Mystic Dreamer Tarot: 2 of Pentacles

afrosaxon

2 of Pentacles: Woman in a white gown holds two pentacles. Pentacle in the left hand is larger and turned on its side, while pentacle in the right hand is smaller and upright. Both pentacles sparkle, but there is a glow coming from the right one. Superimposed over the right pentacle is a snake unfurling. Two ships are a distance apart over a misty sea; one on left is smaller, but has brighter sails (directly in sunlight?) than boat on the right. The woman is facing the sea, and leaning to the right. A wash of blue is over the pentacles, snake, and full moon in the background. 17 birds in the sky.

I'm not getting a sense of balance in this card...in fact, the woman looks unbalanced, leaning to the right like that.

The hills...emphasizing the roughness of trying to maintain balance? The grass on the hill isn't that green...like old grass, or dying grass. It's not lush.

The 2 of Pents is the only card in this set where the woman is not facing the card, and is a departure from similar cards in other decks. Is she trying to hide her juggling?

What is the snake about? And what's up with that wash of blue? There is too much going on around the pentacle in her right hand, what with the snake, and the glow from the pentacle, and all that.

Thoughts?

T.

meril13

" Keyword summary: strength, protection, rebirth

The snake or serpent is one of the oldest and complex of symbols. The underlying representations throughout the many meanings are paradoxical – part protective, part destructive. It’s a source of strength and power, yet also potentially dangerous.

In Egypt, an upright hooded cobra snake was a powerful protective symbol. It formed the uraeus of diadem of the pharaohs, representing their royal power and ability to strike down any enemies. Egyptians used similar images of a lion-headed snake as a sign of solar guardianship. In India, cobra divinities were also used as symbols of guardians, with a seven-hooded cobra often seen shielding Buddha.

In African and Native American legends snakes are often depicted as ancestor figures, and in magic and some religions, the image of a snake represents the universal life force, and sometimes the creator itself. A more positive snake image is that of the caduceus – the staff of Hermes, which is entwined with snakes. The psychologist Carl Jung adopted the emblem as a representation of homeopathic medicine and it’s still used today.

The shedding of a snake’s skin highlights the notion of life, death and rebirth. According to Native American beliefs, it is the energy of wholeness, the knowledge that all things are equal and the notion that good things do come of bad. It also represents the ability to experience anything without resistance. For individuals, they believe snakes represent the fact that we’re all universal beings. It can also signify the need to transmute thoughts, actions or desires. " (http://www.holisticshop.co.uk/dictionary/snake_serpent.html)

i kind of like this card! it looks magical :) the girl looks like she's calling or summoning the pentacles to herself. initially, before i looked up the snake meaning, the snake felt strong, almost like a guardian.... the ships look like they're floating in the air almost... maybe possible decisions in the future?

the books definition of this card tells of busy times are ahead. multiple things will be going on in your life and you'll have to try and find a balance it in all... er well thats the shortened version :)

Alan Ross

meril13 said:
The snake or serpent is one of the oldest and complex of symbols. The underlying representations throughout the many meanings are paradoxical – part protective, part destructive. It’s a source of strength and power, yet also potentially dangerous.

One common symbolic trait associated with snakes is wisdom. The only other snake I could find after a quick perusal through the deck is the snake-headed staff of the Hermit, which to me suggests that wisdom is the symbolism intended in this deck. In the Two of Pentacles, I believe the snake would signify the importance of judging wisely when attempting to maintain equilibrium in one's affairs.

afrosaxon said:
I'm not getting a sense of balance in this card...in fact, the woman looks unbalanced, leaning to the right like that.
Think of a tightrope walker (the Robin Wood Two of Pentacles has always been my favorite version of this card). When a tightrope walker finds herself losing her balance to the left, she leans right to compensate and maintain her balance. Now look at the two ships in the background. The one on the left is in turbulent waters, while the one on the right looks to me like it's sailing in calm waters. The woman is leaning and tilting her pentacles in the direction of the ship in calm waters and away from the ship in turbulent waters. In other words, she's leaning in the direction of stability and equilibrium and away from instability and disequilibrium.

Alan

Eliza

I'm going to go way out on a limb here. It looks to me like the woman isn't juggling at all. Rather, she is acting as a beacon or lighthouse for the two boats. It feels almost like sending Morse Code with signal flags. Something in the angle of her head and body tells me she is signaling more to the left boat, which seems to be in rougher waters.

The balancing act, then, is 3-way. The woman is the fulcrum, the boats need to maintain the equilibrium, or sink.

I like the roughness all around - land, sky, ocean - while she herself seems calm and intent.

The snake? No idea.