Queen of Swords as relationship status

Emsie

What does the Queen of Swords mean as someone's relationship status?

Does it mean that the person in question is single?

Luna-Ocean

I've always viewed the Q of swords as very alone and can also mean a divorced woman in some readings, she is more ruled by her head and thoughts then her heart and she might prefer to avoid being in complicated relationships.

RunningWild

She might be divorced or widowed, or just single. I'm not usually inclined to see her in relationships when she pops up in a spread, but that doesn't mean she can't be. Her situation is usually one of an emotional loss that causes her to distance herself from others, even while trying to help (outstretched hand in the Rider Waite comes to mind). Or, she might just be an "ice queen". :D

conurelover

I think it means she is single and likes to stay that way.

cheimonette

I read the Queen of Swords as a person whose most desirable course of action is to be single. She will usually feel this to be the case, although a weak resolve or lack of confidence may lead to her passive acceptance of a partner or helpmate. This is not to say that she may not be passionate or desire to be close with other people, but her personality will not bear the restrictions of a romantic commitment. She has an incisive intellect and feels emotions keenly, and is ideologically independent to the point of pride; her sense of self-worth will not hold up long under such emotional obligations and vulnerability as is demanded in intimate friendships and romantic partnerships. This is not to say she isn't generous or inclined to take an interest in other people, but she sees herself as a passing angel (so to speak) of blessing and inspiration, not as a parent or a lover.

(I say "she" for simplicity's sake, but the Queen of Swords is just as likely to represent a man. I hardly ever take the Tarot court cards at their gender face value.)

Emsie

I've always viewed the Q of swords as very alone and can also mean a divorced woman in some readings, she is more ruled by her head and thoughts then her heart and she might prefer to avoid being in complicated relationships.

She might be divorced or widowed, or just single. I'm not usually inclined to see her in relationships when she pops up in a spread, but that doesn't mean she can't be. Her situation is usually one of an emotional loss that causes her to distance herself from others, even while trying to help (outstretched hand in the Rider Waite comes to mind). Or, she might just be an "ice queen". :D

I think it means she is single and likes to stay that way.

I read the Queen of Swords as a person whose most desirable course of action is to be single. She will usually feel this to be the case, although a weak resolve or lack of confidence may lead to her passive acceptance of a partner or helpmate. This is not to say that she may not be passionate or desire to be close with other people, but her personality will not bear the restrictions of a romantic commitment. She has an incisive intellect and feels emotions keenly, and is ideologically independent to the point of pride; her sense of self-worth will not hold up long under such emotional obligations and vulnerability as is demanded in intimate friendships and romantic partnerships. This is not to say she isn't generous or inclined to take an interest in other people, but she sees herself as a passing angel (so to speak) of blessing and inspiration, not as a parent or a lover.

(I say "she" for simplicity's sake, but the Queen of Swords is just as likely to represent a man. I hardly ever take the Tarot court cards at their gender face value.)

Thanks everyone for the great answers, it turned out that the person in question is most likely indeed single. And yes, it's about a man. :)

nisaba

What does the Queen of Swords mean as someone's relationship status?

Does it mean that the person in question is single?

She may be the description of their partner, male or female - yes, this card can describe men. She may be a warning that they don't want you to know that information - a raised sword is always a bit of a threat.

Emsie

She may be the description of their partner, male or female - yes, this card can describe men. She may be a warning that they don't want you to know that information - a raised sword is always a bit of a threat.

He's quite a private man indeed (Virgos tend to be private people), so I guess he doesn't like it when someone wants to ask about his love life. :D

I hope he doesn't hide anyone...

gypsiejones71

For me, queens can represent feelings and self-perceptions. He may be in a relationship, but feeling quite single and isolated if the relationship is cold and unfulfilling.

earthmama

I would see this Queen of Swords as indicating he his single, divorced, widowed. He is not in a committed relationship at this time. I don't always see the QoS as wanting to stay single...it's just the status for a question like this.