Not sure it's been done before-

HudsonGray

What does everyone think of text on the card? I'm not talking about card meanings, I'm talking about dialog boxes, like they show on cartoon strips? Just a few words, for the scene pictured.

I don't think I've seen that before, and I've got another deck project in mind, but it may need a few lines of dialog on a few cards in the deck. Just a few words, nothing huge. I'm not sure how that would go over, though.

Any strong feelings on that?

Majecot

hmm well .....for me mind you...
I am not sure that I would like that, I have a couple of decks with key words on them and I find those distracting. I am learning to focus on the images themselves and I try to ignore the key words. I love the decks tho, they are my favorites but .. I just wish they did not have the keywords.

I wish you luck in your new deck. ;)

Mr. Sluagh

I've sometimes idly considered collecting a bunch of comic strips that reflect different cards and putting them together into a deck. Some sunday comics seem to have such neat, poignant commentaries and ideas in them that it should be possible to find 78 that match up with the cards, especially among really good stuff like The Far Side, Dilbert and Calvin and Hobbes (especially The Far Side).

Lady Eclipse

HudsonGray said:
What does everyone think of text on the card? I'm not talking about card meanings, I'm talking about dialog boxes, like they show on cartoon strips? Just a few words, for the scene pictured.

I don't think I've seen that before, and I've got another deck project in mind, but it may need a few lines of dialog on a few cards in the deck. Just a few words, nothing huge. I'm not sure how that would go over, though.

Any strong feelings on that?

Hi HudsonGray,

I actually put text on cards in my Lady Eclipse Tarot. I didn't do it with all of the cards, just a few. I did this on The Icon/Hierophant,
Romance/Lovers, Courage/Strength, Human Law/Justice, The Seeker/Hermit, and Karma/Judgment. The response I received was extremely positive so I don't see why you couldn't do something similar too. I think it's a great idea and I hope you decide to bring your idea into reality.

I fell asleep while writing at my computer last night/this morning and an idea came to me in a dream for a deck that I wanted to bounce off for imput. I'll start my own thread though so as not to distract from yours.

Joy to you,
Maralee

poivre

Hi,
Some of my older decks I have written on them some meanings or neat saying I've found about the card. When I use these for readings people will try to read what I have written on the card. So if these kind of cards are made with dialog boxes on them, they may be good to study or a collectors item. I think that this project would be very neat, but my clients would be reading instead of listening.
I may be wrong, just a reply.

baba-prague

Arnell Ando did this on one or two of the Transformational cards and personally, I kind of like it.
Having said that, I haven't yet tried reading with a querent with the Transformational, and I do wonder if the speech bubbles might be too specific to allow for much interpretation. What I mean is, some of my querents pick up cards and look at everything on them. It can be hard to persuade them that anything they see or read is NOT what they should focus on - and a speech bubble may really shut down the meaning quite a lot.

Maybe other people who have actually done readings with cards with speech bubbles could comment on this?

Anyway having said this, I'd probably do it if I were you. I do think on the whole that it would be interesting - and obviously you could keep the text kind of open in meaning.

Alta

Some of the Rohrig cards have a few words on them.

lunalafey

I once thought about a deck that was made from common well known phrases like "the grass is always greener" or "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"....a bunch like that......but I wonder what sort of reading it could produce.

Lady Eclipse

Hi HudsonGray,

I still think you should go for it. When a deck is amazing, beautiful, unusual, etc. a client is going to be looking at all of the details of the cards for those very reasons anyway. This has never detracted from any of my readings for clients nor for anyone I know who reads with decks differing from the "norm." In fact, they became even more engrossed in the reading and tended to get much more out of it than if I'd used a standard deck. The point being, a deck doesn't have to follow the RWS in order to be readable.

Joy to you,
Maralee

rota

I also say you should take the idea and run with it. You just never know...

I have a bias against verbose cards, since I've always assumed that tarot was a pictographic language in and of itself, and that words tend to narrow the focus rather than expand it. But all that being said, I might be wrong, and you might have a wonderful design idea that needs to be brought forward. Show us a card design or two, maybe...?