleo! I bin seein' da 7 of Swords here, And over dere, baby, da Justice card, it reversed! You know what I'm talkin' 'bout!

~ january

Thirteen

January, you've actually been spammed by Miss Cleo? I've never met anyone who's actually been on Miss Cleo's hit list ;)

january (16 Feb, 2002 11:51):
Quote:
Now, don't be lyin' to Miss January, Miss Cleo! I bin seein' da 7 of Swords here, And over dere, baby, da Justice card, it reversed! You know what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Now you stop that! :-D You gonna have me laughin' all over again.

Pollux

It's fun!!!
The same thing as happened here in Italy, almost.
A very wel-known TV figure - Wanna Marchi, I wonder if you ever heard of her - has been arrested and then thrown into JAIL for fraud too.
Her organization was made up by herself and her *detestable* daughter.
They were together with a Psychis, whose name was Maestro di Vita ("teacher/master of life") Don Najisimiento, looking more like a model than a occultist; he was a fake, in my opinion - I'm no psychic, or at least I don't have definite powers, but I know I'm an anty-psychic certainly, I do uinderstand when there's one around :) ; and I've heard he is claimed to be the former Wanna Marchi's waiter!!!
It was made thanks to a very well known programme - Striscia la Notizia (it means "The News are crawling") - because of the complaints of people who called them for "revenge". They made it with the help of a lady that was their guinea pig - she was one of the cheated too - and played her role majestically!!!

These people would do the same: call saying people had "fatture", a type of popular curses -especially in Naples, were I live - saying the Maestro wanted to help them, butthey had to pay millions and so on.
They made "Happiness Trees" - I don't know how to translate - with IVY stems they had in the gardens behind the agency!
And their test for "fatture" was throwing 0,5 Kg of salt in a Glass of Water: if the salt didn't melt, there was the curse!!!
Anyone possessing the basics of Chemistry (or even the basics of common sense) knows that hardly a spoonful of salt melt in a glass of water, for scientific reasons (i.E. saturation) and a half kilo would never melt!!!

All the same, tons of people bought that.
That Wanna Marchi in the past had a lot of others frauds and she was even sentenced twice... She used to sell Weight-shedding creams, oils, stuff...
There's a saying in Italian that is:
"Il Lupo perde il pelo ma non il vizio"
"The Wolf will lose his fur (i.e. his life) but not his vice"
Really appropriate.

P.S. I've no experience of this Goddamn Miss Cleo, all the same I detest her. Her name's got disgusting vibes to me. :)

tarotbear

My grandfather used to say:

"Money sticks in the hands of Saints, and there are no saints here!"

As soon as Miss Cleo becomes a fading memory, there will be yet another one just like her, taking up the slack.

Scorpion

Sounds about time! Mind you, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was waiting with eager anticipation for her to co-host a show with Jerry Springer (which we do get over here) - so it look as if I'm going to be disappointed, after all.

The only thing I've come across here was an unsolicited mailing purportedly from an elderly French lady (I think it was meant to be), who felt she just "had" to draw some cards for me because it was "important". Apparently, my lover was being unfaithful (shown by the hanged man - believe me, he would be!!!)but I was due to win a six-figure sum (is that meant to be some sort of compensation?!). I could only find out more by signing up for a full ?20 reading. It was all obviously computerised and very badly done - mine went straight in the bin. However, it made me very angry that there are people out there prepared to do this sort of thing for a quick buck - many insecure people would find it deeply distressing and a lot of people would be hooked by the promise of large winnings. It gives all of us trying to give sincere honest readings such a bad name.

Let's hope the Miss Cleo fiasco sends a message to the rest of them.

Thirteen

Much as Miss Cleo's company deserves everything they get, I will miss her commercials. Psychic call lines come and go here; as Tarotbear wisely surmises, the void will be filled within six months. And it'll be the same scam ("Call for a free reading!")

But Miss Cleo in her turban, bangles and fax Jamacian accent was something special. She was so well know she ended up being made fun of in a nation-wide comic strip. I know, sometime in the near future, I'll see a new, psychic hot-line commercial, sigh and say: "You ain't no Miss Cleo!"

Liliana

Hey, there's an aeclectic fundraiser, after Miss Cleo bites the big one lets print out shirts that say "You aint no Miss Cleo!" hehehe

Liliana