Music with tarot

orczy

Something I have been wondering since I have been visiting this site is the question of music and the tarot.
When I meditate I usually have something playing, likewise for a reading. If I am reading for someone I get them to select the music. I find this helps to get the emotions focused on the question.
For my daily readings I always listen to something.
Here are some of the pieces:Miles Davis-In a Silent way; Brian Eno-Discreet Music; Debussy-Preludes, Book 1

I am really interested if anyone else uses music with the tarot, or conversely, if they feel they can't.

Hoonoki

In the past two months since i picked up the tarot, i find it hard to meditate when there is silence. So yeah, i always make sure something is playing in the background. I don't know if the type of music matters when it comes to readings but i always play rave tracks like Fat Boy Slim.

Kiama

It really depends what mood I'm in as to what music I listen to. When I'm reading a spread, I prefer to to have any music that requires me listening to the words, thus taking my concentration from the cards.

When I meditate, I love Pachelbel's Canon in D, and Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings...

But sometimes when I'm reading and meditating, I'll listen to A Perfect Circle, Papa Roach, Blink 182... It really depends.

Kiama

Jeanette

Sometimes music, sometimes silence (but silence at my house isn't really very silent-kids, pets, farm across the street....) Overall, I prefer something soothing, especially in the evening after a long day. Vivaldi's 4 Seasons can be nice.
Jeanette

orczy

When I meditate, I love Pachelbel's Canon in D, and Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings...

Kiama[/quote]

Barber's Adagio is a beautiful piece, and I have used it before for a reading. Along a similar vein, I can recommend Gorecki "Symphony 3", Mahler "Adagietto from Symphony 5",and Arvo P?rt "Cantus in Memorium for Britten".
I am sure you will like them. All of these are tried and tested for meditation and readings.

Logiatrix

for some reason--the lyrics, perhaps--music by the police and/or sting seems to work very well for me, when i'm playing with my cards. when i'm doing a reading, i prefer the music to be instrumental and not too loud.
enigma, bach, enya, loreena mckennit, robbie robertson, wagner and the music of hildegaard von bingen are some that i'll throw on the player.

New River

i'm only into listening to reggae right now. bob marley's One World just makes me so happy!

oh, and i like the Animaniacs theme song to get me going! it's a cartoon show about annoyingly clever animals. any moms out there know this tune? >grin<

but for reading i like it quiet, not that it is ever truly quiet in our age. nature sounds are ideal.

love, light and hope, New River

orczy

Quote:metaz (06 Oct, 2001 06:28):
, i prefer the music to be instrumental and not too loud.
enigma, bach, enya, loreena mckennit, robbie robertson, wagner and the music of hildegaard von bingen are some that i'll throw on the player.

I have to agree with Wagner, particualrly the preludes to Tristan, Lohengrin, Parsifal.
I too prefer no lyrics, but Gorecki's 3rd Symphony has singing, but it is Polish, so I don't understand it literally, but I understand the emotions.
If you are not aware of this piece I really recommend it to anyone. It is one of the most beautifully sad pieces of music.

seeker_11

I like calm melodical music (without too many words) when I'm reading.
Especially when doing readings for others, I find that this tends to put people at ease.

My favourites are Enya (and other celtic airs), Ennio Morricone, John Williams (especially selected music from Star Wars), Peer Guint Suite, just to name a few.

orczy

Quote:seeker_11 (10 Oct, 2001 15:25):
I like calm melodical music (without too many words) when I'm reading.

My favourites are Enya (and other celtic airs), Ennio Morricone, John Williams (especially selected music from Star Wars), Peer Guint Suite, just to name a few.

I certainly agree with the calm melodic idea. Calm, steady emotionally music is important I feel.