Palmistry Study Group : the Life Line

Alissa

The Life line ... this is the line that almost everyone associates to the art of palmistry, no matter how much or how little they know of the art itself. It is the first line formed on the palm, appearing on the embryo at approximately 8 weeks old (which is followed quickly by the Heart line, and then the Head line).

The Life line most often originates from the mount of Mars (the area just above the webbing of the thumb) and "embraces" (to use Cheiro's word) the mount of Venus (the padded, fleshy mound of the thumb on the palm side).

First and foremost ... a short Life line does not indicate a short life. A major, and common, misconception. I *do* believe that it sometimes indicates a personality that will view their time on earth as "too short" no matter what age they live to be.

The Life line indicates one's vitality and interest in life. A deep line is indicative of one who embraces life fully, and a shallow line speaks to one who shies away from life and does not live life to the fullest.

Another measure of vitality is how far across the palm the life line archs. A small arch, say arching not further than the vertical axis below the first finger (Jupiter), would indicate a listless and lethargic person. A wide arch, travelling to the center of the palm or beyond, is indicative of a great zest and zeal for life (to the point that they may become risk takers in order to satisfy that aspect within themselves). An average arch is one that travel anywhere from the axis below the first (Jupiter) and second (Saturn) fingers.

When attempting to estimate time along this line, although I've often been quite accurate, I don't like doing it. It makes me squirmy. Remember, the lines on our palms do change, and speak to the changing nature of our own personal future, as we continue to craft that future by our actions in the here and now. For this reason, "future-casting" when palm reading is extremely tricky, and not recommended as the primary focus for doing a palm reading in my opinion (I say, get your Tarot cards ;) you'll likely yield much more helpful info there!)

However, having issued my caveat, the best way to estimate time along the Life line is to first travel your eye vertically down the middle (Saturn) finger to see where the axis meets up with the Life line's arch. That point along the line is extimated to be 35 years old -- and you'll see it is indeed a point that's just about half-way through most folks' Life lines. Guesstimate your way up and down the line from there, folks.

Breaks (or gaps) in the Life line are signs of major changes, possibly being health related issues (but not necessarily).

Branches along this line are tricky for me to read. Here is my own experience reading branches on the life line.

Branches that point downward most often come across as major physical health-related issues. If the branch reachs *up* from the Life line towards the Head line, it is indicative of a brain/mental condition. The greater the branch, the bigger the problem.

"Worry lines" will sometimes cross the Life line as well. Worry lines are smaller lines that streak horizontally across the mount of Venus (between the Life line and the thumb). The deeper and more prevalent these lines are, the more this person worries.

Worry lines that cross the Life line indicate times when stress was severe enough to cause health problems. When worry lines are primarily horizontal, (and especially if they are faint) they indicate worries that are "on their way out" -- the energy leaves from the mount of Venus and out the thumb. *Vertical* lines in this area I read as worries that are not quick to leave (like family, or those kinds of always-around issues).

"Pits" in the worry line area, or sunken little dimples, indicates a deep source of pain for this person which is sucking their energy from them (essentially, going down the pit/hole). Folks who have pits will often have reddish blotches around that area, indicative of hot-pain (anger, rage) that the person may be feeling as well.

A "sister line" can sometimes be found just along the inner edge of the Life line, towards the thumb side. This line I read as the presence of a guardian spirit, or guide, who walks with this person in life. It is a *sorta* common line to see (I'd say about 35-50% of the palms I've seen have these lines). The deeper the line, the stronger that presence has made itself known for the person. However, I would add lastly, that this is my own unique interpretation for a sister line, and I hope others will post their views on it's interpretations as well.

"Feathered," and sometimes "chained", Life lines indicate a multitude of small health problems that may have a cumulative, debilitating effect for the person.

Islands on the Life line indicate times of deep emotional withdrawal, perhaps to the point of depression. In severe cases (usually evidenced by larger-sized islands) a person with this line may have had to be hospitalized to treat the condition.

A square on the Life line indicates a time of either voluntary (elective hospitalization, for example) or involuntary confinement (incarceration).

silverting

woah.....another interesting read.....btw what it means to have alot of lines that look very messy(light lines...)on the palm??? it is rather confusing to me and what does it mean to have "dent" on the left hand between the life line and line above??????thanz...

Alissa

silverting said:
btw what it means to have alot of lines that look very messy(light lines...)on the palm??? it is rather confusing to me and what does it mean to have "dent" on the left hand between the life line and line above??????thanz...

For individual and personal interpretations of one's own palm, you may wish to revive a thread such as this :
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13524

I would prefer to keep the threads for the study group topics specifically on the topic, and less on personal interpretations of one's own markings.

And, in response to your second question, I just started a separate thread to address your very pertinent palmistry question, which hand do I read from?
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15089

Thanks for your input!

Royal Cat

Alissa said:
Branches that point downward most often come across as major physical health-related issues. If the branch reachs *up* from the Life line towards the Head line, it is indicative of a brain/mental condition. The greater the branch, the bigger the problem.

I have a deep, strong life line that reaches right to the center of my wrist. I have two branches that point upward and go almost to the next prominent line on my hand (the Head line?). One branch is around the 35-40 year mark (about 5-10 years away for me) and the other looks to be about 10 years after that. Sounds like a rough time ahead. :(

Alissa said:
A "sister line" can sometimes be found just along the inner edge of the Life line, towards the thumb side. This line I read as the presence of a guardian spirit, or guide, who walks with this person in life.

That's very interesting! I have a "Sister line" - but it is only visible on my LEFT hand (I'm right handed). I'll have to go read the thread on 'which hand to read' to find out what that means. :)

Thanks Alissa, this is fun!
Cat

LittleWing

at last i may learn how to palm read!!!! - before when i have tackled it, i have always become too overwhelmed.

To have lots of lines all over the palm .... means you are a passionate person (however, i do not know if this is so if the lines are faint). A rough palm shows roughness of character (and you are a worker!! - haha)

i know this because it is true for me.

sirona86

breaks/gaps in life line

Breaks (or gaps) in the Life line are signs of major changes, possibly being health related issues (but not necessarily).

alissa, thanks for the enlightening post!

what other issues would breaks or gaps in a life line signal, if not health-related ones?

Dark Eyes

Hi Alissa, this was a very interesting thread. Well done again. I am very keen to read your posts, you have a great resource of information and very acurate too.

Cat, I often read lines that run upwards off the lifeline to the headline as self employment lines. At least opportunities. It is up to you whether you become aware of these opportunities and go with them, or if you miss them. But they will be there for you when that time of life comes, so look out for them.
The lifeline to me is an indication of your root chakra. It shows your rootedness in life. As Alissa said, well etched deep lifelines will indicate a very energetic person, or at least someone with a great deal of vitality and drive. If the line is faint or shallow, it is indicative of a person who tires easily, burns out if they over exert themselves, and generally has less physical vitality.
If the line is short, I read this as someone who runs a lot on their nerves, who must rest more than one with a long lifeline.
If the line hugs close to the thumb, It indicates a cautious person, one not willing to take a risk. If it curves out very wide, it indicates a person who will have a very long leash, will take a risk and never believe anything will go wrong for them.
If the lifeline branches off at the bottom, The person will likely either travel, or at least has the desire to visit foreign shores. In the old palmistry books, It signalled death in a foreign land. Fortunately, palmistry has changed with the ages, this belief is just like an old story now. It shows an adventurous nature with itchy feet who would like to explore other countries, and if on both hands, the possibility becomes more certain.
If the headline and lifeline are joined for 2 cms or more at the beginning, I see this as a very cautious person also. It indicates someone who takes a long time to disconnect from their parents beliefs and attitudes.
If the lifeline and headlines are not joined at the beginning, but are say half a cm apart, these people are usually very independent and often take risks and chances. Normally they have become independent of their parents way of thinking from a quite young age.
Hope this helps some of you,
Great thread Alissa. Love it.
Dark Eyes. :)

Royal Cat

Thank you Dark Eyes. After reading your post I recall something a palm reader said to me about 1.5 years ago (the only prefessional I've had read my palm - it was at a fair). She was looking at the life line and said I have an entrepenueral spirit and that I could very possibly find myself wanting to own my own business... I told her that I *do* own my own business and what it is... her reply was to look again at the lines (and now I realize she was looking at the spacing) and said "Oh, you're a bit early then! But that's ok." She meant early because my lines indicated something around 35-40ish and I am not there yet. I now understand what she meant and which lines indicated it. :)

So, could having two of these lines approx. 10 years apart indicate a second business? Or a change in business?

Just wanted to repeat what a great thread this is. I'm really enjoying it! :)

Cat

Alissa

Branches are tricky! They can mean a good thing or a bad thing, they don't equate with only injuries, and I should make that point. Most often, since an injury effects one's vitality, that will be the case, but not always!

I've seen some branches off a life line that indicate a change of life, or taking a divergnt path than the one they were currently on. More often, when I see a change of life, I find it a person's fate/identity line, but sometimes on a life life, yes.

Branches, in my opinion, require some fine tuning to understand, so read your friends' hands a *lot* (which they will love too) and they'll be willing to tell you where you're right or wrong, or brainstorm with you.

It helps!

sirona, gaps can sometimes indicate a *drastic* life change occuring, often with a marked period of personal disorientation in the process. They may have experienced mental/psychological gaps during this point of change (or self-reinvention), or they may have had to literally cut ties completely with an old way of life to make a new one (an abused wife who runs away with the kids so she can hide, reinvent her life).

Again, I see these influences more often on a fate line, but they are relevant in a Life line as well.

Dark Eyes

Hi there Cat,
As Alissa said, there are many interpretations for branches and breaks no matter what line they are on. Whether the meanings are positive or negative depends on other factors in the hand. In my palmistry lessons, I was always under the impression that lines branching upwards were positive ones, lines that fall or drop down were negative indications. Lines reaching up were energy striving to get higher, dropping lines are disappointments and let downs. Again, I stress, these do depend on other factors in the hand.
Cat, where you have two lines reaching upwards off your lifeline about ten years apart, I would read it as you have already. That possibly there would be yet another opportunity coming forth for you in the future, either a second business or a change of business. Are they long lines and where do they finish, what finger are they reaching towards ? It is also possible that they are lines of achievement for example ... having studied a course and become successful, ... a uni degree or even a certificate course of interest. Somehow though, it signals achievement and success, whatever field of study it was. Self employment may be the result, and two of these certainly could mean doing it twice.
I hope I am allowed to answer these questions with my opinions Alissa, I am not sure if I am supposed to let you answer the questions as it is your thread. I hope I haven't jumped in on your territory. I mean only to give another viewpoint on the subject of the thread. My ideas are very similar to those of most other palmists, I just add a bit if there is another angle to look at things from. Only if I feel it is worth saying.
Best wishes to all
Dark eyes. :)