Nature-based spirituality

rainboweve

Hi all, I suppose I just wanted to share a bit about my journey on my personal path. Basically I've just realized that I've been on the path of a nature-based spirituality all along. I would also to love to hear anyone's experiences in finding peace in/with nature, whether or not it's a religion that has a label or just your personal path. :)

Over the years I've found that the natural energies seem to be what resonate most with me, on a deeper, spiritual level. This is especially true of water. Water calms me and is so soothing, as well as cleanses me both spiritually and physically. I am especially drawn to places of water in nature, whether that be the ocean, lakes, rivers, etc. Water is also a very strong presence in my dreams when there's something amiss in waking life, to the point that these water dreams tend to be reoccurring.

More recently I've been doing some spiritual work with crystals, and feel a strong connection to something outside myself while working with them. I was thinking about the four elements today and realized that crystals is working with gifts from earth, the earth element. So I started thinking that perhaps I've finally found the spiritual path that speaks to me, that of nature.

This may sound strange, but - it does get VERY hot where I live, usually starting in late April/early May and lasting until late October or even early November. But what I wanted to say is that whenever I'd be out and about, whether that be walking around the shops in the heat of the day or running laps back in high school for the PE classes and a breeze started up, I would always thank ... someone/something? ... basically I would just give thanks, for this wonderful breeze that was helping to cool me off on such a hot day. At the time, I didn't even know who I was thanking - but now I realize that it must have been me thanking the breeze itself, the air element. I truly do feel blessed to have a nice breeze kick up when the weather is in the 100's for weeks on end.

Interestingly I'm not sure how well I can relate with the fire element, besides loving the sun and the light and warmth it provides. I'm one of those people would rather be awake during the day than at night, as the day feels safer to me - even if I'm just sitting at home. I'm a bit wary of fire in the usual sense, but I have some thoughts on that for another thread. :)

I just wanted to share my thoughts, on realizing that I've finally found peace. For many years it felt like I was grasping at straws? not sure if that's the right expression, when it came to religion. I wanted to believe in/find peace with something, but nothing seemed quite right for me. It's nice to have finally realized what truly resonates with me. :)

Tychis

It's always amazing - and the best feeling, to find that which you're truly drawn towards - the things or beliefs which are really a part of your soul. Congratulations! :D

I also love water, though my wife is more connected with nature and animal spiritualism than I am. I really prefer the sea side and a clean, healthy lake though - it feels very natural.

Enjoy your newfound discoveries, and expect this to take you on new adventures to seek out a home (not just the structure, but the locale) that truly puts you at peace! If you aren't already there, that is ;)

celticnoodle

lovely thread, rainboweve. My husband and I also love the water, too--and all of nature. We have a home on the river that feeds into two of the Finger Lakes in NY, so we are also just a very short distance to the Lakes. I also love trees, mountains and all wildlife.

Luckily, our newest home on the River also has a nice small plot of heavily wooded area--and more wooded areas not quite as heavy--are around us on the other sides too, so that we feel very secluded from the rest of town, though neighbors are close by.

The woods are enough to house deer, geese, raccoons, ground hogs and more. We see them in our yard a lot and love to watch them. Being on the river also opens us up to more wildlife--man birds-specifically herons and osprey and then of course turtles, snakes and a bullfrog or two that live in our rock wall up against the river. :D

We love to sit still and quietly on the dock or our front porch that looks out onto the river to watch the wildlife. Its extremely peaceful and wonderful. We also have a creek on our other property, which we refer to as "the farmhouse". It use to be a farm until the 1960 or 70s. we get alot of wildlife there too-mostly deer, turkey, raccoons, fox and bear has been spotted in our area, but we have not seen any bears. (Not sure if I am happy or not about that!). We use to live in VT--and that was truly the most beautiful state I've ever been in. We'd often see Moose, in addition to other wildlife-but the Moose...well something very special about seeing them. So majestic!

I love nature as does the hubby. I swear there are times when I can feel the trees breathing. So relaxing and I like to 'hug' trees. I've always been drawn to trees specifically. Love the woods--the color green---and find all this very calming and relaxing.

I second Tychis in wishing you joy in your new found spiritual pursuit. May your journey be ever rewarding, fun and inspiring! :heart:

rainboweve

It's always amazing - and the best feeling, to find that which you're truly drawn towards - the things or beliefs which are really a part of your soul. Congratulations! :D

I also love water, though my wife is more connected with nature and animal spiritualism than I am. I really prefer the sea side and a clean, healthy lake though - it feels very natural.

Enjoy your newfound discoveries, and expect this to take you on new adventures to seek out a home (not just the structure, but the locale) that truly puts you at peace! If you aren't already there, that is ;)

Thank you so much Tychis! I've been realizing a lot more about myself lately now that I've taken the time to think more about what speaks to me... and I've realized that many things I abandoned for quite some time, (such as tarot,) truly do nourish my soul. So it was really pleasant to realize I also need to get to back to nature. :)

Lately I feel like I've been connecting to the planet as a whole, which is interesting. Out of curiosity, do you care to elaborate more on your wife's animal spiritualism? I do love animals and am curious as to how animal spiritualism might resonate with me as well.

And thank you for the well wishes! :) For now I'm thinking I need to add some water features around the house, as I live quite far from any actual bodies of water :laugh: but perhaps a little fountain or two could help.

Michellehihi

Here is a Philipines poem:

I asked the tree
Tell me about God
And
It blossomed.

rainboweve

We love to sit still and quietly on the dock or our front porch that looks out onto the river to watch the wildlife. Its extremely peaceful and wonderful.

I love nature as does the hubby. I swear there are times when I can feel the trees breathing. So relaxing and I like to 'hug' trees. I've always been drawn to trees specifically. Love the woods--the color green---and find all this very calming and relaxing.

I second Tychis in wishing you joy in your new found spiritual pursuit. May your journey be ever rewarding, fun and inspiring! :heart:

celticnoodle, sitting out and looking out on to the river sounds wonderful! Very relaxing and peaceful.

About the trees breathing - I thought I was the only one! :laugh: I've always felt that trees, flowers, and other plants really have a sort of voice, if one only listens. Looking back on things I seemed to be more connected to nature as a child, but lost that connection as I got older. It's very nice to have finally rediscovered it.

And thank you for the well wishes as well! :heart: So far it has been a very wonderful journey and I'm glad to know there are those who can relate. :)

rainboweve

Here is a Philipines poem:

I asked the tree
Tell me about God
And
It blossomed.

Thank you so much, Michellehihi, for sharing such a beautiful poem. :heart: I'm going to write this down for future inspiration and to think on during meditation. :)

celticnoodle

celticnoodle, sitting out and looking out on to the river sounds wonderful! Very relaxing and peaceful.

About the trees breathing - I thought I was the only one! :laugh: I've always felt that trees, flowers, and other plants really have a sort of voice, if one only listens. Looking back on things I seemed to be more connected to nature as a child, but lost that connection as I got older. It's very nice to have finally rediscovered it.

And thank you for the well wishes as well! :heart: So far it has been a very wonderful journey and I'm glad to know there are those who can relate. :)
Oh yes, all the plants--trees, flowers, even grass all have a voice, as you say. I try to "listen" to the plants we have around us--both those we plant ourselves and the ones that are around us. Sometimes when I notice a plant is not doing well--I'll put a crystal into their soil to help them out and it seems to work. :D Though, I don't have a lot of potted plants right now in our home--the ones we do have all have a name and I talk to them all the time, as well. :)

Yes, I think I was always connected to nature too--even as a child. When I was 3yrs old, I had a "Made believe" friend (so my parents said was make believe) who lived in the trees. I remember playing with her a lot--but my parents insisted it was a made up friend. I often wonder now. you know what I mean?

sweetcherise13

I wanted to thank you too rainboweve, for starting this beautiful discussion! I awoke this morning to seeing a thunderstorm coming. As I watch in awe of the magnificence of it all, I came across this thread. :)

I have been a nature-lover, tree-hugging person my whole life. I adore how you explain your connection to the elements and I can totally relate!

CN, I love how you describe your farmhouse and all the beauty it offers. Ever since I left my home of birth I have missed being so close to nature. Growing up on a farm with the nearest town being 10 miles away really did help shape who I am in the most amazing ways. In my adult life I've been "urbanized", but always dream about going back to my roots.

Michellehihi, thank you so much for sharing that touching poem. I too will be writing that down. :thumbsup:

Now, I must get back to watching the storm.