Oddness in the Hadar TdM (and others?)

SolSionnach

Hello all,
Two nights ago I was thumbing through my Hadar, and was struck by the shield on the 4/Deniers. It's outlined with blue, with a gold field, a lighter yellow 4-propeller-looking thing, three red flowers (the upper 2 having 5 petals and little fork-like extensions towards the center, with the lower 6-petaled one centered at the bottom.. and then there are w three-petaled blue lilies - one closed, and the other exposing a red almond-shaped center. I thought wtf is that? and continued... until I came to the 2/Coupes, where I found the exact same shield!

It is in the bottom 1/3 of the card, which is blocked off from the part with the Coupes (and the dolphins, etc). This shield is exactly the same as the one on the 4/Deniers, except that the red flowers are now black. However, the shield is crowned with a red/green/blue crown, and on either side are 2 swoopy things which hold the red palm fronds and the blue leaved teeny flowers which are seen on either side of the crown on the Ace/Epees!

In the Jodo-Camoin there is a similarity with the 2/Coupes and the 4/Deniers - both show a phoenix rising from the ashes on an altar, with angels on either side in the 2/Coupes. However, there is no connection with the Ace/Epees.

My Svizzera 1804 has all three cards related by initials (JR) and trumpet-looking things on the Coupes and Deniers cards, and all three cards have similar vegetation as on the Ace/Epees.

It seems to me that there must be a reason for this, particularly in the reproductions. I don't have any other TdMs which are older, and I'm curious if the Noblet or the Dodal show anything similar, and what could be the meaning behind this duplication in symbolism.

Thanks for reading!

Greg Stanton

I use the Spanish Tarot (which is a Marseilles repro, not sure of the provenance of the original deck) quite a bit and I recently noticed some oddness on the Sun.

There are two children facing/embracing each other, but if you look closely, one has three arms, and the other only one!

Bernice

The Noblet

I have the (Flornoy) Noblet, 1650.

4 Deniers has a small shield at the centre of the card.
2 Coupes has text on the lower third of the card - no shield.

No similarities....

Bee :)

SolSionnach

Greg Stanton said:
I use the Spanish Tarot (which is a Marseilles repro, not sure of the provenance of the original deck) quite a bit and I recently noticed some oddness on the Sun.

There are two children facing/embracing each other, but if you look closely, one has three arms, and the other only one!
LOL. I'll have to find a .jpg of that card - sounds quite silly. Of course, there is so much imagery in TdM decks that is unclear (like the extra arm from the right on the Vieville (I think) Pope card - what the heck?) that I'm not surprised to read your comment!
Bernice said:
I have the (Flornoy) Noblet, 1650.

4 Deniers has a small shield at the centre of the card.
2 Coupes has text on the lower third of the card - no shield.

No similarities....

Bee :)
Hiya Bee! long time no see!
That's interesting on the Noblet. I had the idea that this connection might have come from earlier on... now if someone with the Dodal (or the Payen?) would have a look we could scratch that idea.

I pulled out my Tarot of Bologna (LS), and there is no connection between the cards - and while the 4/Deniers has no shield, it does have the eagle from the shields on the Emperor and Empress cards. The 1Jj Swiss has a shield, but no connection, either. The Meneghello Visconti Sforza has nothing remotely like this.

So: both my 'restoration' decks (Hadar and Jodo/Camoin) have this to a greater or lesser extent, and it's very direct and obvious in the Hadar. I'm wondering about the Tarot of Marsella, the Grimaud, the Piatnik, the Dodal and the Payen.

Anyone up for checking those decks?

SolSionnach

I just pulled out my Vieville, and unsurprisingly there is no connection there, either. That being said, there is a shield on the 4/Deniers, and the 2 dolphins are on the 2/Coupes, as usual.

For grins I got out the Nissanka - the shield on the 4/Deniers is a square with an open pink lotus, while the 2/Coupes has a lotus, as well. Of course, many of the cards in that deck have lotuses!

I wanted to check these cards in the Fournier TdM, but I can't find it!!! Grrrr!! - so I looked at it on taroteca, and there is no connection between the cards.

So where did these restorers get the inspiration to link the cards in this way???

Greg Stanton

sravana said:
Here is the Sun card Greg is referring to: http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/194/Marseilles#39.jpg - interesting how the Sun itself looks like it's getting ready to vomit!
Ooo, a Sun with a hangover!

What I love about this deck is the colors, and the wobbly, amateurish character of the art. It's all very rough and human.

I have an aversion to super-slick art, computer typesetting, obvious shooped images -- at least when it comes to tarot cards.

Moonbow

Like the Noble, the Payen and Dodal also show the 2 of Cups with writing at the bottom of the card, and the 4 of Coins has a shield.

What you have to remember with the Hadar is that it is a reconstruction of a mixture of other decks, with a bit are artistic license thrown in. Kris Hadar used his knowledge of other decks and chose which details to include and which to omit, he changed the colouring to his own system and picked out what he considered to be necessary and important details to include in his deck. Many of the older decks have the maker's name at the bottom of the 2 of Cups and that card together with the Chariot and two of Coins are ways of identifying a deck.

I love the Hadar, it was the deck which started me on the Marseilles path. Comparing it to the Noblet, Dodal, Payen, Vieville, Classic and others really helps to start to understand the Marseilles and will lead to lots of reading and studying.

SolSionnach

Sun with a hangover :D
And wow, a full-face Moon (like the Cary sheet)
And an asparagus top cracking the tower! LOL :laugh:
A high priest without a papal crown?? A crosseyed magician? lol
the queen/Epees has a hairlip? ROFL
That's one wacky deck!
I really like the coloring on the pips... and I'm with you, Greg - I don't like super-slick CGI stuff, either.

Hi Moonbow*...
That's good to know re: payen/dodal.
I knew that about the Hadar - combining the Payen and Conver, IIRC. I wish I knew French so I could read everything he's written about his deck! I'm sure that there is some kind of meaning for the relationship between these 3 cards, and now that I know it's basically the Hadar and the Svizzera that have a relationship I can study the 2 of them.

I'm thinking that it's getting to be time to find a Noblet... and cross my fingers for the 78-card Flornoy Dodal being finished sometime soon.