New2Tarot: Still having problems (Sorry! Y. that was a Major Mistake!)

Thirteen

Well, I AM new to these boards! I read through the thread, decide to respond to it, opened it again briefly--and got thrown to the 2nd page without realizing it! So the first name I read was Y's, so I thought SHE had posted the question.

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, and if there's a moderator, could you please erase that first post of mine? Here's the post again, addressed to the RIGHT person!

Read your "New To Tarot" post and thought I'd start a fresh thread first, because I'm new to the boards and have come into this discussion late, and also because I didn't know if you're still with us or threw in the towel

I've taught some Tarot classes, so I think I can advise you here. Books that tell you to visualize, or make up meanings are frustrating and not very good BEGINNERS books. They're right, in that, in the end, it will be up to you to make up the meaning. But they're wrong, too. At a very, very basic level, there are some agreed upon meanings to the cards, and even if there weren't, you, as a beginner, need a foundation.

There are two things you need to do: (1) memorize the cards in order. All Major Arcana, but most especially 0-10 (Fool-Wheel of Fortune). Familize yourself with the minor arcana, but, for now, don't worry about the court cards. They're difficult to interpet even for us pros. (2) Get this book:

How to read the Tarot: The Key Word System--by Sylvia Abraham

It's for beginners only. It will help you remember meanings and see the connections between cards very fast. Once you've got that foundation, you can grow in any direction you wish.

Take note that this system uses RW cards. I think you should still get Thoth if you're drawn to that deck, but don't use it until you're comfortable with the very basic meanings of the cards. THEN take a look at your Thoth deck. Get the book on them and read it with cards in hand. I think you'll start to understand what "making up your own meaning" means by then

tarotbear

Meewah asked me to re-reply to this post, so I'm trying to remember my exact reply!

Yes, I agree that beginners need definate, concise information - that the statement/idea that ' a card means whatever it means to you' or 'what you see in a card is what it means' are no way to teach a beginner! Beginner's need HELP, ASSURANCE, and also EXPLANATIONS.

Currently, I am reading a book I purchased over two years ago(!!!!!!!) - "The Sacred Tarot Unveiled" by Allyson. It says it is a 'workbook' - what that means is there is a lined page at the end of the chapters to make your own notes. Appropos of this thread, she talks about her 'system' for reading reversed cards and explains that one of her students was a seasoned card reader- and this student was astounded at the simple way Allyson used to read reversals! DOES SHE TELL US WHAT IT IS? Not really - she describes 8-10 cards to us, then says *ahem* "You can figure the rest out yourself". Isn't that a great thing to tell a raw beginner? ??? ??? ???

The jury is still out on this book. Will review it when I'm done reading it.

Thirteen

Quote:tarotbear (25 Sep, 2001 07:47):
Currently, I am reading a book I purchased over two years ago(!!!!!!!) - "The Sacred Tarot Unveiled" by Allyson. It says it is a 'workbook' - what that means is there is a lined page at the end of the chapters to make your own notes. Appropos of this thread, she talks about her 'system' for reading reversed cards and explains that one of her students was a seasoned card reader- and this student was astounded at the simple way Allyson used to read reversals! DOES SHE TELL US WHAT IT IS? Not really - she describes 8-10 cards to us, then says *ahem* "You can figure the rest out yourself". Isn't that a great thing to tell a raw beginner? ??? ??? ???

The jury is still out on this book. Will review it when I'm done reading it.

Oh, man that's harsh! It seems that whatever "trick" she used for reversals only "students" who know their stuff can to figure out what she's doing and apply it to the rest of the deck! That's no way to teach someone the tarot!

New2Tarot

Thank you, Thirteen, for your suggestion.. I plan on getting that book A.S.A.P. I need some kind of foundation to learn on! What I've been looking for all this time were some agreed upon meanings, because my books are very vague.

Thanks,
New2Tarot

Thirteen

Quote:New2Tarot (27 Sep, 2001 11:41):
Thank you, Thirteen, for your suggestion.. I plan on getting that book A.S.A.P. I need some kind of foundation to learn on! What I've been looking for all this time were some agreed upon meanings, because my books are very vague.

Let me know how you like it :)