Mozart Tarot

Elkhound

An idea came to me for a set of cards based on Mozart. I'm no artist, so I can't design one myself, but if anyone wants to use it, please feel free!

The Fool=Papageno
The Juggler=Figaro
The High Priestess=the Queen of the Night
The High Priest=Sarastro
The Empress=Countess Almaviva
The Tower Struck by Lightning=the Burning Forum from "Clemenzia di Tito"
The Lovers=The cast of 'Cosi Fan Tutte'
The Chariot=the Clock Organ
The Hermit=the Speaker from "Magic Flute"
The Devil=Don Giovanni
Judgment=The Stone Guest
The World=Mozart conducting the orchestra from his fortepiano

I'm not sure what the other Major Arcana cards should be, but you get the idea.

The Court Cards in the Minor Arcana can be various characters from the operas, modeled on well-known opera singers (not full portraits, mind you; but suggestions of.)

baba-prague

Yes. When we saw Amadeus again recently we both said "High Priestess" when we saw the staging of the Queen of the Night.
It would make a good deck - btw, Mozart is our Three of Pentacles in the Tarot of Prague - standing in front of the Estates Theatre here.

For a serious Mozart deck, there would have to be suitable Freemasons references of course. It could be really interesting. Nice idea.

Lady Eclipse

Elkhound said:
An idea came to me for a set of cards based on Mozart. I'm no artist, so I can't design one myself, but if anyone wants to use it, please feel free!

The Fool=Papageno
The Juggler=Figaro
The High Priestess=the Queen of the Night
The High Priest=Sarastro
The Empress=Countess Almaviva
The Tower Struck by Lightning=the Burning Forum from "Clemenzia di Tito"
The Lovers=The cast of 'Cosi Fan Tutte'
The Chariot=the Clock Organ
The Hermit=the Speaker from "Magic Flute"
The Devil=Don Giovanni
Judgment=The Stone Guest
The World=Mozart conducting the orchestra from his fortepiano

I'm not sure what the other Major Arcana cards should be, but you get the idea.

The Court Cards in the Minor Arcana can be various characters from the operas, modeled on well-known opera singers (not full portraits, mind you; but suggestions of.)

Hi Elkhound,

You're right, this is an excellent idea. Why not collaborate with someone artistic to help you? They design the cards and you write the detailed book? I'd love to help you do this but I've got more than enough on my plate at this time.

Joy to you,
Maralee

firemaiden

This is fun, Elkhound. :)

What would Donna Anna be, Queen of swords?

or... would that be Donna Elvira? or maybe Elvira would be the Queen of Wands

Zerlina? She's got to be something in the earth suit.

Leporello too. (e.... Leporello!) hmmmm --

Lets see, lets not forget Entführung aus dem Serail. Blondchen for Temperance? or... is she too mischievous. hmmmm

I think the three of cups needs to be the three conspiring women from Così - Despina, Fiordiligi and Dorabella drinking hot chocolate together.

The love-sick Cherubino from the Magic Flute has to show up as the cherub in the 2 of cups card, or perhaps as the knight or page of cups. (hee hee hee)

Yes, there's plenty of material here for a really lovely deck. I've been thinking of a deck along parallel lines. :D

Elkhound

baba-prague said:
For a serious Mozart deck, there would have to be suitable Freemasons references of course. It could be really interesting. Nice idea.

Well, I'm a Freemason (York Rite) also.

baba-prague

Yes, so I saw from your profile. Well, I'm no expert on Mozart and Freemasonry but I've read a bit. Most of the households he stayed with here in Prague were masonic contacts. It would lend a lot of depth to a deck if that was properly researched and incorporated. There is a book here "Esoteric Prague" that is primarily about Freemasonry in Prague - and has a small section on Mozart. Unfortunately though, a lot of the material is under-researched and quite dubious.

As an aside, I've currently got a beautiful set of old postcards on my desk called "Mozart in Prague". You sometimes see some of them reproduced (they are from 1956 - to mark the 200th anniversary of Don Giovanni's premiere here) - lovely things. We've often wondered how they could be incorporated in some imagery (though there would be some copyright issues of course).

Anyway, perhaps that's enough of Prague, I wonder if anyone wants to add something about Vienna here?