Nightmare Before Christmas Spread

KMilliron

Let's just throw out the fact that I'm sitting next to my Jack Skellington pillow right now. I have the movie (and the original poem) in both video and script form. Every song memorized? Check. A songbook complete with guitar chord diagrams? Check. Almost every remake ever made along with my own punk rock version of "Sally's Song" ? Check check check.

Now all I need to do is make a tarot spread! Quite simple.

Card 1) Jack. Your pure intentions. All Jack ever wanted was to give them something great and to fill the empty place in his bones. This card is what you want.

Card 2) Oogie Boogie. Your... eh, LESS than pure intentions. This is where you become callous and don't care who you hurt so long as you get your kicks. After all you ARE the boogie man.

These cards together are the Angel and Devil on your shoulders. Oh how the bickering gives me such headaches...

Card 3) Sally. Your emotions. Sally herself had certain sockets during the puppet creation to allow her to be more fluid and doll like. Much like Sally this card is your conscience, that nagging feeling you can't seem to dissipate. Almost as though there's something in the wind...

Card 4) The Sandy Claws. Your goals. Not to be confused with intentions. This is where you hope to be one day, while your intentions is how you plan on getting there.

Card 5) The Mayor. Where you could use more support. The Mayor is only an elected official and feels as though there is nothing he can do on his own. These are your pushover traits, very wishywashy as opposed to Sally's strong sense of justice.

Card 6) The Elves and Card 7) Shock, Lock, and Barrel
These cards are clarifiers to the Jack and Oogie positions.

Card 8) Finale/Reprise
The outcome. Position name comes from the name of the last bit of Danny Elfman's composition. (From "Jack's okay and he's back okay" to "We're simply meant to be")

Layout

*******8********
****3**4**5*****
******1*2*******
*****6***7******

Naturally I'm tempted to do a Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands, or Sweeny Todd spread now. :D

LeRoy3

Fiona Apple did the best cover of sallys song :p

Can you please explain more about card two? I'm dumb and don't really undersand it... lol Everything else makes sense.

If you created a "corpse bride" layout, you'd be an amazing person.

KMilliron

Oogie Boogie is all about gambling dancing and having a good time and doesn't care how he goes about it or who gets hurt.
Think of it like this- to Jack, stealing Christmas is fun and enlighten. To Oogie Sandy Claws looks delicious. :D Because Mister Oogie Boogie is sure to get his kicks.

Astraea Aurora

This is neat! Nightmare before Christmas is a great movie (but shhh! I like Corpse Bride better)

There is a Sweeney Todd spread already but it's more about the objects rather than the subjects. I bet another spread based on the characters might turn out beautifully as well.

Anyway, thanks for posting it.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

KMilliron

Astraea Aurora said:
This is neat! Nightmare before Christmas is a great movie (but shhh! I like Corpse Bride better)

There is a Sweeney Todd spread already but it's more about the objects rather than the subjects. I bet another spread based on the characters might turn out beautifully as well.

Anyway, thanks for posting it.

Astraea Aurora :grin:
Well I was thinking in terms of either characters, or of course, the soundtrack. Personify each song from "Opening" to "Final Sequence" and assign a position for them. Something like that. I enjoy mixing tarot with music. :D