Premium German Rider Waite with Pam A crackle brown back and 1909 colouring

Le Fanu

Obviously - just in case anyone hasn't been following the thread - there is a difference between the Premium edition (crackle backs) and the Deluxe edition (Rosicrucian Cross backs). I found out the hard way and ended up with a large Deluxe edition which I really don't need. I might have consoled myself if it had calligraphic titles, but it didn't.

I wonder if there is a stipulation about the deck being in English and whether US games might have seized on that? Whether it cannot be issued in English? I have seen it for sale in other languages. Only a couple of weeks ago too in Madrid, in Spanish...

gregory

Obviously - just in case anyone hasn't been following the thread - there is a difference between the Premium edition (crackle backs) and the Deluxe edition (Rosicrucian Cross backs). I found out the hard way and ended up with a large Deluxe edition which I really don't need. I might have consoled myself if it had calligraphic titles, but it didn't.

I wonder if there is a stipulation about the deck being in English and whether US games might have seized on that? Whether it cannot be issued in English? I have seen it for sale in other languages. Only a couple of weeks ago too in Madrid, in Spanish...
My thoughts exactly :(

Lisa Myobun

Thanks for this! So the "Deluxeformat" listed on the Koenigsfurt website is the blue Rosicrucian backs....

But I'm also thinking that the notice about an August release date may just mean they ran out of their original print run...? Admittedly, I'm a glass half full kinda gal...

ETA Does anyone have both the blue cross and the pebble back version? A viewer of my YouTube vid said her Rosicrucian version looks like exactly the same Pam A images and details, as well as (seemingly) the same nice card stock. Is the only difference the backs?

Richard

ETA Does anyone have both the blue cross and the pebble back version? A viewer of my YouTube vid said her Rosicrucian version looks like exactly the same Pam A images and details, as well as (seemingly) the same nice card stock. Is the only difference the backs?

I have the giant version (in English) with the Rose Cross backs and the pocket and standard size decks (in German) with the pebble backs. As far as I can tell, the images of the giant deck are identical to those of the pocket and regular decks. The card stock of all three decks seems to be of high quality. The giant cards seem a bit more flexible than the cards in the other two decks.

Personally, I don't especially like the pebble backs, although it is not a significant issue.

Le Fanu

I have the giant version (in English) with the Rose Cross backs and the pocket and standard size decks (in German) with the pebble backs.
Me too (except the pocket). I suspect they are the same images, same font, no perceptible difference in saturation or tone, but the bigger one (i.e blue Rosicrucuan backs) loses a little something just by dint of being bigger. The standard crackle-backed size to me looks perfect, sharpness of line just right. cardstock is fantastic. Oh but if the English version had the calligraphic titles, I could end my yearnings. It would be the definitive version, but I know that won't be the case.

I can't believe the English one came in stock and went - my hunch is that we won't see one in English, but that's me being pessimistic.

manandcards

Amazon UK had a copy of Pocket Edition in German - so I might have panic bought it.

I'm sure the previous release was June? Maybe it's delay related.

gregory

I fear you are right. Just got email:

In fact we could not sell the Tarot of A.E. Waite to the USA or the UK.
And as our online shop fulfiller could not guarantee that in the automatical order system an order from the USA or UK will always be recognized and stopped we decided to take the decks from our online shop.
WHEN will this be stopped. I am getting heartily sick of it.

Wheel of Fantastic

I fear you are right. Just got email:

WHEN will this be stopped. I am getting heartily sick of it.

It will stop in 2022 when even US Games will have to concede the copyright on the RWS will have expired.

So, it was a legal issue - when products disappear from retail as quickly as that then that's the usual explanation.

I first saw and ordered this deck on Amazon.de; then Amazon UK got hold of them. I wonder if this tightening of control means the decks - in any language - will no longer be sold by Amazon.de?

If the decks have been pulled from the online shop then they will need to find another online market. Just selling them in bricks and mortar stores these days is not particularly profitable.

Richard

Does the USG copyright not apply to the giant RWS? My printed in China deck has "© 1971, 2010 U.S. GAMES SYSTEMS, INC." but there is no copyright mark on my AGM deck. The AGM titles are in English but they are not the hand printed Colman Smith titles, which are on the China deck.