Pet peeves

spinnachie

Neither of those is what I was talking about - cleansing is fine, asking people not to handle your cards is fine. It's the people that wig out. "OMG you touched my cards don't you know they are SACRED it's like someone wore your UNDERWEAR without asking OMG I'm going to have to cleanse them in salt and moonlight and Hibiclens™ now and it will take TWO WEEKS."

I'm exaggerating only slightly.

I mean, just say, "Hey, in the future I'd rather you didn't handle my cards," most people will be fine with it.

Yeah, I see what you mean...Thankfully I have not met anyone like that, I would definitely get annoyed lol

G6

My only pet peeve = judgmental jerks that give readings from up on their high horse.

nisaba

I had such a nice chuckle imagining you docilely sitting through all that, nisaba.
I liked her very much. It's amazing what I'll do for people I like. I basically had to nail myself down to prevent myself from behaving badly <grin>.

Like Amethyst Eyes, I wonder why she bothers to read if it's such a risky business. It's at least a novel twist to the "protection" routine.
The first time it ever happened, the very first time we swapped readings, I'd already read for her, and hadn't done all of that stuff, and she didn't come to harm. I'm still a bit astonished that she thought I'd be so vulnerable.

... because of the extremes she went to in order to protect nisaba, her sitter.
Did she feel as though I had led her into danger by not setting up her reading the same way?

khatsar

I am so amused at the amount of this stuff that I do hahahaha. WELP :D

Hmm, what are my pet peeves...

I don't like when people always read a certain card in the exact same, narrow way in every reading. An example would be the Three of Cups as a love triangle, or always interpreting Pentacles cards as having to do with finances.

Querents with some knowledge of tarot, or who are readers themselves, sometimes have trouble graciously accepting readings from people who interpret cards differently than they do. While I understand the urge and feel it myself, I think it's important to show some respect when someone is putting in the effort to do a reading for you. I really dislike when someone superimposes their personal interpretation onto my whole reading, especially when their personal "spin" on my cards is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I AM SAYING. I put quite a bit of work into studying the tarot so that I can give people more useful readings. Don't ask me for a reading if you're going to argue with or dismiss my time and effort. If I'm not accurate, I can accept that-- I have also sat for readers who didn't quite hit the mark. But I think it's rude to tell someone what their cards "really" mean or ignore a warning because you see a "good card" in there somewhere (ugh romance readings UGHHHH). It's condescending.

Thoughtful

A woman I used to swap readings with, used to wrap me up in a white scarf blessed by the Dalai Lama "for protection" when she read for me presumably because she was so afraid of Tarot, and used to lead (incompetently) a whole long meditation before the reading to put me in the presence of a godform she believes in and I don't, to further protect me during the reading from whatever dangers she perceived.

Ha ha ha! nisaba l was helpless with laughter reading this, all l could imagine was you all cosily wrapped up like ET wondering what planet you were on :laugh:

Thunder

Okay, I admit I don't allow other people to touch my cards if I am going to do a reading. It's really strange because when I first began to use Tarot I was thinking that the proper way to do things is to give the cards to the other person so they can shuffle them. I used this way of doing readings for I while. But then I noticed that when some other person touches my cards (and I mean a wide range of people with clean hands) my cards become sticky, they can't shuffle that well and begin to fall down easilly out of my hands or of the hands of whoever is shuffuling them. It always happens with different people and with different decks. I have to re-arange the cards and leave them for a while and then they are okay. I don't mid people touching them when I am done with readings if they want to take a look or something.

Other than that there is another thing I thought of. People with numerous questions. They don't have the exact same questions, but my dialog with such people is something like that:

Q: Why is he behaving like this?
A: Because he is hurt from someone closer to them and he really had bad day.
Q: He raised his eyebrow! Can you believe this, he raised his eyebrow at me! What does he mean by raising that eyebrow? What does he meant when he scratced his nose? It was a strange scratch, not the regular??

(and so on and so on, until the end of time or until the time the reader gets a headache). And the bad thing is ... I had recieved similar questions for real.

Have to agree with this one. Was once "cursed" by a reader, because I told him his advice was bad! (he told me I *must* return to my abusive husband, no choice!) (I didn't, of course!) Not cool to curse people. Or to tell them to go back to a realllly bad marriage! His curse did not work, either.

Such people are just posers, this is what I think, they are not actual readers. I am happy you didn't think too much about the curse part and you lauged at him, because I have seen people ruin their lives with their own will just because they believe they have been cursed.

Padma

Such people are just posers, this is what I think, they are not actual readers. I am happy you didn't think too much about the curse part and you lauged at him, because I have seen people ruin their lives with their own will just because they believe they have been cursed.

:) You are right, such people (cursers) are just poser losers :)

I could never believe in an kind of curse....because: My will is my own, my life is mine, and I am protected - even if just by my my own belief in myself!

And I wish this on all readers, and all querents :love:

May your pet peeves be few, and your readings awesome! :livelong:

Kgirl

You have any pet peeves about the way people read tarot? Not trying to bash anyone here just some things that you see people do that kinda make you roll your eyes.
For me I'm not a fan of reversals, I honestly think that many dont read them correctly and its twists things that didnt need to be.
Something that gets me is when people automatically turn to money when they get a pentacles card! Money work money work! AHH! There is more depth to the cards than that!

I agree 100%

For the life of me, I don't get why people read reversals. I really believe cards are not meant to be read that way - there are 78 cards which cover the gamut of good, bad and in-between. It just bewilders me. I hate it. (And I've read many explanations on it and I don't care to really discuss it)

And clarifiers. Just try to read what is in front of you.

nisaba

Ha ha ha! nisaba l was helpless with laughter reading this, all l could imagine was you all cosily wrapped up like ET wondering what planet you were on :laugh:

<grin>

Teyata

Fortune-telling

I don't agree with the reading style that uses Tarot to stake one's claim on exactly what will happen in the future, especially for those who have never before been exposed to Tarot. My problem is that this method takes away from the rich possibilities of using one's intuition to solve one's own problems and instead puts all the power and agency in the hands of a "mystic" who you may or not be paying to tell you how your life is going to turn out. I don't believe there is a single predetermined future and, if there were, I certainly don't think any human could know it. The cards can certainly make us aware of possibilities blooming into likelihoods, but we must work either to change that outcome or make it happen.

That being said, we should really be careful not to pigeonhole the cards and insist that they must be used only to tell the future, only for meditation, only for Kabbalah, etc. There are so many uses for Tarot!