New member intro - deck in progress

joanna-gaian

Hello everyone,

HudsonGray invited me to join you a few weeks ago, and I finally made it. It's pretty exciting to read about all these decks being created. I love seeing how the Tarot adapts to so many different ideas and themes. (the Ferret Tarot??? Very cool!)

I'm a big fan of the Mary-El Tarot, Tarot of the Crone and the Ironwing Tarot. I really love seeing the individual personalities of these decks.

I'm a lot more interested in Tarot art and deck creation these days than in doing readings or even Tarot history, so I guess this forum is a good place for me.

I have a deck in progress too, called Gaian Tarot -- I work in colored pencil after first working out my composition in digital collage. I posted a piece about my creative process on my site at www.gaiantarot.com/process.html, which some of you may find interesting. I'm also keeping an Artist's Journal/Blog, which is accessible at www.gaiantarot.com/journal/ -- it might also be of interest to other deck creators.

Looking forward to the conversation on this board!

Blessings,
Joanna

Le_Corsair

Pretty deck!

I think you'll like it here, and I welcome you to Aeclectic. Be sure and introduce yourself in the New Members forum so everyone can say hi! Or, maybe they'll all say hi here, instead! :)

The deck looks good so far! My soul card is the Hermit, and it was nice to see a Barred owl in the image; there was one hooting around here last night; here in North Carolina, they call the barred owl "a good southern owl" because his call is who-cooks-for-you, who-cooks-for-YOU-all! :laugh:

Enjoy your time here! You'll probably like the deck creator's forum, lots of good people there very willing to help you in any way that they can!

Bob :THERM

baba-prague

Hi - and welcome!

I can't get the link to work - a shame as now I want to see the Barred Owl (I really like owls).

Anyway, I'll try again - maybe the problem is the electrical storm we keep hearing about? Looking forward to seeing your cards.

edited to say - hey, now it works! Oh - really nice cards too! Thanks for taking part here. It's really good to see these. I realise too that I've actually seen some before - but I can't remember where (maybe via Beltane Papers?) Anyway, gorgeous SUN - I love her!

The journal is a great idea. Especially if you're thinking about doing a companion book, a journal really helps to get the material (and thoughts) together :)

rota

Wonderful images! Thanks for posting the link. It's great to see images thought through as thoroughly as you're doing.

Sulis

joanna I'm really pleased you've decided to join us on Aeclectic. I've had your site in my favorites list for ages. I Love your cards.

Love and lgiht

Sulis xx

joanna-gaian

Thanks for the welcome!

Bob, glad you liked the barred owl in my Hermit card - I've never heard of the "who cooks for you, who cooks for YOU all" bit - very funny - I bet that will help me remember the call!

Baba-Prague, I've just barely begun to look at your beautiful cards online. I really like your technique and would like to hear more about how you did the artwork - a combination of digital photos and work in Photoshop?

My Strength card appeared on a SageWoman cover last year and a couple of the others are in SageWoman calendars. The Moon with its commentary appeared in a SW issue last year too. They haven't been in the Beltane Papers, but I do have a connection to TBP - I was the Managing Editor from '92 thru '96.

Yes I am really enjoying the journal. I have kept a Tarot journal for years and have copious notes on all the cards I've created so far. But I have to admit, the online journal/blog is quite a lot of fun, especially when people write back to me with responses.

I do plan on writing a companion book. It's pretty nearly writing itself!

Rota, thanks for your comment. I have been working on the concepts for the cards for a long time. It's a nice balance of conscious left-brain work and intuitive right brain work. I'm always pretty amazed when people see things in the images that I didn't put there consciously. I've also planned out all the minors. Now if I could just work 10 hours a day every day on the deck it might get done a little faster!

Sulis, thanks so much for your kind words. Very nice to meet you here!

Blessings on All Souls Day,
Joanna

Major Tom

Welcome to the community. :)

I really like your deck in progress. It's readily apparent you've put a lot of yourself into your work. It make me wonder if you have experience of any of the effects discussed in this thread?

Thank you for sharing your work with us. Please keep us up to date regarding your progress.

baba-prague

"Baba-Prague, I've just barely begun to look at your beautiful cards online. I really like your technique and would like to hear more about how you did the artwork - a combination of digital photos and work in Photoshop? "

Yes, we did all the photography ourselves and then used a mixture of techniques, principally Photoshop. There was a slightly heated discussion on another thread about this (!) because it can be hard for people to understand really what they are seeing - particularly without seeing the actual cards. Basically we try to avoid using Photoshop to create "effects" (I like the fact that you also don't use a lot of "computery" graphic effects). I'm not trying to criticise people who use it this way (the results can be stunning), but it just isn't our style. We use it much more simply to draw - a lot of our "technique" depends on the fact that Alex has 13 years of good old-fashioned Russian art training (the system there used to start when people were young, and it was very technical - they studied a lot of historical methods and so on).

We don't want people to see the Photoshop at the end - we want them to seamlessly see the image. So in a card like our Moon the central figure is actually put together from three statues, with a lot of drawing. But it looks natural - as though we simply photographed something that exists. In a way, we are trying to create dream worlds - mixing things that could exist in ways that are a mix and merge of realities. The problem is that it's an incredibly time-consuming way to do things - but I think we just have to accept that.

So - your site is actually really good in the way it shows how you did your cards (I like that a lot) but please can you tell us more? It also looks to me like painstaking work :)

By the way, I started a separate thread here on technique/concept. Personally, I can't help wanting to see decks that are well thought-out AND well executed (and yours looks as though it will certainly be both - which is great). But I know some people see one or the other as more crucial, which I why I started the thread. Feel free to join in in you have any time!

Marie

Hi Joanna!

Good to see you here!
You have a lot of new cards on your website I hadn't seen yet, they are beautiful. It's not hard to predict what a success your deck will be when done...
One of the things that really caught my eye was the sparrows on the Fool card. I am putting sparrows in a painting I am working on, but it is more because they are something I *saw* there than for any specific reason, that I know of yet anyway (have yet to delve the depths of my psyche to see why sparrows were tucked away there). I was curious about why you chose them?

Welcome!
Marie
(Mary-el tarot)

joanna-gaian

I really like your deck in progress. It's readily apparent you've put a lot of yourself into your work. It make me wonder if you have experience of any of the effects discussed in this thread?

Thanks for the welcome, Major Tom!

I haven't had a chance to read through the thread you mention, but I will and post some thoughts there. Thanks for pointing it out.

baba-prague wrote:
So in a card like our Moon the central figure is actually put together from three statues, with a lot of drawing. But it looks natural - as though we simply photographed something that exists. In a way, we are trying to create dream worlds - mixing things that could exist in ways that are a mix and merge of realities. The problem is that it's an incredibly time-consuming way to do things - but I think we just have to accept that.

I know about time-consuming techniques! LOL . . . but the outcome is worth it. I find the description of your part-Photoshop, part traditional drawing to be extremely interesting and I think you've suceeded at the dreamtime mix of this reality and the Otherworld. I can see I'm going to have to order a deck. :)

I would love to see a step-by-step description of your technique, if that's something you'd be willing to share.

So - your site is actually really good in the way it shows how you did your cards (I like that a lot) but please can you tell us more? It also looks to me like painstaking work :)

It is definitely painstaking work. I learned this technique as a method of doing portraits. Faces, expressions, hands, gestures are still the most interesting thing to me about making art. I have a step-by-step colored pencil "portrait in progress" on my other website here: http://www.jpc-artworks.com/gallery/portraits/norabud.html

Is that what you are interested in, the nitty gritty of doing the CP artwork? Up to that point, it's pretty much as I say on the GT site -- I take the main reference photos, gather together other reference material, build a digital collage in Photoshop - which is usually pretty rough and not for public consumption! - print it out, make a line drawing based on it, and start the colored pencil work from there.

Thanks for inviting me to take part in the other thread -- interesting stuff!