Ocean Oracle Study Group: Name and Appearance # 159

shell oracle

Ocean Oracle Study: Name and Appearance Group # 159

This group derives their meanings from the name or appearance of the shell.
Shells receive two names, the common name and the scientific name. The scientific name is in Latin and is based upon genus and species. The first person to discover a new species of shell is granted the privilege of naming it any common name they want. In fact, some shells' common names differ depending upon the location. However, the scientific name is consistant throughout the world. As you become familiar with the shells in this group, you may find yourself agreeing with some names, and other times asking yourself, "What possessed someone to give this shell that name?" Please feel free to share your comments on your opinions of the suitability of the name, or the meaning based upon its given name...or any interactions with these shells.

shell oracle

Sundial #159

159.Sundial
Meaning:"Patience"

Sundials were an early method used to track the slow, steady passage of time.
shell oracle said:
Since patience is not my strong suit, a jeweler friend made me a Sundial bracelet. The odd thing is that every time I teach, the bracelet (which has a magnetic clasp) falls off me. I can wear it doing vigorous housework and it is fine...it only falls off when I am teaching.