Pierre Madenié Tarot Facsimile is launched

Wendywu

I do it because getting stabbed by sharp corners hurts! I have a mixture of some very sensitive finger tips and some numb ones but for health reasons I have to stab the things and get a drop of blood out six times a day. That's quite enough in the way of being jabbed at by sharp things for me :D

Barleywine

authenticity, for a fac-simile it's normal as it was the way old playing cards were made.
they aren't really more difficult to shuffle, maybe a bit more prone to being damaged on the corners, but nothing special if you take a minimum care of your decks. Your mileage may vary though...
Actually making square corners may even be a more expensive option on a standard size if the producer usually does only rounded corners.

Bertrand

Thank you for the explanation. I can appreciate authenticity, and for that reason wouldn't see a need to round them off as long as the card stock is heavy enough to withstand use. It seems to be an aesthetic preference for some, perhaps because rounded corners are the "norm."

Yves Le Marseillais

Why I am square man ;)

Hello all,

In fact my producers don't have two kind of prices: Squared or rounded options it's same quotation.

So I decided square corners because of respect of what was this historical decks.
I intend to produce facsimiles so I do this way.

But I have well noted Le Fanu remarks about centered decks: This decision allows any buyer of my decks to choose or not to round his new deck by itself.

In fact if one intend to really do a facsimile, all decks could be differently centered or not.
And even more each card of a historical deck may be either centered, non centered or even without one black line (left or right) on one of his side.

So to center cards is best decision in my own opinion but I allows myself to not add a black line if origine card don't have it.

Lamination problems:
My facsimiles are NOT laminated but just satined with a spray process just after printing operation.

But.... Don't forget that rounding your exemplary by yourself will NOT damage this spray process (contrary to lamination).

Why ? Because spray process is performed BEFORE cards are cutted from printed sheet.
So you never take any risk by rounding your new facsimile: It will not peal your card.

Don't worry your deck will stay intact.

Salutations from Marseille City

Yves

delizt

I keep a back up of the Pierre Madenié with squared edges for study purposes, but find that the squared edges are harder to shuffle and cut my hands..it can hurt!

But the "center-ness" of the cards (if that is a word?) is VERY important and I like that the Pierre Madenié allows for cornering without cutting into the black border or cutting the image.

Some decks I would love to round, but feel that I may crop into the black border and going that far into "rounding" seems to detract from the deck.. the Vieville that La Fanu mentioned is a perfect example.

I never hesitated to chop and snip at other tarot decks, but the square edges of the TdMs seemed so sacred...I am glad I read this forum and saw some pics of de-cornered decks to encourage me to finally do it!!

BSwett

Got a second copy to round the corners, heathen that I am.

I'm halfway through and my god it looks good...

Mmmm... Love rounded corners on this historic beauty! It makes a world of difference!

SweetIsTheTruth

BSwett , you are a deck circumcision enabler. I saw the photos of your trimmed Madenie and it is SO tempting. Now that the Madenie is on Amazon, it's all the more tempting to pick up an extra to trim.

BSwett

BSwett , you are a deck circumcision enabler. I saw the photos of your trimmed Madenie and it is SO tempting. Now that the Madenie is on Amazon, it's all the more tempting to pick up an extra to trim.

:)

You should see my Soprafino, and my Noblet! They are gorgeous with rounded corners! BUT it has to be 3mm or less. Any bigger and they look cheap, IMHO. (Like the Jodo-Cam ;p )

Le Fanu

My god yes (those look great; just like mine)... I'm a de-cornering whore of historic decks.

Madenié, Soprafino, rare Meneghello ones, Noblet, I just don't care. Give me a deck and if it's beautiful I'll de-corner it. If it's ugly, I leave the corners on...

delizt

My god yes (those look great; just like mine)... I'm a de-cornering whore of historic decks.

Madenié, Soprafino, rare Meneghello ones, Noblet, I just don't care. Give me a deck and if it's beautiful I'll de-corner it. If it's ugly, I leave the corners on...

Thanks for cracking me up this morning with this comment, I almost spilt my tea onto the keyboard!!!

I'd love to see some pics of the decks you've de-cornered!! The Soprafino? how does that one look?