qigong anyone?

celticnoodle

I recently picked up a book on qigong at the New Age store online. After reading it, (well, still reading it), I thought it may be beneficial to me, if I could find a place nearby that teaches this. So, I googled and lo & behold a class is 25 miles away from me in Ithaca! And, at a decent price too. :thumbsup:

So, I mentioned it to my doctor, who actually also knew of this, and thought it may be good for me, though she never tried it herself. "The only thing", she warned me, "sometimes the deep breathing leaves people feeling a bit nauseated--so be careful with that".

But, I'm game to trying it. Anyone here know of this? Anyone here take/give classes in this? I had been trying hard to find a tai chi teacher, but the only ones close by offer only evening classes, or the ones that are during the day time hours are too far away for me. (I don't see well at night to drive). I need to find something that could help me with muscle and joint aches and pain, and while tai-chi was advised, its not something I can find that fits for me right now. So, I'd like to know more about this qigong from anyone on here who has experience in it. Thank you in advance!

Glass Owl

My husband has been practicing Chinese martial arts for 25+ years so I am going to pass the keyboard over to him. Here is what he says....

Chi gung is any kind of energy work. Tai chi is a martial type of chi gung. Yang Jwing Ming has an awesome dvd for beginners. It is 8 pieces brocade (simple qigong). You can find it on their web site ymaa.com. You can see some of his stuff on youtube as well. Here are a few videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCTf21BnHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-X5lG1PE4

The six healing sounds by Mantak Chia are good too as all of his videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVIhpaPs9o

danieljuk

I always want to get into this (it's great for anxiety!) but never have been committed. I see people in my local park doing it though.

I once did it from a mobile app and it was a 15 min version and at the end I felt really exhausted out and unwell. I think I need to start off smaller. But I think it's great for balancing, I hope one day to become proficient in it :)

celticnoodle

My husband has been practicing Chinese martial arts for 25+ years so I am going to pass the keyboard over to him. Here is what he says....

Chi gung is any kind of energy work. Tai chi is a martial type of chi gung. Yang Jwing Ming has an awesome dvd for beginners. It is 8 pieces brocade (simple qigong). You can find it on their web site ymaa.com. You can see some of his stuff on youtube as well. Here are a few videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCTf21BnHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-X5lG1PE4

The six healing sounds by Mantak Chia are good too as all of his videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVIhpaPs9o
Oh, thank you! I'll be soon checking these out. I didn't realize Tai chi was a marital type of this. I did think it had to be related somehow--as it seemed so similar, so now I know! Thank you again. :)

I always want to get into this (it's great for anxiety!) but never have been committed. I see people in my local park doing it though.

I once did it from a mobile app and it was a 15 min version and at the end I felt really exhausted out and unwell. I think I need to start off smaller. But I think it's great for balancing, I hope one day to become proficient in it :)

Yes, I did read that you need to learn how to do this properly and it is something you need to do on a daily basis--not skip a day. It is something to do each and every day. Also that you should never do it till you are exhausted, as it is meant to make you feel better. You should practice it gradually--building up on it each day and always feel comfortable afterwards. Further, it says that to practice this daily, you will be able to boost your immune system and fight off many illnesses, including cancer. Sounds good to me! :D Too bad you don't live near me in NY, Daniel--we could go to the classes together and keep each other encouraged to stick to it!

celticnoodle

Glass Owl hubby, that third one, the Mantak Chia Six Healing Sounds I never heard of. I just finished watching all three videos and I found the healing sound one interesting too. I'll have to look into that one as well and see what more I can find out about it. Thank you so much for the links!

celticnoodle

thank you, Glass Owl for those two links too. I just might purchase the 2nd one and see how I like it.

ravenest

It will do you the world of good ... but, get OUT of the books ... get outside and DO some ... as you say, start off slow and easy .. with a teacher.

LIke the essence of alchemy ... its all about circulation of energy ... when the energy starts flowing it 'cleans out the channels' ... a blast of high pressure water will clean the inside of the hose ... a bit of crud might arise ... hence the gradual build up to a higher level.

Also (and here closer to the analogy of alchemy) ... your chi ( or Qi ) will start to change as it circulates .

In my past (when I used to have a drink now and again ) .... 5 mins of circulating 'fire dragon' breath would cure any hangover.

celticnoodle

It will do you the world of good ... but, get OUT of the books ... get outside and DO some ... as you say, start off slow and easy .. with a teacher.

Yes, well I had never heard of it before this book. I'm not even sure what made me buy the book tbh--but something inside of me just told me to do so. It was on sale at a great price, so I bought myself and a friend a copy too. I began to read it and I thought hey! it might be better for me to start with then tai-chi! But, I always check things out w/my doctor before I start any 'new' exercise program.

LIke the essence of alchemy ... its all about circulation of energy ... when the energy starts flowing it 'cleans out the channels' ... a blast of high pressure water will clean the inside of the hose ... a bit of crud might arise ... hence the gradual build up to a higher level.

Also (and here closer to the analogy of alchemy) ... your chi ( or Qi ) will start to change as it circulates .
makes sense! I'm anxious to join, but since it is only one day a week and only for an hour each week--I imagine the dvds mentioned to me will help on the off days. From all I hear and read so far (the book & other places), it is something you have to do on a regular basis and build on, pretty much like any other form of exercise.

In my past (when I used to have a drink now and again ) .... 5 mins of circulating 'fire dragon' breath would cure any hangover.

:laugh: "fire dragon"? is this a qi-gong phrase? might come in handy sometime too! :D