New To Tarot.. Having Difficulties.

Yarnie

New2:

I got started in tarot back in April or May 2001 and have found the learning method/course at the following website to be invaluable! It may look daunting, but work your way through all the links and you'll find yourself well on your way. There's a good method of journaling there that will help with setting the card meanings into your mind.

http://www.geocities.com/churchoftarot/tarot/index.html

Good luck!

MeeWah

New2: Everyone learns in a different way & at a different pace. Do not compare yourself with anyone else as that is self-defeating & has no place in the learning process! There is no short-cut nor sure-fire way to quickly assimilate Tarot, but once you do get started, you might surprise yourself. Even the more seasoned Tarot afficionados do not stop learning.
Consider putting readings aside until you have some basic understanding of the cards, or you will only frustrate yourself in trying to run before knowing how to walk.
One way to begin to learn is to pull a daily card. Be expectant that it will be appropriate for the day. Take a good look the card. Look up its meaning in a book or more than one book, if you are so inclined. Record any impressions you get, whether it's something from the card itself such as the image, an object, color; a feeling or even a stray thought. Try not to be critical of what comes to you, even if it makes no sense--you are trying to establish a link with your subconscious here so do not pre-empt your intuition. If you do not get any ideas, use a book meaning & leave it until later in the day, or until the end of your day. At that time, review the day's events, people, thoughts, etc & see how they compare with the book meaning. At this point, you may not see anything remotely resembling the card's energy, but do not worry about it! The idea is to be relaxed & to be open. Trying too hard or getting stressed will only shut you down.
I also recommend learning the basic meanings of numbers 0 through 10. All Tarot books have some basic information about numbers. Understanding the numbers will give you better points of reference with regard to the cards themselves, particularly with the Major Arcana & the minors.
The Majors are symbolic of conceptual life lessons; the minors are the elemental aspects of the Majors. The minors give the details, tell the story behind the concepts or principles. You can leave the court cards for after you are better acquainted with the rest of the deck as those may refer to either people or situations. Or treat them as you would any other card, refer to a book meaning & then follow through as the other cards.
Give yourself a few weeks of this exercise, before trying a small spread. Such as a 3-Card Past, Present, Future; or Body, Mind, Spirit to see what results you garner.
Reading Tarot books can be of some help; however, it is in the hands-on technique that you develop a relationship with your cards & prompt your mental & intuitive processes to respond.
Keep us posted & good fortune to you!

Jane

Hi,

Well I'll just throw my chunk-a-change in the pot. Take it for whatever you think it might be worth.

First of all if you like the Thoth deck go for it. I've seen a lot of stuff that says beginners shouldn't try Thoth, but I say pppfffftttt! ;)

I started with Thoth as a beginner and no matter how many other decks I collect or may like, I still find it one of the most beautiful and useful decks out there.

Second, they are just cards. I know people have different beliefs about cleansing and energies and whatnot, but they are just pieces of cardboard with pretty pictures on them. The rest is all in your mind. The ideas represented with the pictures can give you a different viewpoint or insight into what you already know. I don't think the cards tell us anything that we don't already know. They just point things out that we're not paying attention to.

Now that I've said that, I will say find your own little rituals or whatever works for you. Light a candle, take deep breaths and clear your mind or whatever you feel works for you.

Lastly, relax and have some fun with them. We tend to learn better at play than when we get uptight about failing to memorize all that stuff. I personally have not found tarot a particularly easy subject to learn, it is complex by it's very nature. You don't have to know it all today, or tomorrow, or next week. I've found that just when I think I'll never understand this, something clicks and I have what I call my (aha!) moments. That gets me excited to keep with it and learn more.

Read a variety of sources, but read skeptically. Make up your own mind about 'what it all means'.

Practice and Patience is my advice.

Have fun,
Jane

Smalloli

I also recommend going to the site
www.learntarot.com

i even printed the whole of the exercises
hahha ( it's took a lot of paper by the way. i only did it coz i thought (and still think) it's worth it, because i love tarot)

I'm sorry if i'm a bit straight... you've got the most common misconception of reading the tarot (if that made sense). when i started having interest in it. i thought i was going to read the future. HA! nothing does that (maybe some so called psychics...) but soon i found out it's not about knowing the future, it's about how it'll help you cope with situation at hand. (some people may have different opinion. the statement i just made does not accurately reflect what i want to say).

I started taking up interest 5 years ago. I must say i am a LAZY learner because I'm still learning what every card meant! especially when i finally actually brought a tarot deck half a year ago. (i was using photocopied black and white pictures paste on cardboard before, the rider-waite deck) I read through every meaning, symbolism on the cards. but didn't memorise it exactly because that will not be the point of tarot. when i read through the description. i kept the ones taht made sense to me, and put aside in my mind the ones that don't really make sense.

Now i brought a deck that's got totally different minor cards meaning... gotta learn all over again. ha!

i've practiced (very sparsely for the last 4 years) from spreading for myself. and keeping the journal. (my journal don't have much entries, i only have like 10). and seeing if something works. or if others i've misinterpreted my cards (i used the celtic-cross spread, THE most common)

i was suprise how accurate my readings where ( not totally, but somehow. I did a reading on if i will fail my midsemester exam. Ha! it told me that i would, but i don't deserve it, heheh. which i really believe)

now, i try to do a 3 card reading every day. that reflects how my day would be.

last week. i had a spread that went

princess wand, queen cup, prince of something..

i was like. WHAT?! becuase the chances of actually getting court cards in all three cards for me was pretty low. yet i know they were people. and queen of cups was me (i'm emotional, and scorpio)

the next day. while i was walking with my sister and a male friend of mine, i suddenly rememberred my cards and yelled out "oh my god" in the middle of the street. That really supprised me. (considering in only started talking my journal 2 weeks ago)

what i do is, i take three cards, one for morning, one for afternoon, one for night (of course, the case mentioned above was an exception coz i knew it was inter-related) and right down what i think first, then the next day, i write what i think the cards are telling me, after going through with the day.

with practice, you're cards will talk to you ( of course not literally, i'm still waiting for that day . hahha)

I find myself going to the cards for advice when i have a serious problem. people often think that the cards will tell you what will happen now that a problem have started. I go to the cards because i know it will not really tell me what will happen, but what i need to do. in a way, i keep thinking that it's trying to tell you what you already know, but that you won't admit it, =D)

hope this will help ...

long read. sories for that.. i'd never thought i'd write so much on it.

tiger lily
31 Aug 2001

New2Tarot wrote:

"I'm only half-way through the first (Complete Idiot's Guide...) and so far it's been pretty ilusive and useless as well.. "The cards mean whatever YOU want them to mean." "It's all about YOU ... the cards reflect what YOU feel..." How is that supposed to help me learn the meanings so I can understand spreads? It's starting to get better, I'm on the 8th chapter and it's starting to begin to explain the cards.

But when I watch Miss Cleo on late-night TV, she is amazing at reading the cards and actually getting something meaningful from them. She can tell that certain people are being represented by the cards, and certain time frames for events.. she can see what represents marriage and birth. Meanwhile the book portrays Tarot to be a meditative, self-help type therapy thing. They're meant to be prophetic not something to do to understand something you already know or to use to relax."

My reply:

Well, you?re asking some interesting questions... first, why do you think the cards are *meant* to be predictive? Originally they were meant to play a card *game*, "Tarocchi" (I believe there are even the rules for it online). It was *much* later that the occultists discovered them and wrote some highly speculative theories about their origin and their "original use". According to them, Tarot originated in Atlantis or Egypt or who knows where. The cards are what you want them to be. Period.

You wrote:

"But when I watch Miss Cleo on late-night TV, she is amazing at reading the cards and actually getting something meaningful from them."

I don?t think that events and time frames are more meaningful than to know yourself, but that?s just my opinion. But suppose I could do what Miss Cleo pretends to do: know the future. Suppose I would know the consequences of every action I consider:

I would live and die some day and my life would mean absolutely *nothing*: because I wouldn?t have learned a single thing in my life. I wouldn?t have grown a bit. I would just have taken the easiest road, the one without mistakes and disappointments and without tears. Fine, so what? What life is this, existing only at the surface?

"Why didn?t you marry Fred?" - "Oh, it wouldn?t have worked. The cards told me." Yes, but while the marriage didn?t work out, I would have learned such things as standing up for the things I believe in; moving out, starting my own business, something I?d never have done if I hadn?t been so desperate to escape this marriage with Fred... etc.

You see, even painful events (and I?ve had my share of them, I know what I?m talking about) have value. Because they force you to leave your comfort zone, go beyond your limits, discover new things about yourself.

And so on. I don?t want to forsee the future. I like surprises. And I like to gain experience, which is the only thing I can take with me when I die. If you give a child a math homework and give him the sheet with the solutions, too, this kid will learn to copy, but it won?t learn math.

and you wrote:

"I want to be able to shock people at parties with revelations like others have to me at parties.. I feel like I'm missing out."

I won?t bore you with another sermon about the shocking value of Tarot ;-)... but if you could read the cards with absolute accuracy about the future, you wouldn?t be a just party magnet very long; soon people would *depend* on your skills. The?d expect you to decide for them, to lead their lives (and, knowing human nature, you?d get the calls at 3 a.m. to solve such profound problems like: what should I cook tomorrow... ;-p). Knowledge is power, absolute knowledge is absolute power ... and with power comes responsibility. I wouldn?t want to be in your shoes!

Talisman
31 Aug 2001

tigerlily,

So well said.

Talisman

Logiatrix
31 Aug 2001

new2,
may i suggest that you go ahead and get the thoth deck and also invest in "tarot basics," by burger & fiebig. this book provides very concise card meanings with side-by-side illustrated comparisons between the RWS, thoth and marseilles decks.
this may offer a compromise for you, so that you will still be able to work with the thoth that you prefer, while also gleaning important knowledge from the RWS. i do believe that you should be working with a deck that appeals to you.
the only way i know how to learn the cards is by much study (lots of notes, journaling and reading) and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
please give that book a try--it's very economical, by the way (about $10).
blessings...

The New To Tarot.. Having Difficulties. thread was originally posted on 29 Aug 2001 in the Talking Tarot board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Talking Tarot, or read more archived threads.

tiger lily

New2Tarot wrote:

"I'm only half-way through the first (Complete Idiot's Guide...) and so far it's been pretty ilusive and useless as well.. "The cards mean whatever YOU want them to mean." "It's all about YOU ... the cards reflect what YOU feel..." How is that supposed to help me learn the meanings so I can understand spreads? It's starting to get better, I'm on the 8th chapter and it's starting to begin to explain the cards.

But when I watch Miss Cleo on late-night TV, she is amazing at reading the cards and actually getting something meaningful from them. She can tell that certain people are being represented by the cards, and certain time frames for events.. she can see what represents marriage and birth. Meanwhile the book portrays Tarot to be a meditative, self-help type therapy thing. They're meant to be prophetic not something to do to understand something you already know or to use to relax."

My reply:

Well, you?re asking some interesting questions... first, why do you think the cards are *meant* to be predictive? Originally they were meant to play a card *game*, "Tarocchi" (I believe there are even the rules for it online). It was *much* later that the occultists discovered them and wrote some highly speculative theories about their origin and their "original use". According to them, Tarot originated in Atlantis or Egypt or who knows where. The cards are what you want them to be. Period.

You wrote:

"But when I watch Miss Cleo on late-night TV, she is amazing at reading the cards and actually getting something meaningful from them."

I don?t think that events and time frames are more meaningful than to know yourself, but that?s just my opinion. But suppose I could do what Miss Cleo pretends to do: know the future. Suppose I would know the consequences of every action I consider:

I would live and die some day and my life would mean absolutely *nothing*: because I wouldn?t have learned a single thing in my life. I wouldn?t have grown a bit. I would just have taken the easiest road, the one without mistakes and disappointments and without tears. Fine, so what? What life is this, existing only at the surface?

"Why didn?t you marry Fred?" - "Oh, it wouldn?t have worked. The cards told me." Yes, but while the marriage didn?t work out, I would have learned such things as standing up for the things I believe in; moving out, starting my own business, something I?d never have done if I hadn?t been so desperate to escape this marriage with Fred... etc.

You see, even painful events (and I?ve had my share of them, I know what I?m talking about) have value. Because they force you to leave your comfort zone, go beyond your limits, discover new things about yourself.

And so on. I don?t want to forsee the future. I like surprises. And I like to gain experience, which is the only thing I can take with me when I die. If you give a child a math homework and give him the sheet with the solutions, too, this kid will learn to copy, but it won?t learn math.

and you wrote:

"I want to be able to shock people at parties with revelations like others have to me at parties.. I feel like I'm missing out."

I won?t bore you with another sermon about the shocking value of Tarot ;-)... but if you could read the cards with absolute accuracy about the future, you wouldn?t be a just party magnet very long; soon people would *depend* on your skills. The?d expect you to decide for them, to lead their lives (and, knowing human nature, you?d get the calls at 3 a.m. to solve such profound problems like: what should I cook tomorrow... ;-p). Knowledge is power, absolute knowledge is absolute power ... and with power comes responsibility. I wouldn?t want to be in your shoes!

Talisman

tigerlily,

So well said.

Talisman

Logiatrix

new2,
may i suggest that you go ahead and get the thoth deck and also invest in "tarot basics," by burger & fiebig. this book provides very concise card meanings with side-by-side illustrated comparisons between the RWS, thoth and marseilles decks.
this may offer a compromise for you, so that you will still be able to work with the thoth that you prefer, while also gleaning important knowledge from the RWS. i do believe that you should be working with a deck that appeals to you.
the only way i know how to learn the cards is by much study (lots of notes, journaling and reading) and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
please give that book a try--it's very economical, by the way (about $10).
blessings...