Osvaldo Menegazzi Mah Jongg Deck

darwinia

This from Arnell Ando's web pages for Il Meneghello. It's a reproduction deck and I wondered if someone who has the deck could describe the artwork or post scans.

Like the Derek Walters deck discussed in other threads, I am assuming that these cards repeat the same symbols/images on the cards? It's very expensive and I don't need a deck that is the same as the one I have, so I'd appreciate extra information if available.

Mah-Jongg
Chinese Game - 1900
144 Full Color Cards
Collection by Osvaldo Menegazzi
Limited Edition 0f 1000
Size/Dimensioni: mm. 34/89 (cm. 3.4 x 8.9)
Publisher: Il Meneghello, 1992
(Prezzo) Price: €. 35.00

darwinia

What?? None of the fans out there are interested in this? <g>

I did find a US source for the deck in Pittsburgh where it is listed for $24 US.
http://www.silvercrowcreations.com/accessoriesframes.asp?main=PlayingCards.htm

They seem to be advertising them for use in collage and altered books/rubber stamping projects. Horrors!

They look to be about the same size as the Fortune Teller's Mah Jonng cards, but they have a nice antique-y patina. You can see that they are photographs of an antique tile set on a black background. As with all Il Meneghello decks, I'm sure the quality is excellent.

rachelcat

Hey thanks for the tip. I am still awaiting the Walters deck from Amazon (which mysteriously has not shipped yet. I think that means they don't really have it!)

I may have to order the deck you linked to just to save a limited edition deck of cards from being cut up for scrapbooking!!!!!!

darwinia

rachelcat said:
I may have to order the deck you linked to just to save a limited edition deck of cards from being cut up for scrapbooking!!!!!!

Can you believe that? Considering the publisher, limited edition, and higher quality of the print run, it's a bit short-sighted. It's like that person on eBay who keeps splitting up the Rock and Roll Tarot and selling the cards separately--lots of people do this with cards for the collage and altered books/scrapbooking crowd.

Oh, and if you noticed on the page--the Dover CD-ROM and clip art book of antique playing cards--I have ordered that--great for collage and decorating custom boxes and you don't have to destroy a deck to do it.

Just to remind you-I bought the Walters deck from Mandrake in the UK--it took 4 days to get to Canada from the UK. It usally takes 14 days from the US.
http://www.mandrake-press.co.uk/acatalog/tarot_kits.html

Never give up!