One Card "Spreads" - Do you use them for more than 'daily draws?'

Aerin

I'm interested in who uses one card draws with success, and with which decks. I know a lot of people use them fo a 'card a day' but what about more complex questions?

For myself, I find that going to one card instead of several gets me to look really, really closely at the card and fnd details that I might otherwise have missed (especially in a large spread). I think from different perspectives too - e.g. past/ present/ future - it isn't that I am just using one 'spread position' more using one card for everything. The Fairytale Tarot (MRP) I find especially good for this type of reading because there's a whole story to go for as well as the image on the card - not to say that you can't create a story around a card from any deck, but some seem more suited than others. Bohemian Gothic and the Fey also work well for me.

Does anyone else do this? Which decks do you find work best?

Aerin

ps closely allied to this is my wondering 'do more cards necessarily lead to a better or more detailed reading?'

Curious

I do one card readings with most of my decks with excellent results. Most often, however, I use this technique with the decks that come with comprehensive companion books such as Legend -The Arthurian Tarot, Whimsical Tarot, and The Fairytale Tarot. Especially in the case of The Arthurian Tarot, I spend extra time researching the background material related to the story depicted by the card trying to glean a deeper, broader meaning. I don't have the time or desire to do that with a larger spread.

bluecaffeine

I use the SacredCircleTarot and I often use only one card for meditation. I recognize more details then, i.e. the flowers, trees, animals.
For questions about me or my life, one card is enough, but for relationships for lovers or relationships with coworkers I use more cards. I have noticed, that using one card only brings me more to a clear statement.

Sheri

I frequently pull a card if I need to decide something, and the card usually very literally depicts my answer. For example, I was setting up at a venue and couldn't decide whether I wanted the stage or lower level. The stage had musical instruments on it -- drums, guitars, a keyboard and a cello.

I asked the Mystical Lenormand for insight into where would be the best place to set up, intending to draw only one card.

The card I drew was "Ring," which in the Mystical Lenormand has a cello in the background. :bugeyed:

Needless to say, I set up on the stage. :D

As another example, I was on an outing to do my first live (face 2 face) reading and went to a bookstore. I decided I was only going to do 3-card readings. After nothing happening for awhile, I asked how the day was going to go -- again with the intent of only drawing one card.

I drew the 4 of Pentacles from the Golden Tarot. It depicts a woman in a street(?) peddling her pentacles with no takers. Three pentacles were at her feet and she was holding one. That was exactly how my day went, too! :D

Sometimes when you have a "1 on 1" with your cards, they can be surprisingly candid, funny and very literal. At least they have been for me each and every time.

:love: valeria

thorhammer

I use one-carders with mixed success, though that's due more to my state of mind and willingness to work with it than anything else. I use all my decks for this - I must say I don't treat my Tarot decks differently in terms of spreads - yet.

I tend to really like one-card draws with oracle decks. The Froud's Faeries: It's like having a one-on-one conversation with the character on the card. Druid Animal Oracle: Makes no sense to me in a spread situation.

As to when I use them? When I either want a really quick reading (like when I pulled a card from my Tiny Tarot on a construction site :D) or when I want to hold the message of a certain card in my mind for some time, and really integrate that message.

\m/ Kat

Ambrosia

I agree with all of the above. One card draws are great for many situations. nothing better IMHO for clear, concise, short sweet answers. Sometimes we want our decks to "get to the point", and this is definately the no frills approach. One card draws are great!

Raindance

I'll ask "What is the theme of the day?" And I usually get what I expect. For example, I got "The Magician" on a day I had to do a ton of cooking...

Teresaa

With me starting to get back into tarot, i have been drawing a card a day, & today i draw the 4 Swords, i was a little bit put of by this, but then i got a text message from a friend i haven't spoke to for about a week, & he has been & still is very depressed, to the point he had to leave work as he broke down, i talked him into going to the doctors, but most of the time i was talking to him, he cried.
All the cards i have pulled have been right for the events that have happened.
This has really made me see the cards in a different light & a better understanding, the next thing i need to do is now to start putting them together, hopefully i will start to really understand the cards lol

Hooked on TdM

valeria said:
As another example, I was on an outing to do my first live (face 2 face) reading and went to a bookstore. I decided I was only going to do 3-card readings. After nothing happening for awhile, I asked how the day was going to go -- again with the intent of only drawing one card.

I drew the 4 of Pentacles from the Golden Tarot. It depicts a woman in a street(?) peddling her pentacles with no takers. Three pentacles were at her feet and she was holding one. That was exactly how my day went, too! :D

Hehe I had a remarkably similar experience on Saturday. I went to a coffee bookshop to try the same thing. I pulled a one carder and got La Papesse (the High Priestess.) There she is, sitting with a veil going around both sides of her, with her book open and looking about. I was sitting in the corner with my Tarot and journal out! I had no takers either.. and funny thing I pulled her twice..

I tend to get better information from 3 to 7 card spreads then one carders so I only use one card for a quickie.

Hooked

thorhammer

I thought of another point to make here.

Often, when i pull one card with a view to contemplation rather than instant gratification, I'll link it to other cards in the deck, and sometimes in other decks. I let my mind associate it with images from other cards, and then when I pull those ones out !presto! I've got a spread that kind of already makes sense, but that deepens what I already knew.

I'm feeling horrid today, so I can't provide any examples, but if anyone wants an example, I can work on it :)

\m/ Kat